Kerry Championship

Started by GaaFanatic123, November 11, 2019, 10:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 14, 2019, 06:44:01 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on November 14, 2019, 05:43:37 PM
So how many 'clubs' could represent Kerry in Munster?

Im PRO with lancashire GAA. We hosted Kerry in the All Ireland Semi-Final in 2016. We held them to a draw at half time. They got three goals at start of second half to pull away. Adrian spillane got man of the match. . Jason Foley also played that day.

Two Kerry clubs, Skellig Rangers and brosna have beaten the Lancashire Champions, John mitchels twice, in All-Ireland's junior Championship Final by narrow margins.

They (Templenoe) played Ardnaree in the final that year and gave them a horrible embarrassing beating.  As an area Templenoe were/are punching above their weight in the Kerry League and Championship. But to let what is essentially a Intermediate B team into the All Ireland Junior series is a farce.

Beat lancashire and British champions, John Mitchels of Liverpool 2- 08 v 0-06. Tadgh morley was the captain. Gavin Crowley Player as did the  spillanes if I remember rightly. They brought some support. I got to interview pat Spillane.  Got

passedit

Quote from: Rossfan on November 14, 2019, 02:57:18 PM
And it got them 37 All Irelands.

The Kerry boys will tell you it's 38.  ;)
Don't Panic

Ball Hopper

15 Dec results in Kerry divisions:

North Kerry final:  St. Senan's 2-6 Brosna 0-5

East Kerry final:  Killarney Legion 1-18 Dr. Crokes 3-6

South Kerry semi-finals:  St. Mary's 2-6 Valentia 1-8; Dromid Pearses 1-8 Renard 0-8

Remaining fixture:

South Kerry final: St. Mary's v Dromid Pearses next Sunday 22 Dec in Portmagee 2pm.

EDIT:  Today in Rathmore, Austin Stacks beat Rathmore in the County League Div 1 final on penalties (4-3) after extra time.  From next year onward, there will be no Div 1 final...team with most points after 11 games wins the league.  Play-off if teams tied on points (no score difference rule).

AZOffaly

I'll be down in Portmagee next Sunday at the Dromid game, hoping they can spring the upset. The Marys will be favourites, but they scraped by Valentia.

magpie seanie

I may have missed this so apologies if I have. My question relates to the Kerry Divisional championships. Do all clubs in a Divisional area, regardless off status (senior/intermediate/junior/novice) enter? Are the championships a straight knockout competition?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2019, 11:22:23 AM
I may have missed this so apologies if I have. My question relates to the Kerry Divisional championships. Do all clubs in a Divisional area, regardless off status (senior/intermediate/junior/novice) enter? Are the championships a straight knockout competition?

All clubs are in the divisional championship Seanie.  Straight knock-out (no back door), but there is often some sort of seeding involved.  In East Kerry, as I recall, the four semi-finalists one year get a bye to the quarter finals the following year and are kept separate in the quarter-final draw.  That may or may not still be in place, but most divisions have some sort of seeding to allow a few preliminary games earlier in the year.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Ball Hopper on December 18, 2019, 05:10:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 18, 2019, 11:22:23 AM

All clubs are in the divisional championship Seanie.  Straight knock-out (no back door), but there is often some sort of seeding involved.  In East Kerry, as I recall, the four semi-finalists one year get a bye to the quarter finals the following year and are kept separate in the quarter-final draw.  That may or may not still be in place, but most divisions have some sort of seeding to allow a few preliminary games earlier in the year.

Thanks for that.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 16, 2019, 02:44:43 PM
I'll be down in Portmagee next Sunday at the Dromid game, hoping they can spring the upset. The Marys will be favourites, but they scraped by Valentia.

Draw in Portmagee:  St. Mary's 1-6 Dromid Pearses 0-9. 

Awaiting Az's report...seems there was some after game activity on this one.  No details so far, but could the photoshopped arm make a Christmas return for Dromid?

Edit:  Replay on 19 January due to Kerry team holiday in the meantime.

outinfront

So as far as I can see Divisional winners 2019:
North Kerry: St Senans
East Kerry: Legion
South Kerry: Dromid
West Kerry: Dingle
Mid Kerry: Milltown/Castlemaine

Are there divisional championships for Tralee, Kenmare and St Brendan's Districts?

AZOffaly

Fantastic win for Dromid. I was at the drawn game, when Dromid started brightly, but fell behind against the wind and looked like they were in big trouble, only for Mary's to withdraw into their shell, and invite Dromid on. A couple of late frees forced the replay.

The replay looked like a very nip and tuck affair on twitter, and from reports. Extra time, though, and Dromid seemed to be the ones with the legs and with the possession. Great win for my brother in law at 43 or 44 years of age, came off the bench :)

Ball Hopper

Kerry GAA Football Schedule 2020

1.    County Team

NFL: Jan 25 Dublin in Dublin; Feb 1 Galway in Tralee; Feb 9 Tyrone in Omagh; Feb 23 Meath in Killarney; Feb 29 Mayo in Castlebar; March 15 Monaghan in Iniskeen; March 22 Donegal in Killarney.  Note: Div 1 final set for March 29.

Munster Championship:  semi-final May. 24 v Cork  in Cork.  Note: Final set for June 21

AI Qualifiers:  June 27 and July 4

Super 8's: July 12, July 19, August 1

All-Ireland series: Semi-final August 9, Final August 30.

2.   Clubs

February:  16 and 23 District Leagues
March: 1st – District Leagues; 8 and 15 – Co. League Rds 1 and 2; 22nd – District Leagues, 29th – club championship if county not in NFL final.
April: 5th, 12th and 19th – Club championships group games; 25th – Senior Club final; 26th – Intermediate and Junior club semi-finals.

May: 3rd - Intermediate and Junior club Finals; 17th and 23rd – County League Rds 3 and 4.
June: 7th, 14th, 20th – Co League Rds 5, 6 and 7.  28th – Co League Rd 8 for dual clubs only.
July: 5th, 12th and 26th – Co League Rds 8, 9 and 10.  21st and 30th – U21 championship.

August: 6th and 13th – U21 semi-finals and final; 29th – County Championship qualifier if county not in All-Ireland Final.
September: 1st- County Championship qualifier if county in All-Ireland Final; 6th – Co League Rd 11 (final round); 13th, 20th and 27th – County Championship.
October: 4th – District championships; 11th – County Championship quarter-finals, 17th – District championships, 18th - County Championship semi-finals, 24th - District championships; 25th – County Championship Final, 31st - District championships.

November: 1st - County Championship Final Replay if necessary; 8th and 15th – District championship and Munster club; 22nd – District; 28th Munster Club finals; 29th - District.

December: 12th and 13th – All-Ireland Club semi-finals.

general_lee

This could easily go in the WTF thread - I see last year's Munster SFC finalists will be masquerading as an intermediate club for the 2023 season...

ClubScene13

Quote from: general_lee on October 23, 2022, 05:51:01 PM
This could easily go in the WTF thread - I see last year's Munster SFC finalists will be masquerading as an intermediate club for the 2023 season...

100% sir. A total farce. And TG4 to show East Kerry v Mid Kerry in the final next Sunday. They'd want to nip that craic. Kerins O'Rahillys after winning the other championship today and they'll enter Munster? Ok lads

TG4 would of been safer showing the Mayo final - two sides that haven't won it in quite some time - rather than a squad of intermediate / junior clubs fired together under the banner of East Kerry, who cannot enter the Munster competition.

Good luck to Austin Stacks in their laughable journey to All Ireland Intermediate Champions 2023.

Rossfan

Kerry structure their Championships to suit their circumstances and good luck to them.
Meanwhile in the Hyde an exciting end to a close contest as Strokestown bet Boyle with a last minute winner before the biggest SF Final crowd in many years.
Bad injury to Cian McKeon (knee) while Strokestown's Paddy Brogan also injured.
I wouldn't advise anyone to be looking for anything doing in Strokestown tomorra! ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2022, 08:06:43 PM
Kerry structure their Championships to suit their circumstances and good luck to them.
It's a fairly ridiculous set up in fairness.  Stacks won 13 championship games at senior level this year, drew 2 and lost 3. They're somehow intermediate next year. Time Munster council stepped in, let Kerry enter a representative from their "Premier" Junior into the Munster intermediate for next year.