Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Final 17th July

Started by never kickt a ball, July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 04, 2016, 10:58:05 AM
Leinster final is on the same day so its highly unlikely to be in croke park. I couldn't see them coming to any arrangement to play a double header and fill it. As I said earlier its hard to beat the buzz of Clones on Ulster final day. Should be a great occasion. The losers likely to have to face Mayo or Monaghan if they lose which be a nightmare coming of a defeat.

Would it not be an open draw against four teams at that stage? As far as I am aware of if we were to get beat in Ulster final and win the subsequent qualifier we'd play Dublin in QF as we couldn't meet Donegal.

Redhand Santa

It would be one of the b teams in round 4 of the qualifiers for the losers which includes Mayo, Monaghan, Cork. If you won that you then couldn't play the ulster champions again so would have to meet Dublin in the quarter finals followed by probably Kerry in the semis. It's fair to say you don't want to be losing the final or your in big trouble.

armaghniac

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 04, 2016, 10:58:05 AM
Leinster final is on the same day so its highly unlikely to be in croke park. I couldn't see them coming to any arrangement to play a double header and fill it. As I said earlier its hard to beat the buzz of Clones on Ulster final day. Should be a great occasion. The losers likely to have to face Mayo or Monaghan if they lose which be a nightmare coming of a defeat.

Move the Leinster final to Clones so that the Dubs don't get every game at home.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hereiam

Could you imagine the dubs in Clones.... f**k that would be a sight

Il Bomber Destro

From a Tyrone point of view I would go with the same starting side as yesterday it has the right balance to it. Think only one of Richie Donnelly and McShane can play in the same team and McShane has being going well of late.

Hound

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 04, 2016, 11:36:44 AM
It would be one of the b teams in round 4 of the qualifiers for the losers which includes Mayo, Monaghan, Cork. If you won that you then couldn't play the ulster champions again so would have to meet Dublin in the quarter finals followed by probably Kerry in the semis. It's fair to say you don't want to be losing the final or your in big trouble.
Yeah, the reward for winning the Ulster title this year is more than a cup and a medal.

Winners would be very strong favourites to get to the All Ireland final.
Losers would have to beat play Dublin and Kerry to get to the final.

omagh_gael

Thought it would be interesting to look at the changes to both teams over the last four meetings. I have looked at both teams that started at the weekend and then compared these to the starting teams from 2011-2015 (I have replaced Gillespie with N McGee as he will definitely start on 17th and only missed out through suspension):

Donegal: MA McGinley, P McGrath, E McGee, N McGee, R McHugh, K Lacey, F McGlynn, R Kavanagh, O MacNiallais, A Thompson, M McElhinney, E McHugh, P McBrearty, M Murphy, M O'Reilly.

Tyrone: N Morgan, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, T McCann, J McMahon, R McNabb, C Cavanagh, M Donnelly, C McShane, P Harte, N Sludden, C McAliskey, S Cavanagh, R O'Neill

Donegal

P Durcan, K Lacey, N McGee, P McGrath, K Cassidy, A Thompson, Marty Boyle, R Kavanagh, K Rafferty, M McElhinney, M McHugh, R Bradley, C McFadden, M Murphy, P McBrearty

Donegal: P Durcan, P McGrath, N McGee, F McGlynn, E McGee, K Lacey, A Thompson, R Kavanagh, N Gallagher, David Walsh, R Bradley, M McHugh, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden.

Donegal: P Durcan, P McGrath, N McGee, E McGee, A Thompson, Declan Walsh, F McGlynn, N Gallagher, R Kavanagh, David Walsh, L McLoone, R Bradley, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden

Donegal: P Durcan, P McGrath, N McGee, E McGee, R McHugh, K Lacey, F McGlynn, N Gallagher, M McElhinney , M O'Reilly, O MacNiallais, C Toye, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden

Tyrone

P McConnell, M Swift, J McMahon, R McMenamin, D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan, K Hughes, S Cavanagh, B Dooher, B McGuigan, P Harte, O Mulligan, M Donnelly, S O'Neill.

Tyrone: P McConnell, A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin, R McMenamin, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill, J McMahon, C Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Mark Donnelly, P Harte, M Penrose, Stephen O'Neill, O Mulligan

Tyrone: N Morgan, PJ Quinn, C Clarke, C McCarron, Justin McMahon, Joe McMahon, C Gormley, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, P Harte, Mark Donnelly, M Penrose, S O'Neill, C McAliskey

Tyrone: M O'Neill, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, R McNabb, Justin McMahon, P Harte, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, R Brennan, M Donnelly, B Tierney, D McCurry, C McShane, C McAliskey (0-03)

So if you look at the starting line ups at the weekend and compare it to the previous four meetings (when there were 60 starting positions available) then Donegal had 36/60 (60%) players starting versus Tyrone's 24/60 (40%). The biggest difference, if you're looking at miles on the clock, is if you compare the 2011/2012 sides to the weekend's starting teams. This comes in at 17/30 (57%) for Donegal compared to Tyrone's 5/30 (17%).

I also think if Gallagher were to make changes to his team (e.g. fitness improvements) then the chances are that Donegal's percentages would actually climb and ours would drop as our subs bench is mainly fresh blood. Take the subs at the weekend, for example. Donegal brought on Mark McHugh, Christy Toye and E Gallagher compared to Tyrone's McCurry, Brennan, Bradley, Munroe and Hampsey.  This would increase the 2011/12 percentages to 63% v 17%.

Now this analysis is just for the craic and will have no real impact upon the result in two weeks. However, I do think it impacts upon the notion that we may feel psychologically inferior as very few (17%) of the team have been apart of four defeats in a row and our game has changed (improved??) considerably in the past 18 months

Gabriel_Hurl

The 1989 replay

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/0514/701117-video-donegal-v-tyrone-1989/

I remember Scotchy Conway nailing a great last-minute free kick in the drawn game

No wides

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 04, 2016, 01:22:58 PM
Thought it would be interesting to look at the changes to both teams over the last four meetings. I have looked at both teams that started at the weekend and then compared these to the starting teams from 2011-2015 (I have replaced Gillespie with N McGee as he will definitely start on 17th and only missed out through suspension):

Donegal: MA McGinley, P McGrath, E McGee, N McGee, R McHugh, K Lacey, F McGlynn, R Kavanagh, O MacNiallais, A Thompson, M McElhinney, E McHugh, P McBrearty, M Murphy, M O'Reilly.

Tyrone: N Morgan, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, T McCann, J McMahon, R McNabb, C Cavanagh, M Donnelly, C McShane, P Harte, N Sludden, C McAliskey, S Cavanagh, R O'Neill

Donegal

P Durcan, K Lacey, N McGee, P McGrath, K Cassidy, A Thompson, Marty Boyle, R Kavanagh, K Rafferty, M McElhinney, M McHugh, R Bradley, C McFadden, M Murphy, P McBrearty

Donegal: P Durcan, P McGrath, N McGee, F McGlynn, E McGee, K Lacey, A Thompson, R Kavanagh, N Gallagher, David Walsh, R Bradley, M McHugh, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden.

Donegal: P Durcan, P McGrath, N McGee, E McGee, A Thompson, Declan Walsh, F McGlynn, N Gallagher, R Kavanagh, David Walsh, L McLoone, R Bradley, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden

Donegal: P Durcan, P McGrath, N McGee, E McGee, R McHugh, K Lacey, F McGlynn, N Gallagher, M McElhinney , M O'Reilly, O MacNiallais, C Toye, P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden

Tyrone

P McConnell, M Swift, J McMahon, R McMenamin, D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan, K Hughes, S Cavanagh, B Dooher, B McGuigan, P Harte, O Mulligan, M Donnelly, S O'Neill.

Tyrone: P McConnell, A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin, R McMenamin, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill, J McMahon, C Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Mark Donnelly, P Harte, M Penrose, Stephen O'Neill, O Mulligan

Tyrone: N Morgan, PJ Quinn, C Clarke, C McCarron, Justin McMahon, Joe McMahon, C Gormley, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, P Harte, Mark Donnelly, M Penrose, S O'Neill, C McAliskey

Tyrone: M O'Neill, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, R McNabb, Justin McMahon, P Harte, C Cavanagh, S Cavanagh, R Brennan, M Donnelly, B Tierney, D McCurry, C McShane, C McAliskey (0-03)

So if you look at the starting line ups at the weekend and compare it to the previous four meetings (when there were 60 starting positions available) then Donegal had 36/60 (60%) players starting versus Tyrone's 24/60 (40%). The biggest difference, if you're looking at miles on the clock, is if you compare the 2011/2012 sides to the weekend's starting teams. This comes in at 17/30 (57%) for Donegal compared to Tyrone's 5/30 (17%).

I also think if Gallagher were to make changes to his team (e.g. fitness improvements) then the chances are that Donegal's percentages would actually climb and ours would drop as our subs bench is mainly fresh blood. Take the subs at the weekend, for example. Donegal brought on Mark McHugh, Christy Toye and E Gallagher compared to Tyrone's McCurry, Brennan, Bradley, Munroe and Hampsey.  This would increase the 2011/12 percentages to 63% v 17%.

Now this analysis is just for the craic and will have no real impact upon the result in two weeks. However, I do think it impacts upon the notion that we may feel psychologically inferior as very few (17%) of the team have been apart of four defeats in a row and our game has changed (improved??) considerably in the past 18 months

You must be flat out at work!

omagh_gael

That's the best thing about a quiet office on a Monday after championship Sunday, plenty of time to digest the action.

Fuzzman

Back in the noughties one of the things Tyrone had over Armagh and Kerry was their pace.
We've all heard so much talk this year of how Tyrone MIGHT have what it takes to beat Dublin and part of that is how they defend in such numbers and then break at high speed.

In the drawn match v Cavan Norf mentioned we looked lethargic and slow but we showed a lot of pace again yesterday and on TSG last night they showed how Peter Harte times his runs so he waits until the right time before turning on the afterburners.

In the previous 5 years we've struggled to beat Donegal but maybe this extra pace will be what takes us over the line. Monaghan didn't really seem to test them much on Saturday night as they looked like they's ran out of ideas on how to break Donegal down.
You would imagine Donegal will expect this and so I can see them revert back to keeping a lot of bodies behind the ball and not leaving big holes for Tyrone to break into at speed.

As Omagh Gael showed Donegal are likely to play they regular back 6 with a lot of experience yes but also a lot of miles on the clock. So will this game come down to the old question of experience & age versus youth, speed and inexperience?

What ever happened to McLoone? I thought he was gonna be your next best thing?

AhNowRef

Its great to log in to this site at this time of year and not have to open the "Qualifiers" link to see the views on Tyrone .. happy days  8) .. hopefully it lasts !!

Maroon Manc

Before a ball was kicked in the championship I had Tyrone down to win Ulster but have changed my mind to Donegal, they've surprised me a little and

Its one of the most important Ulster finals in year given the winner will avoid Dublin, Kerry & Mayo in a semi final. They might play Mayo in a quarter final but Mayo will likely have played good opposition only 6/7 days earlier.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 04, 2016, 04:21:34 PM
Before a ball was kicked in the championship I had Tyrone down to win Ulster but have changed my mind to Donegal, they've surprised me a little and

Its one of the most important Ulster finals in year given the winner will avoid Dublin, Kerry & Mayo in a semi final. They might play Mayo in a quarter final but Mayo will likely have played good opposition only 6/7 days earlier.

That's a serious reward for the winner all-right.