Digital Camera - Compact or SLR

Started by stevo-08, July 08, 2009, 02:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo-08

Want to upgrade my old Olympus 3MP digital camera, and Im debating whether to stay with the Compact Digital range or move up to the Digital SLR cameras.

Budget would be about €300-€400, so Im sure there are a few options out there. I'll be buying the camera for my wife and she's keen to get into photography, including doing some courses, which is why Im leaning towards the entry level Digital SLR range. However for that price, we could get a very high spec compact digital camera.

Have found this Sony SLR which seems good value at £260 including lens.
http://www.johnlewis.com/230473413/Product.aspx

Anyone any experience with the above sony unit or entry level SLRs in general. Would appreciate any advice

thanks
Stevo

armaghniac

Some hold the view that Sony make gadgets while Olympus Canon etc make cameras, so for a more serious camera you may be better getting one from a traditional manufacturer who have been making lenses, SLRs etc for years.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

fer fox ache

If yer missus is in anyway serious about her photography she'll want the SLR

lob her in lad

If you want to be doing decent quality photography then a D-SLR is your only man. I have a Canon 400d, it's an entry level model with a wide angle and telephoto lens. You could pick up the newer 450d which will have everything you need to get started without breaking the bank. Make sure you get two lenses though because it will hold the interest for much longer being able to take different types of photos.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

aontroim

If you are thinking about a D-SLR theres only two manufacturers to consider - Canon or Nikon - 99.9% of pro photographers will shoot with products from these companies - and far far more options available as far as lenses go for both also.  Can be a v. expensive hobby though depending on how seriously you get into it.

thebigfella

I would go for something like a Canon EOS 450d or a Nikon d60. There is plenty of features on both of them to get the wife started.

Personally I would go for either a Nikon or Canon body as there is a better selection of quality lenses available for both manufacturers. Also if you invest in expensive lenses you want to be able upgrade the body without replacing them every time. I had a selection of Canon lenses which I had for years and had to replace when I bought my Nikon D300, costing me a fortune. You really want to avoid that sort of outlay every time you change bodies.

theskull1

Spend good money on good lenses (they will last you 20 years)

The camera bodies you can change/upgrade over time
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mylestheslasher

You'll be doing very well to get a used SLR with 2 lens for £400. Have a look at the Nikons, excellent camera. The D80 has recently been replaced by the suberb D90. You might get some D80 bargains out there somewhere.

Pangurban

If your Wife is serious about Photography, then it is a no brainer, DSLR your only choice. Would highly recommend the Canon 400d, but really they are all fairly good, go for the best deal. Kit Lenses tend to be poor, so ask them to allow you to upgrade lens and subtract price of Kit Lens from upgrade. Go for Sigma lens, brilliant and reasonably cheap

stevo-08

Guys, thanks a million. great advice and the general consenus is to go for the D SLR, and in particular Nikon or Canon.

I did check out the Canon 450D, but it looked a bit pricey. I might do a search for the earlier model 400D - should get it cheaper and it's not all that different to the 450D (I think!!).

thanks again.

Tony Baloney

Pick up any digital camera magazine and you'll find the ratings at the back for all DLSRs from beginner up to photojournalist specials which cost the same as a car!

Maguire01

As has already been said, Nikon or Canon. I've also used Fuji, which I found really good with Nikon lenses. I now use Canon.

Again, already said, but it's all about the glass - invest in good lenses. If it's general photography, a 17-55mm is a good starting place - although you're unlikely to get anything other than a standard kit lens on your current budget.

lob her in lad

Quote from: stevo-08 on July 08, 2009, 06:59:10 PM
Guys, thanks a million. great advice and the general consenus is to go for the D SLR, and in particular Nikon or Canon.

I did check out the Canon 450D, but it looked a bit pricey. I might do a search for the earlier model 400D - should get it cheaper and it's not all that different to the 450D (I think!!).

thanks again.

Only real difference between the two is the fact you can see what your shooting through the lcd and it has a couple of extra mega pixels. Not worth paying the extra for the 450d
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Maguire01

Quote from: lob her in lad on July 08, 2009, 10:07:41 PM
Quote from: stevo-08 on July 08, 2009, 06:59:10 PM

thanks again.

Only real difference between the two is the fact you can see what your shooting through the lcd and it has a couple of extra mega pixels. Not worth paying the extra for the 450d
If you're any way serious into your photography, you won't be using the LCD screen when taking you shots. As for megapixels, unless you're needing to make massive prints, 7 ir 8 megapixels is more than sufficient.