Great Irish Sporting Myths

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 16, 2020, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

So as not to disrupt the Charlton thread.

What's your favourite Irish sporting myth.

A few to get the ball rolling.

- Big Jack used to buy huge rounds and pay by cheque knowing the publican would frame rather than cash. Was a demon for it, but no record of any framed cheque exists.

- Socrates played (and often won) Sigerson for UCD while studying in the Royal College of Surgeons after being passed by Bohs or Shels or both because he smoked. This was quite the feat as he visited Dublin once as coach of the Brazil team when they played Ireland in 2010. This one made the Sunday Tribune obituary to the man, so I think it wins.

-Limerick is the sports capital of Ireland

-Germanys away shirt is green because Ireland were the first team to play them after the war, even though Switzerland did and Germany always wore green away as thats the colour of the pitch.

-Rugby is the national sport

- Jason Sherlock/Anthony Tohill/Kevin Moran/Graham Geraghty were on trial at Liverpool/Arsenal/Man United and Dalgliesh/Wenger/Ferguson/Big Ron/Ray Parlour/Lee Dixon said they were the fittest guy they had ever seen and wrote it in their book, but the edition people have must have cut it as its not there now.

Floor is open.

brokencrossbar1

Dublin GAA is not corruptly overfunded and sure it's good for the game they are winning every year

GetOverTheBar

There is one about Xabi Alonso taking a game for someone too.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 16, 2020, 02:49:01 PM
Dublin GAA is not corruptly overfunded and sure it's good for the game they are winning every year

I Don't think you quite grasped the spirit of the thread, but carry on.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 16, 2020, 02:50:25 PM
There is one about Xabi Alonso taking a game for someone too.

Thats a good one. He did a summer and went to Croker for a game. Suddently he has an U15 AI medal for Kells. Which is doubly impressive since they didn't win that. And he was 16.

Another one reported as fact

johnnycool

Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche were as clean as the driven snow..

If only Roy Keane had stayed in Saipan, Ireland would have gotten to a semi-final.

If only that Mayo team had shown a bit of respect in Foxford back in 1951.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 16, 2020, 03:11:02 PM

Another belter. Is any of that saga true?

Baile Brigín 2

Stolen from Sid. Hill 16, built in 1915, was built with rubble from the rising. It was Hill 60 until the 30s.

sid waddell

Father Bingo Bob McElligott put a curse on the Kerry football team in 1902 because one of the players skipped mass, he said they'd never win an All-Ireland as long as that player lived. The player ended up living to 104 years of age and the curse didn't work.

ONeill

A chinook once took off at Crossmaglen and accidentally blew a point over the bar for Cross. It was also brokencrossbar's only point from play that year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 16, 2020, 03:13:44 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 16, 2020, 03:11:02 PM

Another belter. Is any of that saga true?

I watched a show on the TV about Aidan O'Shea trying his hand at NFL and he met the flying doctor. The veteran Mayo man says he can't remember any of it atall.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GetOverTheBar

O'Gara refusing to shake the Queens hand on the back of that photo is another good one.

HiMucker

That there is a media bias against Tyrone

whitey

2 that come to mind

A certain well known Dublin footballer back in the 80s had been in jail for stabbing someone

Sean Boylan used to send "civilians" on recon missions the week before the All Ireland to dig up dirt on opposing players, that would then be used to sledge them on the big day

A certain Mayo footballer crashed into closed  railway gates on the way home from the Galway Races and left the front number plate behind

sid waddell

Paddy Cullen being Mr. X.

A categorically false rumour that went around every pub in Dublin in 1993/94.

The Pizzagate of its time.