Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

armaghniac

As I said before.
Money absolutely should be spent in Dublin encouraging kids to take up gaelic games, although of course similar money should be spent in Kildare, Belfast, Derry, Cork etc. But that money must not be allowed create either super clubs or a super county which is on a different scale than the rest of the GAA.

The present Dublin monster should have twice the clubs and three or four times the number county teams.
People cannot just ignore the elephant in the room.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on September 14, 2018, 04:04:03 PM
As I said before.
Money absolutely should be spent in Dublin encouraging kids to take up gaelic games, although of course similar money should be spent in Kildare, Belfast, Derry, Cork etc. But that money must not be allowed create either super clubs or a super county which is on a different scale than the rest of the GAA.

The present Dublin monster should have twice the clubs and three or four times the number county teams.
People cannot just ignore the elephant in the room.

Nail on head

priceyreilly

I agree with the above and at this stage we have to take it out of Dublin's hands. We can see with their media campaign, statements from former players, supporters etc that they have no intention of even admitting the reality of the situation even though it's clear for all of us to see.
The rest of us must stand together and put a stop to it. The current President from Dublin is a supporter of kicking the weaker counties into a losers competition. We can't let this happen. It would be the death knell for Gaelic Football in these counties. Previous B competitions have not worked and the interest in them would be zero. Players will not join up for the farce and the standards would drop in all those counties.

It would end up like hurling where you have a championship with only 9 or 10 competing seriously and the others can never catch up. There is an example in hurling however in which a solution can be found to the lack of competitive matches. One county was way behind the level of the top teams but now they compete at the top level, have won a provincial championship and a national league. That county is Dublin. They were at the same level as Laois, Antrim and even Westmeath beat them in 2006.
What happened? Millions of euro got pumped into Dublin GAA, paid coaches in huge numbers went to clubs, elite player pathways were created. They are now realistic All Ireland contenders and a Dublin club team has won the previous 2 All Ireland's. It's been a complete turnaround.

This is the template, this is how you make teams competitive. You fund them but you must fund them all. It has to be fair and equitable. This picking specific counties or the East Leinster plan is complete nonsense. And it's not just a case of throwing money at counties and letting them away with it. That would be foolish. In Dublin, highly paid officials were put in place to oversee the spending, to ensure it was being used wisely and standards were met. This would have to be repeated across the country. If targets and standards aren't being met then you get your funding cut.

Now, what happens in Dublin you ask? Obviously they must be split but everyone shouldn't look at this negatively, including the Dubs. The four way split will obviously make county teams of Fingal, Dún Laoghaire/Rathdown, South Dublin and Dublin City. They will all get a fair share of the Games Development fund, as will every other county. These smaller zones will make it easier to promote GAA in our capital. They can take on the challenges facing them head on. The fight against rugby, soccer and in the city centre it could mean great news in the fight against drugs.
Other benefits include a far higher number of players will get access to inter county games, at both underage and senior level. It will also create 4 new local rivalries which will make for very entertaining games and it will have 4 new entrants in the Provincial and All Ireland championships as well as the league of course. The benefits are massive so this should be embraced.

Whatever we do, we must ensure that every county enters our competitions on an equal footing. We're heading down the wrong road at present and we must alter course before it's too late.

Rossfan

One question - when were there more than 9 or 10 teams seriously competing in the Hurling Championship?
3 Counties have won about 80% of them.
Wouldn't we love to have even 6 in the football! !
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

priceyreilly

Quote from: Rossfan on September 14, 2018, 06:04:37 PM
One question - when were there more than 9 or 10 teams seriously competing in the Hurling Championship?

I meant that 9 or 10 teams are competing in the A championship in hurling, the B championship have teams going up and down but never competing. That would be the same in football if the b championship is brought in. Whoever's in the a championship would push further and further ahead and that can't be reversed. Competing is different than contending.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 13, 2018, 06:35:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 13, 2018, 06:20:47 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on September 13, 2018, 04:47:30 PM
Calls to split Dublin are bullshit and thats from a Mayo supporter.In all honesty who wants to beat Fingal or North Dublin??? Yes Dublin have too many advantages that need to be looked at but splitting Dublin shouldnt be the answer.Having to play their all ireland quarter and semi finals away from croker would be a start IMO.

I want to beat Fingal or South Dublin, y'know actual existing counties in an inter-county sport. That's natural.

Not the rigged game that is fûcking rural counties like Roscommon or Mayo lining up to the take their next flaking from an amalgamation of four counties with a population greater than our province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Dublin

We're not an amalgamation, those "counties" were created as administrative areas. In the 90s. Not 1890s. 1990s.

Lot of thicks on the board about Dublin these days. Apparently, pointing that out means you are a financial doper, cheat, one-eyed etc.
I don't quite follow you here.I don't really want to spoil the fun and would prefer to let the pair of you at it. But, looking at the Wikipedia article you referenced, I find Dublin refereed to as a former county.
Furthermore, "Prior to 1994 County Dublin was also an administrative unit covering the whole county outside of Dublin City Council." By my reckoniing there was, in effect two local adminstration units before 1994.
Further on, this is part of what you'll find:
"The total population of the three aforementioned counties and Dublin city was 1,345,402 according to the census of 2016."
All counties were created to simplify the process of facilitating local administration and Dublin was no exception, beginning with those created by Kiing John after the Norman invasion with the western ones, "THe Composition of Connaught," in the late 1500s.
All that's heavy going but the fact is the division of Dublin County into three separate local administration units by the legal authority of the day, makes each of them a county. I mean they were created by the same process that created County Dublin in the first place.
(Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think so.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 14, 2018, 06:41:26 PM

I meant that 9 or 10 teams are competing in the A championship in hurling, the B championship have teams going up and down but never competing. That would be the same in football if the b championship is brought in. Whoever's in the a championship would push further and further ahead and that can't be reversed. Competing is different than contending.
So you are a prophet?

manfromdelmonte

what sport has seriously more than 5/6 teams that can win the competition?

premier league? nope
world cup rugby? nope
world cup football?

easytiger95

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 14, 2018, 07:25:32 PM
Calls to split Dublin are bullshit and thats from a Mayo supporter.In all honesty who wants to beat Fingal or North Dublin??? Yes Dublin have too many advantages that need to be looked at but splitting Dublin shouldnt be the answer.Having to play their all ireland quarter and semi finals away from croker would be a start IMO.

I want to beat Fingal or South Dublin, y'know actual existing counties in an inter-county sport. That's natural.

Not the rigged game that is fûcking rural counties like Roscommon or Mayo lining up to the take their next flaking from an amalgamation of four counties with a population greater than our province.

We're not an amalgamation, those "counties" were created as administrative areas. In the 90s. Not 1890s. 1990s.

Lot of thicks on the board about Dublin these days. Apparently, pointing that out means you are a financial doper, cheat, one-eyed etc.
I don't quite follow you here.I don't really want to spoil the fun and would prefer to let the pair of you at it. But, looking at the Wikipedia article you referenced, I find Dublin refereed to as a former county.
Furthermore, "Prior to 1994 County Dublin was also an administrative unit covering the whole county outside of Dublin City Council." By my reckoniing there was, in effect two local adminstration units before 1994.
"The total population of the three aforementioned counties and Dublin city was 1,345,402 according to the census of 2016."
All counties were created to simplify the process of facilitating local administration and Dublin was no exception, beginning with those created by Kiing John after the Norman invasion with the western ones, "THe Composition of Connaught," in the late 1500s.
All that's heavy going but the fact is the division of Dublin County into three separate local administration units by the legal authority of the day, makes each of them a county. I mean they were created by the same process that created County Dublin in the first place.

Dublin County and Dublin County Football team existed before the creation of these administrative areas. So neither can be considered an amalgamation 4 counties and it is moronic and/or intellectually dishonest to say that they are.

Like I said, a lot of thicks on this thread

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 17, 2018, 12:50:55 AM

Dublin County and Dublin County Football team existed before the creation of these administrative areas. So neither can be considered an amalgamation 4 counties and it is moronic and/or intellectually dishonest to say that they are.

They aren't 'administrative areas'. They're counties. This game is inter-county. Getit? Good.

CJ2017

Could you say that Tipperary were two separate counties playing as one pre 2014?  ???

easytiger95

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2018, 01:20:12 AM
Quote from: easytiger95 on September 17, 2018, 12:50:55 AM

They aren't 'administrative areas'. They're counties. This game is inter-county. Getit? Good.
I get that you sre either thick as a plank, a liar, or a combination of both. Dublin is a single county and always has been. The number of local bodies that administrate it are irrelevant  and in no uinverse could Dublin said to be an amalgamation ( which is mixing or merging of pre existing elements to form a new whole) considering those areas were only created in 1994. But that doesn't suit your self pitying narrative.
Got it? Good.

Rossfan

Never mind the technicalities -it's still 1.35 million playing against 30 to 150k .

easytiger95

No. It's not.

But please don't let technicalities - like truth, reason or basic grammar - get in the way.

Syferus

A lot of words to say very little of note. And childish insults to boot.