building a house

Started by JPF, July 23, 2009, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: stiff breeze on August 06, 2022, 08:37:02 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 02, 2022, 09:05:08 AM
Cheers lads. Should have said its a new build so digging up the garden is no hassle as there is no garden yet. Thing holding me back was the cost of the tank itself.

Are heat pumps a viable option yet?

Air source heat pumps in conjunction with solar panels and plenty of insulation and air tightness is a viable option

The problem with heat pumps (and likewise with electric cars) is the capacity is not there on the grid to deal with all of this. There is a big push for these things but the infrastructure is far from ready and there isn't much sign of it being upgraded to meet the demand of every house having an electric car/heat pump.

I was talking to a building contractor recently and he said NIE near shite themselves when they apply for new electricity supply to developments incase there are heat pumps and electric charging points in the houses.

If you do go with a heat pump, insulation and air tightness are absolutely key. You'd be better to spend your money there than fancy designs etc as they are much more difficult and expensive to retro fit down the line.

Hereiam

With the change in the building regulations any new homes July this year are going to need either PV panels or air/ground source heat pumps to pass.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hereiam on August 08, 2022, 09:13:25 AM
With the change in the building regulations any new homes July this year are going to need either PV panels or air/ground source heat pumps to pass.

Is that in the North Hereiam?

Was there a change recently in the south where you have to put in electric heating systems? Not sure if I picked it up wrong from a southern friend. But he was saying all new houses weren't allowed oil/ gas/ solid fuel systems? (I'm in the north)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Hereiam

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 08, 2022, 11:06:56 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on August 08, 2022, 09:13:25 AM

Is that in the North Hereiam?

Was there a change recently in the south where you have to put in electric heating systems? Not sure if I picked it up wrong from a southern friend. But he was saying all new houses weren't allowed oil/ gas/ solid fuel systems? (I'm in the north)

Yea this is in the North

blewuporstuffed

What are anyone's experience with A2W heat pumps?
I have read such mixed views on them. I would really like to go that route but struggling to justify the extra expense v an oil burner.
What are the running costs like?
I am based in the north btw
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thebigfella

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 18, 2022, 01:23:19 PM
I have read such mixed views on them. I would really like to go that route but struggling to justify the extra expense v an oil burner.

From where? If I listen to the oul fella i'd would have built a cave as there would be nothing to go wrong  :D

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: thebigfella on August 18, 2022, 02:44:35 PM

From where? If I listen to the oul fella i'd would have built a cave as there would be nothing to go wrong  :D
I have heard alot of people talk about huge electric bills with the ASHP , for me the whole point s thattheyare cheaper to run than oil. 
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

RedHand88

They are very very sore on electric I've heard. The cost of electric probably negating any benefit to them. Plus the initial outlay is expensive. I'm putting oil in.

Tony Baloney

Sounds like my missus. Doesn't matter what car manufacturer is mentioned but she has heard from such and suchs cousin they they had bother with said brand of car therefore they must be a terrible car and aren't to be touched.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 18, 2022, 07:53:08 PM

Sounds like my missus. Doesn't matter what car manufacturer is mentioned but she has heard from such and suchs cousin they they had bother with said brand of car therefore they must be a terrible car and aren't to be touched.
;D sounds familiar

knockitdown

Anyone got a land mortgage to buy a site? Not looking to build just yet (given the current circumstances) but have the opportunity to buy the site we want now.

And while on the subject, a general rule of thumb would have been £90sqft for a self build (I'm led to believe to get u in). Anyone able to advise what it is today given the price rises over the last few years?

RedHand88

Quote from: knockitdown on September 27, 2022, 09:56:26 PM
Anyone got a land mortgage to buy a site? Not looking to build just yet (given the current circumstances) but have the opportunity to buy the site we want now.

And while on the subject, a general rule of thumb would have been £90sqft for a self build (I'm led to believe to get u in). Anyone able to advise what it is today given the price rises over the last few years?

I'll PM you.

WT4E

I have a room in my house which is not on a thermostat its just got on double radiator (the rest of the house UFH with zoned thermostats)

I was wondering how I could easily regulate the heat in that room so that it wont be cold but also won't call for heat constantly and waste oil.

I was looking at smart radiator valves but don't understand how they work if they are switching off when warm enough wont they just turn off too quickly as they right beside the radiator?

God14

Quote from: WT4E on October 12, 2022, 09:20:38 AM
I have a room in my house which is not on a thermostat its just got on double radiator (the rest of the house UFH with zoned thermostats)

I was wondering how I could easily regulate the heat in that room so that it wont be cold but also won't call for heat constantly and waste oil.

I was looking at smart radiator valves but don't understand how they work if they are switching off when warm enough wont they just turn off too quickly as they right beside the radiator?

can you not just use a traditional TRV? Turn the rad down low?

WT4E

Quote from: God14 on October 12, 2022, 09:45:24 AM
Quote from: WT4E on October 12, 2022, 09:20:38 AM

can you not just use a traditional TRV? Turn the rad down low?

I haven't a clue. If i had eat on al time even with TRV and heat down low wont it use more oil than I would like????

I see online it should be used in conjunction with a room stat. I dont have one