AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Jinxy, there was nothing legal about Murphy's hit on Fitzpatrick. The referee missed it, but the linesman spotted it and Murphy got a yellow immediately. It was pretty clearly an elbow long after the ball had gone, and it took the steam out of Fitzpatrick at a crucial time. Murphy threw an arm out as Hughes went past him in front of the Hogan Stand a short time later, but Hughes stayed on his feet. If he had gone down, a second yellow which would have changed the game completely was likely. Having said that, no one wants to win a game through a dismissal. Cork were the better side on the day, but there were some narrow margins involved along the way.

rrhf

Just a wee note on Down staying at home the night before the game.  Instead of having a controlled camp environment for the weekend, they stayed at home the night before the game.  I think that was a bit of inexperience from the management to be honest, because a lot was made before about the Down way of doing things - dosent work any more.  Hotel catering has improved from their bad experience in 1959 and times have moved on from 1994 when it last worked for them.   

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: bcarrier on September 22, 2010, 02:25:53 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2010, 01:35:57 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on September 21, 2010, 08:26:40 PM
Watching rerun there ...Murphy definitely did his own "cop that" this year.

His was a legal "cop that" though.

If you mean no free was awarded then you are correct. Gerry McDermott 's interpretation would be interesting. 

To my eyes ( and through Red and Black tinted glasses ) it was well late, lead with an elbow and not shoulder to shoulder . I would love to see the two incidents ie Kennelly last year and Murphy this year side by side.  I suspect the intention and execution are similar enough . I doubt Murphy will mention it in his book though and will therefore remain a hero.

To be completely fair if a Downman had the cuteness ( wrong word Im sure) to nail Walsh in a similar manner I wouldnt have been complaining about it.

Derek Kavanagh was nailed by a down man as he went to pick the ball , broken nose and black eye the result, a  straight red card, but ignored on here. Instead the focus is on Murphys fair shoulder, take your blinkers off lads!

Jinxy

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 22, 2010, 04:30:02 PM
Jinxy, there was nothing legal about Murphy's hit on Fitzpatrick. The referee missed it, but the linesman spotted it and Murphy got a yellow immediately. It was pretty clearly an elbow long after the ball had gone, and it took the steam out of Fitzpatrick at a crucial time. Murphy threw an arm out as Hughes went past him in front of the Hogan Stand a short time later, but Hughes stayed on his feet. If he had gone down, a second yellow which would have changed the game completely was likely. Having said that, no one wants to win a game through a dismissal. Cork were the better side on the day, but there were some narrow margins involved along the way.

It was in its arse an elbow unless I'm thinking of a completely different incident.
It looked to me like one of those borderline shoulders where the injured players OWN elbow was driven into his midsection which caused him to be winded.
There was no raised elbow or anything even close from Murphy and to put it in the same league as Kennelly elbowing someone right on the jaw from their blind-side is completely ridiculous.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

passedit

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on September 23, 2010, 11:37:01 AM
Quote from: bcarrier on September 22, 2010, 02:25:53 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2010, 01:35:57 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on September 21, 2010, 08:26:40 PM
Watching rerun there ...Murphy definitely did his own "cop that" this year.

His was a legal "cop that" though.

If you mean no free was awarded then you are correct. Gerry McDermott 's interpretation would be interesting. 

To my eyes ( and through Red and Black tinted glasses ) it was well late, lead with an elbow and not shoulder to shoulder . I would love to see the two incidents ie Kennelly last year and Murphy this year side by side.  I suspect the intention and execution are similar enough . I doubt Murphy will mention it in his book though and will therefore remain a hero.

To be completely fair if a Downman had the cuteness ( wrong word Im sure) to nail Walsh in a similar manner I wouldnt have been complaining about it.

Derek Kavanagh was nailed by a down man as he went to pick the ball , broken nose and black eye the result, a  straight red card, but ignored on here. Instead the focus is on Murphys fair shoulder, take your blinkers off lads!

Nothing fair about what Murphy did Snoop, though he got away with it so no harm. Even though Coldrick couldn't find the Down man who busted Kavanagh, the dicking around looking for him together with Canty's 'injury' and Benny's booking all in the last ten minutes all meant down ran out of time so poetic justice if you like.

ps the lack of chat about it would be probably because not many people were aware it happened.
Don't Panic

western exile

t
Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2010, 12:31:38 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 22, 2010, 04:30:02 PM

It was in its arse an elbow unless I'm thinking of a completely different incident.
It looked to me like one of those borderline shoulders where the injured players OWN elbow was driven into his midsection which caused him to be winded.
There was no raised elbow or anything even close from Murphy and to put it in the same league as Kennelly elbowing someone right on the jaw from their blind-side is completely ridiculous.
I think you might be. He was at it more than once. I think the incident you describe was against Garvey

Jinxy

I remember Fitzpatrick going to ground around the halfway line on the hogan stand side, after a shoulder charge from Murphy, after which he needed treatment.
If that's the incident you are referring to, there was no elbow from Murphy.

Chris agus Snoop

I watched it again Murphy made contact with the shoulder, so a fair challenge, the Kavanagh incident was not, his eyes were on the ball while he stooped to pick it, he was wide open. But theres obviously some other agenda on here so i'll leave ye to it.

imtommygunn

I forgot to post this before but where did Pearce O'Neill go during that game?? That's two AI finals in a row.

harlechman

Jinxy

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 23, 2010, 10:03:24 PM
I forgot to post this before but where did Pearce O'Neill go during that game?? That's two AI finals in a row.

Turns out if you stop his runs there isn't a whole let else he brings to the table.
They'd be better off sticking him midfield.

Zulu

Haven't read too many of the previous posts but I'm I the only man in the country who thought Ciaran Sheehan was the best player on the field? The only other realistic contender for man of the match was Aiden Walsh IMO and while Walsh was acknowledged by some I don't think anyone mentioned Sheehan. That young man put in as good a performance from minute one to seventy as I've seen.

Another point I seem to be on my own is the performance of Noel O'Leary. I didn't think he did well on Clarke who beat him to every ball and was involved in a number of Down scores.

That said, it was a great day and Cork got their well earned All Ireland after a year when they never reached the heights they are capable of. Counihan should take off the shackles or leave as he isn't getting the best out of these lads IMO.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on September 24, 2010, 07:13:17 PM
Haven't read too many of the previous posts but I'm I the only man in the country who thought Ciaran Sheehan was the best player on the field? The only other realistic contender for man of the match was Aiden Walsh IMO and while Walsh was acknowledged by some I don't think anyone mentioned Sheehan. That young man put in as good a performance from minute one to seventy as I've seen.

Another point I seem to be on my own is the performance of Noel O'Leary. I didn't think he did well on Clarke who beat him to every ball and was involved in a number of Down scores.

That said, it was a great day and Cork got their well earned All Ireland after a year when they never reached the heights they are capable of. Counihan should take off the shackles or leave as he isn't getting the best out of these lads IMO.

I think thats as good as it gets for Cork. Dont think they are capable of lifting the shackles. Only the younger players could potentially be outstanding. Currently no-one is. They have 22-23 very good inter county players. thats 5 more then most counties. Hence their win. Movement in the full forward line is really static.

Still those 600 notes came in handy

I would agree on Clarke. I thought he had an excellent first half and a decent 2nd.

Zulu

I think you're being harsh Indiana. However, I do agree the movement in the forwards isn't great but I blame Counihan for that. They have outstanding players and there are possibly even better ones on the horizon. Aiden Walsh, Sheehan, Shields, Cadogan, Paddy Kelly, and Colm O'Neill will be among the best players in Ireland over the next 5 or 6 years (longer in some cases). The likes of Goulding, Kerrigan, Carey and Alan O'Connor also have plenty of years left in them and could become very good players. That's ten outfield players that would make most other IC teams which is a pretty good base to build on. There are some excellent yound forwards coming through and some promising defenders too so I'd be surprised if Cork aren't one of teh top 2 or 3 in the country dor the foreseeable future. 

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on September 24, 2010, 07:35:13 PM
I think you're being harsh Indiana. However, I do agree the movement in the forwards isn't great but I blame Counihan for that. They have outstanding players and there are possibly even better ones on the horizon. Aiden Walsh, Sheehan, Shields, Cadogan, Paddy Kelly, and Colm O'Neill will be among the best players in Ireland over the next 5 or 6 years (longer in some cases). The likes of Goulding, Kerrigan, Carey and Alan O'Connor also have plenty of years left in them and could become very good players. That's ten outfield players that would make most other IC teams which is a pretty good base to build on. There are some excellent yound forwards coming through and some promising defenders too so I'd be surprised if Cork aren't one of teh top 2 or 3 in the country dor the foreseeable future.

Zulu the movement of the minor forwards was as bad. There seems to be no concept of a crossfield run among the cork forwards. I don't believe counihan simply tells them to run in straight lines. I actually believ its down to poor underage coaching. In my opinion only Sheehan and O neill plus Walsh could be top class.
Paddy kelly for me is their only outstanding player at present. But they have way more very good players then all other counties.