Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Just to wish management and team all the best for the year, and hope they bring some pride back to Down football.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

snoopdog

Poor performance in clonmel. Very wasteful. A struggle from here.

Ambrose

Quote from: snoopdog on January 26, 2020, 03:39:46 PM
Poor performance in clonmel. Very wasteful. A struggle from here.

Played against 14 men for most of the second half, we really should have won this game. Very wasteful, must have had 7 or 8 wides in the second half. Went for the wrong options in the first half, when a couple of easy points, after winning the advanced mark, would have won us the game.
Tipp had a bit of a purple patch before the break scoring 4 unanswered points, but we were far too defensive for most of the game, especially with an extra man.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Ed Hardy

Listened to the match on Tipp Fm, absolute rubbish result, failing to beat Tipp who played nearly entire 2nd half with 14 men. Have to question Tally big time for being so defensive despite have extra man. I didnt feel very confident when I seen the starting 15 and even less so with the 2 changes before hand. Derry next Saturday night is a must win simple as that. Dont like being so negative this early, but I dont think there has been any progression under Tally at all. Hopefully proves me wrong next few games and gets some of the Kilcoo squad into the team, along with Harrison and Donnelly. (if fit to start)

Smurfy123

Tally's defensive gameplan is outdated and teams have now moved away from it but Down are playing it and playing it poorly. Listened to the match on the radio and the man said at the end Tipp played 42 minutes a man down as the also had a man in the sin bin. Disappointed result considering the absentees on the Tipp team and playing with an extra man for so long. Disappointed also on the set up I was expecting big things and nothing as really changed from previous set ups. A real opportunity missed. A must win next week.

PTC

How did Mckernan do? Seen him against Antrim and he got cleaned out

sdg

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 26, 2020, 03:52:36 PM
Tally's defensive gameplan is outdated and teams have now moved away from it but Down are playing it and playing it poorly. Listened to the match on the radio and the man said at the end Tipp played 42 minutes a man down as the also had a man in the sin bin. Disappointed result considering the absentees on the Tipp team and playing with an extra man for so long. Disappointed also on the set up I was expecting big things and nothing as really changed from previous set ups. A real opportunity missed. A must win next week.
Agree Tally is yesterday's man

champion1981

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 26, 2020, 12:53:30 PM
I'm not sure they would if they can only score 7 points against a fellow club team in the open spaces of Croke Park.

The point remains as has been said before it's ridiculous to think a decent club team would beat a county team.
downs championship team wouldn't score 3 points against the best club team of all time let alone 7, 🤦‍♂️🙈

champion1981

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 26, 2020, 03:46:19 PM
Listened to the match on Tipp Fm, absolute rubbish result, failing to beat Tipp who played nearly entire 2nd half with 14 men. Have to question Tally big time for being so defensive despite have extra man. I didnt feel very confident when I seen the starting 15 and even less so with the 2 changes before hand. Derry next Saturday night is a must win simple as that. Dont like being so negative this early, but I dont think there has been any progression under Tally at all. Hopefully proves me wrong next few games and gets some of the Kilcoo squad into the team, along with Harrison and Donnelly. (if fit to start)
according to smurfy no one on kilcoo team would get on down team 🤣🤮🙈

whitegoodman

Quote from: champion1981 on January 26, 2020, 08:16:31 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 26, 2020, 12:53:30 PM
I'm not sure they would if they can only score 7 points against a fellow club team in the open spaces of Croke Park.

The point remains as has been said before it's ridiculous to think a decent club team would beat a county team.
downs championship team wouldn't score 3 points against the best club team of all time let alone 7, 🤦‍♂️🙈

Ok fair enough.

I see I am wasting my time on this one.

Smurfy123

No I said outside the brannigans and the lads that are on the panel no I don't think they would. Aaron Morgan Dylan Ward hardly set the world alight. They are not going to win you any games. Team players and yes maybe Down squad players but to suggest they start is way off the mark. Only 1 Corifin player starts for Galway.
Down kicked 3 points in 32 minutes with and extra man and the aid of a stiff breeze and one was a 45. Shocking stuff

Mourne Rover

It's a hell of  drive to Clonmel, facing a team who have operated at a higher level than us for several seasons, so we would probably have taken a draw in advance, but in the circumstances it was definitely a point dropped. However, the number of unforced errors we made throughout meant that only a brilliant save from Burns prevented us from coming home with nothing.

The pitch was pretty dreadful, and full of bumps with overly long grass, so it favoured a physically stronger Tipperary, who were also much more proficient in the use of the mark to keep them in touch on limited possession. We probably played better against the wind in the first half, although it faded in the second, and we really should have pulled away in the first quarter, but our shooting was consistantly poor.

Given that Kennedy got a ten minute sin bin in this first half, followed by a red five minutes after the break, we obviously were a man up for over 40 minutes and failed to manage the advantage properly. There is nothing wrong with some long balls towards the square, but they were often poorly directed when we should have using our pace in the open spaces. While there were still flashes of decent play, we went sideways much too routinely and we have serious room for improvement overall.

Burns was our best player, with confident handling and decent kick outs as well as two points from 45s and the crucial point blank save. We were OK defensively, with decent league debuts from Fagan and Annett, but midfield was a problem when Dornan went off, presumably injured, as Poland did not look suited to the position.

The forwards played in patches, but McCabe, with his outstanding leap, should be quite a prospect when he comes to term with the mark. It was great to see Donnelly back after a full year out as he can give us options at full back and midfield.

Derry started with a disappointing draw at home to Leitrim, so a win against them in Newry on Saturday night would leave us well placed, but we are very much a work in progress and the division will probably go the wire again.

Smurfy123

Mourne can I ask you what has changed under Tally's tenure? For me it's pretty much the same except a lot more defensive which other teams are going away from. Look at the scores Armagh put up on a regular basis. 5 points from play against 14 men for over half the game is poor stuff and considering Tipperary were missing a host of big players. Yes Down were missing a few too but surely we should be beaten Tipperary with 14. I was expecting big big improvements under him but I'm afraid it has not happened. Considering the money he is getting we need more in return. Saturdays match is massive. Lose the match and promotion is gone

Truth hurts

Its the first game so I will reserve judgement to after Saturday night but we left that one behind us. I felt we should have pushed up more with he extra man but in modern day football and the way teams line out , an extra man is no real benefit compared to 15 years ago. I still think we have hope with this team and Paddy is giving young exciting players a chance,  like the look of Quinn and McCabe though. We are missing a Brian fenton style midfielder who can win primary possession and play football.

On issue of club v county, lads wise up County players are in a  different league, I do wish more Magpies would commit to the set up but we cant force people to wear the famous red and black.  It should be an honour to be asked and I think its an insult that some people can laugh at the prospect of representing this proud football county.

Lets get behind the lads on Saturday night, it will be a battle but one i am confident we can prevail.

Gaelforce123

Yes Down played for 40 minutes of the Game with a Player up. However they played against a 14 man wall....Tipp played ultra defensive and were difficult to break down. Down definitely made mistake with passing etc as did Tipp but a young Down team with few debuts went ok and had opportunities to win it and didnt take them, still decent coming from Tipp with a point and by no means finished. As for what difference has Tally made, look at the age profile of the team, he is bleeding in more youth and past managers have and Down will get the benefits of this in the future