AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteI don't believe counihan simply tells them to run in straight lines.

No, but he hasn't addressed their lack of movement and seems to allow the players further out the field to take too much out of the ball. I also don't think he is picking the right team to maximise the potential that is there but it still doesn't hide the fact that there are plenty of very good players there and there are more to come through which is the really important fact. If the well was dry I'd tend to agree with you as the end is near for some important players but because this talent is there I think Cork will be a force for the rest of the decade.

Of course other counties will also have good players coming through but Cork will have quality 23-29 year olds with All Ireland medals to show these young lads the ropes. I'm not sure any other county will have that blend of young talent and proven quality in the mid to late 20's bracket over the next few years and this gives Cork the edge IMO.

DuffleKing

Donnacha O'Connor is already very good and could be the best player in the country if he developed.

Cork played the last two years before this - particularly last year - with the shackles off and couldn't get over the line.

09 - great football but nothing to show for it.
10 - gritty, lethargic football with patches of good play - All Ireland champions

we all want peak performance and just rewards but it rarely works like that.

Winning sam could be the making of cork for a further 3-5 yr spell of competing very close to winning sam each year

5 Sams

A friend of mine from Dingle texted me today...he said his Great Uncle from Ventry was delighted to see Cork winning their 7th Sam. He said the homecoming celebrations on Monday night in Cork city were fantastic...he said it reminded him of the celebrations in Tralee when Kerry won THEIR 7th Sam Maguire...................in 1926!! ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

Zulu

QuoteDonnacha O'Connor is already very good and could be the best player in the country if he developed.

I think he is 29 or 30 next year and he wouldn't be in the top 10 forwards in the country, never mind the best footballer.

QuoteCork played the last two years before this - particularly last year - with the shackles off and couldn't get over the line.

09 - great football but nothing to show for it.
10 - gritty, lethargic football with patches of good play - All Ireland champions

I wouldn't really agree with that. First off Kerry were knocked out by somebody else this year and Walsh and Sheehan came into the mix. IMO there the real differences between this year and last, not playing a more 'winning system'. If anything the system this year hindered cork rather than helping them.

DuffleKing

didnt realise o'connor was as old. he's a fine footballer when on form and as close as they have to a marquee forward when he is.

cork don't have and haven't had a "system" under counihan. undoubtedly the cards fell well for them this year but you still have to take the opportunity when its there and they did that. the confidence taken from an all ireland win can't be underestimated and that alone will push them on for next year.

Zulu

Not in the way Tyrone have but they certainly play a distinct way and it is different than they way they played last year. IMO Cork were a bit fortunate to win the AI this year and Counihan must shoulder the responsibility for that as he certainly had the best squad. I'm not sure they would have seen off Kerry in the final this year playing they way they did and if I was Counihan I would leave on a high as I think he is a manager who is looking increasingly average.

This is probably a discussion for another day and nobody in Cork will give a damn how they did it. I do, however, agree with you DK that now they have won one they will add to it in the very near future.

brokencrossbar1

The problem with the movement of the Cork forwards is that from under age levels they are taught to play the possession hand pass game and do not know how to do cross field runs etc as they never have had long balls played into them.  That is changing but slowly.  Club teams are starting to see the benefit of playing it long.

Quote from: INDIANA on September 24, 2010, 08:05:31 PM
Paddy kelly for me is their only outstanding player at present. But they have way more very good players then all other counties.

He'e actually a Kerry man by stock so maybe that explains that :P

imtommygunn

Quote from: Zulu on September 24, 2010, 07:13:17 PM
Haven't read too many of the previous posts but I'm I the only man in the country who thought Ciaran Sheehan was the best player on the field? The only other realistic contender for man of the match was Aiden Walsh IMO and while Walsh was acknowledged by some I don't think anyone mentioned Sheehan. That young man put in as good a performance from minute one to seventy as I've seen.

Another point I seem to be on my own is the performance of Noel O'Leary. I didn't think he did well on Clarke who beat him to every ball and was involved in a number of Down scores.

That said, it was a great day and Cork got their well earned All Ireland after a year when they never reached the heights they are capable of. Counihan should take off the shackles or leave as he isn't getting the best out of these lads IMO.

I would concur with a lot of this Zulu. Sheehan was superb IMO and should be young player of year. He's strong as an ox for someone so young.

I don't think Cork ever had their best 15 out all year. Why has Miskella not been playing? Colm O'Neill is probably Cork's best forward too and Murphy isn't starting. Alan O'Connor is a big strong athlete but he's not a great footballer.

Cork play Miskella, Colm O'Neill, Pearce O'Neill in midfield and they're a much better team. They may have won this year but they were much better last year.