All Ireland final 2013 Tyrone v mayo (minors)

Started by rrhf, September 01, 2013, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

From the Bunker

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 02, 2013, 12:36:18 AM
Tyrone won McKenna Cup 2013.

Like i said, How will ye feel winning nothing this year?

(Did ye have a homecoming for it?)

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ONeill on September 02, 2013, 12:00:45 AM
Have Mayo ever lost both finals in one year? That'd be a new goal.

Mayo are ok in this department.

Kerry lost both in 1982, the year of Seamus Darby goal.

ross4life

This Tyrone minor team is not a patch on their last minor team that beat us (2008) while this is probably the best Mayo minor team since 2008. Will be a big surprised if our neighbours don't win this win and i expect them to win by 4-6 points.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Aaron Boone

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2013, 12:38:02 AM

Right up there with The Mall in Castlebar 2012.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 02, 2013, 12:44:47 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2013, 12:38:02 AM

Right up there with The Mall in Castlebar 2012.

Meeeeooooooow! Got ya!

Crete Boom

Quote from: ONeill on September 02, 2013, 12:30:11 AM
If Mayo lose both finals, how do you make sense of your existence down there?

A few barrels of porter and a couple of bottles of whiskey on the Sat night and repeat again on the Sunday night usually does the trick although with two potential victories losses I would probably up the doseage starting on the Friday night to put some extra foundation in ;).

Chimley

Quote from: ross4life on September 02, 2013, 12:44:08 AM
This Tyrone minor team is not a patch on their last minor team that beat us (2008) while this is probably the best Mayo minor team since 2008. Will be a big surprised if our neighbours don't win this win and i expect them to win by 4-6 points.

Think our 2010 team was better than 2008 and should have beaten the highly rated Tyrone team in the semi. However both were beaten by Tyrone, so that is all we need to know with regard to our prospects in the final. Our luck is due a turn.

clarshack

this team is probably the weakest tyrone minor team to reach an all ireland final since i've been following football. there's a lot of ordinary players in the side but i think its a reflection on the standard of minor level as a whole throughout the country.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: clarshack on September 02, 2013, 01:26:58 PM
this team is probably the weakest tyrone minor team to reach an all ireland final since i've been following football. there's a lot of ordinary players in the side but i think its a reflection on the standard of minor level as a whole throughout the country.

I'd agree with that. I am not sure any of the lads will feature for Tyrone seniors bar maybe McKenna. Saying that in reaching the AI final and attaining more than the sum of their parts that says more about the team than anything.

They all have a work ethic and give 100%. Qualities that appeal to Mickey Harte so you never know re making the Tyrone break through.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rois

Someone told me that quite a lot of the players will still be underage next year too - or is that just McKenna?

ross4life

Quote from: Chimley on September 02, 2013, 11:26:54 AM
Quote from: ross4life on September 02, 2013, 12:44:08 AM

Think our 2010 team was better than 2008 and should have beaten the highly rated Tyrone team in the semi. However both were beaten by Tyrone, so that is all we need to know with regard to our prospects in the final. Our luck is due a turn.

True you should have beaten Tyrone likewise Galway when they should have beaten Cork but IMO the 2010 team were carried by free scoring Cillian O'Connor & the standard of minor level back then was lower than now or in 2008.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Crete Boom

Well Tyrone will be confident no matter how limited they think these minors are because they more often than not get the better of us at underage level.

The one think that might stand to us is we often perfrom well in minor finals like in 2008 & 2009 and don't seem to collapse to the same degree as the seniors have in recent times.

It is minor level though and while we have performed well in all the games up to this but our minors haven't faced any real defensive teams bar Monaghan last time out and their defensive system was fairly rudementry compare to Tyrone's counter attack game (they haven't played a blanket defence since the Kerry semi in 2003 but don't let the bar stool experts know that ;)) which might swamp our attacking wing backs?

We have tons of firepower up front but like most minor teams they can shoot on sight from crazy angles if under pressure and if Tyrone push Burns into midfield from the start Val Roughneen and O Connor could struggle.

It should be a titanic battle between McKenna and Coen on the forty.

I think Goals will as always be vital and Mayo have average nearly 3 (2.8 to be exact) per game so if we hit our average again I think we should do it but will we have the patience to break down Tyrone because it can be taken as a given they will have the composure to wear us down with plenty of attacking skill to throw into the mix too!

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Rois on September 02, 2013, 02:04:49 PM
Someone told me that quite a lot of the players will still be underage next year too - or is that just McKenna?

Yeah. Funny I come on here to retract my statement about none of the players making it for Tyrone. I hadn't realized that quite a few of the boys are still eligible next season. In fact the CHF (Mulgrew?) has another 2 years left at minor!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

larryin89

If we don't win this ,I give up.Tyrone were pretty ordinary yesterday to put it mildly,Ross should of won,very unlucky not to develop a big margin before ht.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .