Ros away to Dublin 20th July 2019

Started by Rossfan, July 15, 2019, 12:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Dublin will stroll it if it was played on the moon.

At least the Rossies get the experience of getting hammered in Croker as opposed to some midlands dump.

weareros

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2019, 11:13:31 AM

Like Croker, there'd be no atmosphere.

Owenmoresider

At least the Rossies get the experience of getting hammered in Croker as opposed to some midlands dump.
I know, they'll have the joy of an extra hour or two to relive said hammering on the journey home. In a line of cars snaking out of Dublin or an more expensive public transport, no €2.70 15-20 min rides home for them.

armaghniac

Quote from: weareros on July 17, 2019, 11:22:18 AM

Like Croker, there'd be no atmosphere.

you'd want to be a lunatic to play there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 17, 2019, 11:36:06 AM

I know, they'll have the joy of an extra hour or two to relive said hammering on the journey home. In a line of cars snaking out of Dublin or an more expensive public transport, no €2.70 15-20 min rides home for them.

Like the majority of the population of Roscommon, they can also chose to leave it.

Hound

Be interesting to see how Cunningham approaches this game (and whether his approach would differ depending on the result of the first game!)

You'd have to think Cox will be well up to rectify last week. Very important that Roscommon set up to leave him one-on-one with his marker, then he could cause lots of trouble. But if they allow Dublin free defenders, so we can have one in front and one behind, then we'll likely cope easily enough.

Some selection dilemmas for Jim Gavin. Presumably Dean Rock will replace Cormac Costello. I would like to see Costello play without the responsibility of freetaking (he's decent and will have 100% days, but I don't think with his technique he'll ever be as reliable as Rock from frees), but unfortunately for him, he has to be first in line for the chop. Mannion has been deadly this year, but was quiet enough last week, Con about the opposite, but both ahead of Cormac.

I'm sure the aim is to have Cooper and McCarthy in the starting line-up for the semi-finals, but not sure who'll miss out. O'Sullivan has had a resurgence this year, but took a step back last week. If he's allowed sweep, he's still top drawer, and he's still probably the best foot passer of our defenders. But if forced to man-mark, he starts to look a bit leggy. Murchan, O'Carroll and Lowndes also trying to get a look in.

Hard to imagine Connolly getting onto the bench, given Bernard has been plugging away for months without making the 26. Personally I'd love to see Diarmo replace O'Gara on the bench. Andrews, Small Jnr and Kev Mac have been on the bench throughout, just getting a few minutes here and there, but it's borderline impossible to break into the first 15. Maybe they'll all get their chance in the third game if we've already qualified. Potentially Gavin could chop and change for this game and next game, so all contenders get a good chance to stake their claim over the 2 games, but I don't see him going down that road.

I feckin hate 7pm games, and I'm only 30 minutes down the road. Not sure why there isn't more furore about such late throw-ins especially when teams have to travel across the country to get there.

Rossfan

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2019, 01:52:26 PM

Like the majority of the population of Roscommon, they can also chose to leave it.
One sixth of the population of Roscommon attended the Hyde Saturday.
One forty fifth of the population of Dublin attended Croke Park Saturday.
Go back to your soccer you floot  >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

greatpoint

I would imagine trying to play Gaelic Football on the moon would be an incredibly difficult undertaking.

weareros

I see bookies have Dublin to win by 15 points. I think that is more than for Meath, Cork and Kildare. I guess beating Mayo and Galway away from home means nothing at this stage. I believe we'll be well able to throw that back in their face come 9 or so on Saturday.

Hound

Quote from: weareros on July 17, 2019, 03:07:30 PM
I see bookies have Dublin to win by 15 points. I think that is more than for Meath, Cork and Kildare. I guess beating Mayo and Galway away from home means nothing at this stage. I believe we'll be well able to throw that back in their face come 9 or so on Saturday.
Yep, Meath and Cork would be respected more than Roscommon. Even though the Rossies have been well ahead of them for the last few years.

Blowitupref

Quote from: weareros on July 17, 2019, 03:07:30 PM
Cork lost by 13,Meath 16 and Kildare 15.

I reckon Dublin by 9 points something like 1-19 to 1-10.  If it's a game that Dublin get in for easy goals as they did v Louth,Cork then the margin will be greater but i would think Roscommon's defence isn't as open as those teams. Gavin will likely be ruthless with his selection with a focus to not allow another big score to be conceded this weekend, I'd expect longer game time for Cooper,McCarthy.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 17, 2019, 02:42:54 PM

Is my point. Most Roscommoners dont live there, unless you are actually arguing 1 in 6 locals went, which would be silly.

armaghniac

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2019, 06:08:12 PM

Is my point. Most Roscommoners dont live there, unless you are actually arguing 1 in 6 locals went, which would be silly.

He is using locals, who have similar travel, in both cases. This seems like a fair comparison.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on July 17, 2019, 06:15:32 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 17, 2019, 06:08:12 PM

He is using locals, who have similar travel, in both cases. This seems like a fair comparison.

They will have to travel regardless of venue. Thats the choice they make for a rural life. Dubs dont have to travel as far because they chose to live near things.