Áth Cliath V An Dún. 7 30pm 02 Aibreain 2011

Started by 5 Sams, March 22, 2011, 02:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

QuoteNice picture of the Dublin goading in today's Irish Times.

You're joking right- That's Alan Brogan celebrating into the hill and right after it he looked skywards in memory of his grandfather.

QuoteThe whistles on the Hill need to stop

Ageed - so bloody annoying

My thoughts are like McCartan's as quoted in the Times;

McCartan left town intrigued, like a man who hadn't quite been able to finish a particularly devilish Sudoku puzzle before his lunchbreak was up. "Never thought I'd come to Croke Park and find that Jedward would be the highlight of the evening," he mused.

"We've no complaints about the defeat. You like coming to Croke Park and getting the experience and certainly Dublin asked a whole load of different questions today that other teams hadn't asked of us throughout the league. I'm sure the football was very poor to watch because that's the way it felt from where I was standing. The set-ups of both teams didn't really lend themselves to good football."

Jinxy

Quote from: highorlow on April 04, 2011, 09:21:15 AM
Nice picture of the Dublin goading in today's Irish Times.

The whistles on the Hill need to stop.

:D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

PAULD123

Quote from: highorlow on April 04, 2011, 09:21:15 AM
Nice picture of the Dublin goading in today's Irish Times.

The whistles on the Hill need to stop.

Even though the goal was very fortunate Brogan has every right to celebrate and he just happened to be in front of the Hill, its not like he raced the length of the pitch to get there. I have no problem with him celebrating what was a dramatic winner on a night tinged with sadness for him personally.

As for the whistles, it was a disgrace and on more than one occasion I saw players stutter their runs as a result of it. I would urge anyone who sees someone doing it to notify the stewards

heffo

Quote from: highorlow on April 04, 2011, 10:38:07 AM
He looks to me to be goading the Down goalkeeper...?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/

He's not - he's looking directly past the Down keeper into the Hill - please retract your statement above

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/503372/

PAULD123

Let's have an end to this now please, better we talk about football.

highorlow, please watch rte player, you will get the League Sunday programme and you will see on the highlights that Brogan's natural run takes him right into where Adler is standing, they instantly move aside from each other and Brogan stands in the net shouting to the hill. The photo you saw is the instant they are separating.

Now football - I think it may be time to start a Kerry vs Down thread and move over there. Before I go a message to Dublin fans. Just in case Armagh do lose to Cork, we will forgive you Saturday night's defeat of us if you would do us a favour and lose to Galway, thus relegating Armagh. Go on lads you've nothing to play for anyway!!!

highorlow

QuoteHe's not - he's looking directly past the Down keeper into the Hill - please retract your statement above

Fair enough. I'll be watching out for the goading come the championship though.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

PAULD123

Quote from: highorlow on April 04, 2011, 10:55:18 AM
QuoteHe's not - he's looking directly past the Down keeper into the Hill - please retract your statement above

Let's have an end to this now please, better we talk about football.

highorlow, please watch rte player, you will get the League Sunday programme and you will see on the highlights that Brogan's natural run takes him right into where Adler is standing, they instantly move aside from each other and Brogan stands in the net shouting to the hill. The photo you saw is the instant they are separating.

Now football - I think it may be time to start a Kerry vs Down thread and move over there. Before I go a message to Dublin fans. Just in case Armagh do lose to Cork, we will forgive you Saturday night's defeat of us if you would do us a favour and lose to Galway, thus relegating Armagh. Go on lads you've nothing to play for anyway!!!

heffo

Quote from: highorlow on April 04, 2011, 10:55:18 AM

You worry about Mayo - you've enough on your plate as it is.

NP 76

Just watched game again and after reading posts about Daniel Mc Cartan getting booked maybe i am wrong but the ref never warned him about shirt pulling before his booking also the ref wasnt told by his umpire about it so as to issue the card . In my opinon Bernard Brogan was hollding on to Daniels shorts maybe if he had of consulted with the umpire he would of seen this

dublin7

Quote from: NP 76 on April 04, 2011, 03:07:25 PM
Just watched game again and after reading posts about Daniel Mc Cartan getting booked maybe i am wrong but the ref never warned him about shirt pulling before his booking also the ref wasnt told by his umpire about it so as to issue the card . In my opinon Bernard Brogan was hollding on to Daniels shorts maybe if he had of consulted with the umpire he would of seen this

I was on the hill. Umpire spoke to the ref, who in turn warned McCartan. He can have no complaints

PAULD123

Quote from: dublin7 on April 04, 2011, 06:05:19 PM
Quote from: NP 76 on April 04, 2011, 03:07:25 PM

I was on the hill. Umpire spoke to the ref, who in turn warned McCartan. He can have no complaints

I think he can complain as it wasn't a foul in the first place.

Brogan half fell and half pushed McCartan but it certainly wasn't a foul.

What I find frustrating is that the ref awarded the foul - okay we all make mistakes. But by the time he had ran to McCartan the replay was already on the screen showing that it was no foul. Then he booked McCartan. The evidence was right in front of him to realise his mistake. I don't expect him to overturn his decision but he should have at least realised his error from the screen images and not given an erroneous yellow card which compounded his mistake.

By umpire I assume you mean linesman as that isn't the umpire's role. And for that matter the linesman isn't allowed to do it either. I'm pretty sure the linesman is only allowed to bring the referees attention to "violent conduct". Incidentally would this be the same linesman who never bothered to point out to the ref when Bastick tried to take the face off Marty Clarke's in the middle of the pitch, which certainly was "violent conduct"?

The Aristocrat

A lot of sour grapes floating around, analysing every tackle, every free, this that and the other, you would swear they were playing soccer, hard tackling is the name of the game. Still alot of hate for the Dubs out there which is fair enough but keep it for the pub, this isnt Hoganstand.

Anybody have the stats on how many times Down handpassed the ball, i dont think i seen them kick the ball except for shooting?

Brick Tamlin

Came away from the match on saturday night not only disappointed but i also felt short changed. Part of me thinks it would have been better to stay at home and watch it on the telly (cue the bullshit about not being a real Down fan, bla bla bla).

I was going to the game expecting two evenly enough matched teams to go toe to toe in what should have been a pretty open and relatively entertaining spectacle. Dublin and Down both provided one of the best days last summer when they both won and upset the odds with direct, high-octane entertaining football but saturday night both teams were playing as if afraid to take a chance or to go for the jugular.
Being biased id of course say that for some reason Dublin employed some god awful negative tactics. Down werent able to cope with so many bodies packing the Dublin defence resulting in a keep-ball orgy of sidewards and backwards passing, not to mention the shit-yer-pants short kickouts to retain posession.
Also felt the ref was pretty incompetent, third-man tackles, body-checks, stopping the runner at all costs, it was like watching our applemunching neighbours next door in their prime.
Disappointed in both teams for not playing a better brand of football and not providing a spectacle.
That being siad, im sure anyone playing or involved will give a flying f**k about enteraining or keeping the masses in the stands satisfied.

andunabu

Quote from: The Aristocrat on April 04, 2011, 07:08:57 PM
A lot of sour grapes floating around, analysing every tackle, every free, this that and the other, you would swear they were playing soccer, hard tackling is the name of the game. Still alot of hate for the Dubs out there which is fair enough but keep it for the pub, this isnt Hoganstand.

Anybody have the stats on how many times Down handpassed the ball, i dont think i seen them kick the ball except for shooting?
Mmmm... did Dublin not hand pass it a lot also? Didn't put men behind the ball??  Some of the Dublin tackling was OTT and the Referee was shocking in his interpretation of the rules! A cert penalty for Benny not given, Marty Clarke nearly decapitated, Fitzpatrick was "done"off the ball and at least 3 Dublin 13 metre frees for mmm... anything that comes to mind because the referee obviously didn't know. 
But on to football.  Dublin's zone defence is not the real deal. But they have some great movement in the forward line. We played Ok, scored 13 points and missed a few scorable chances.  But I thought we were guilty of a lot of overplay and bad passing. We also gifted 2 goals.  Feel sorry for Kalum King and McVeigh. Thought there was nothing in the  Alan Brogan incident, the lad scores a goal into the hill in the last minute to win.  Fair play to the Brogan lads for even playing given the circumstances.  An entertaining league game and a great evenings value for 15 euro.