Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Link

Quote from: SaffronSports on December 12, 2023, 01:24:07 PMMichael McShane has stepped down from Slaughtneil. Any word on who might replace him?
I'd imagine that'll be inhouse.

Wildweasel74

We going well at the minute, best in a long time, don't know what all the complaining is about!

JoG2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 13, 2023, 06:27:38 PMWe going well at the minute, best in a long time, don't know what all the complaining is about!

Yes, but the concern on here from posters seems to be for the future WW

Wildweasel74

I think they vague on what's excately changed and why? From improving fball in the county I always thought schools outside MacCrory Cup needed help to improve, the bigger underage player base there is and be very strong School level, to me gives more players to work with. Tyrone now up to 4 schools at Macrory level,

Silver hill

Leaving aside how he manufactured the position whilst still chair, there should have been sufficient governance in place to keep him in check. Unfortunately, our current chair has no interest in providing that and a cozy cartel now ensues whereby the chair is happy to attend the funerals and give out the medals at the dinner dances whilst the ceo does exactly as he sees fit.
As mentioned previously Mckeever had attempted to put a football committee in place with people who actually knew something about the game but like everything else, the strategic plan that was proposed was read and then swiftly binned. Complete waste of Damian Cassidy's time and that of Phillip Kerr, Danny Quinn et all. Barkers role is to implement the strategies and recommendations of the wider county board (who in turn represent the clubs within the county). Instead, it is indeed the 'tail wagging the dog' as Barker is operating without impunity, scrutiny or accountability. Witness the recent hissy fits when he was publicly challenged on the age group changes. He appointed his mate Collins without taking nominations from clubs or consulting anyone else. Jonny McBride was interested in the job but withdrew because he didn't agree with the back room team that was being suggested for him by Barker. Add in his misplaced loyalty to Gallagher which meant that we we forced to go for Harte when ulster council scuppered Gallagher's return.
Add to that his petulance at Derry games, effing and blinding and roaring at refs and the President of the association. It really hasn't been a great start if you take a real good look at everything.

Derry Optimist

With the absence of the Glen players and the possible unavailability of the not fully recovered Odhran Lynch, Padraig McGrogan and Gareth McKinless from long term injuries, it will be interesting to see what Mickey Harte's first Derry selection for the McKenna Cup opener will be against Cavan on January 3rd. Perhaps it could be along the following lines.
                       Ryan Scullion
Paul McNeill           Chrissy McKaigue           Conor McCluskey
Shea Downey            Eoin McEvoy                Conor Doherty
               Dan Higgins       Brendan Rogers
Niall Toner            Lorcan Murray              Paul Cassidy
Enda Downey            Shane McGuigan             Niall Loughlin

Subs: Peter Stuart,Marty Bradley,Diarmuid Baker, Padraig Cassidy, Declan Cassidy,Mark Doherty, Oisin McWilliams(if fit), Ben McCarron, Matthew Downey, Cahir McMonagle, Niall O'Donnell

Wildweasel74

Why even bother playing a team of first teamers, the season long enough as it is.

Red10

Quote from: Derry Optimist on December 22, 2023, 01:13:56 PMWith the absence of the Glen players and the possible unavailability of the not fully recovered Odhran Lynch, Padraig McGrogan and Gareth McKinless from long term injuries, it will be interesting to see what Mickey Harte's first Derry selection for the McKenna Cup opener will be against Cavan on January 3rd. Perhaps it could be along the following lines.
                       Ryan Scullion
Paul McNeill           Chrissy McKaigue           Conor McCluskey
Shea Downey            Eoin McEvoy                Conor Doherty
               Dan Higgins       Brendan Rogers
Niall Toner            Lorcan Murray              Paul Cassidy
Enda Downey            Shane McGuigan             Niall Loughlin

Subs: Peter Stuart,Marty Bradley,Diarmuid Baker, Padraig Cassidy, Declan Cassidy,Mark Doherty, Oisin McWilliams(if fit), Ben McCarron, Matthew Downey, Cahir McMonagle, Niall O'Donnell

McKenna should be a chance to give some other lads a chamce to show what they can offer. If they don't now they are unlikely to in the league. What have the Downeys done at club level recently to warrant starting or even be in the squad in front of others. Hopefully Harte will not care what the surname is or what club you are from.

Wildweasel74

Well Shea Downey good enough.the others we don't know, and moving to a Antrim team not improve their situation, The minor team which won the All-Ireland a few years back is 21 age group now, and only really McAvoy had come through, Maybe Higgins get a chance this year, but I had expected about getting six of that team.

Derry Optimist

I agree with Red 10 that the McKenna Cup should be used to blood new or existing players who up to now have not got an opportunity to get meaningful  game time. By the same token, if new players are to get a fair opportunity to play well at least half of the selected team should be regular key players.That is the only sensible way for new players to be introduced. Playing a second string side or a team of ten or more newcomers will not have the desired effect of developing young or inexperienced players.

Re Matthew and Enda Downey both should definitely be on the Derry panel. Matthew got a serious injury playing for the Derry u20 team last year and likewise Enda was out for even longer because of injury. However, both did serious rehab work and were able to play for St Brigid's in the Antrim SFC. According to reports in the local press, both of them played key roles along with Shea Downey as St Brigid's improved considerably game on game to reach the Antrim semi final before bowing out to eventual winners Cargin last September. Along with Lachlan Murray and Niall O'Donnell, Derry badly need other scoring options in the forward line. I  believe, if fully fit, the Downey cousins would be a huge boost in this regard

Derry Optimist

I would also agree with much of what Wildweasel 74 has said about the team which won the 2020 All Ireland minor title in 2021. Six of that side were selected on the minor team of the year ie Kian McGonigle,Lee Brady, Eoin McEvoy, Mark Doherty, Matthew Downey and Lachlan Murray.
 One could also have made a very strong case for Dan Higgins and Donncha Gilmore to be included also. McEvoy has certainly come through and Murray has to be a serious candidate for a first team place in 2024.

One would expect Matthew Downey, Mark Doherty and Dan Higgins to be real challengers for being selected on match day squads in the coming league. I just do not know enough about the progress of Lee Brady and Donncha Gilmore to make a judgment call on them.I do know that Eunan Mulholland, when available, will surely be another panel option for a match day squad.

tbrick18

I think Harte will play as strong a side as he can whilst introducing some of the new/younger players during the mckenna cup.
He had form for this when with Tyrone and it was one of the reasons why so many got fed up with him. It was often said he was too loyal to established players and didn't bring enough young players through.
I can't see him changing his approach, though his hand will be forced somewhat by the absence of the Glen players and the long term injured.

Does anyone know the status of Lynch/McKinless/McGrogan?
Will the Slaughtneil lads all be available given their run in the hurling?

It is a tricky enough thing to balance out though...try to maintain the core of the team and introduce new players without weakening the whole.

Wildweasel74

Good see a good mix of new starts.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 02, 2024, 07:29:24 PMGood see a good mix of new starts.

Aye, it should be interesting. Hopefully a few of the young lads will push on this year.