AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swagger

i heard it was gerry kinneavy to be fair, hoganstand said a while back he was widely tipped to get the final as mc eneany and and deegan got the semis
riiiiiiiiiite

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Niall Quinn on August 30, 2010, 12:47:38 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 29, 2010, 11:13:31 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 29, 2010, 10:41:43 PM
I hear Jimmy White is geting the final. Oh my God!

Would it not be a break with recent convention
is that a Jimmy white pun?

Your question arrived right on cue and has left me red faced.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

tbrick18

Ever since the Kerry game i have fancied down to go on and win the AI.
Having since watched cork stumble through against a reasonable but inexperienced Dublin side, and Down pip Kildare (though I thought Down much the better side) I've seen nothing to change my mind.
I think Down have a great mix of youth, experience, guile, mobility, skill and organisation and IMO they play with comlete confidence whereas Cork alway seem to bottle it at the last (except fo the Dublin game). Cork of some fantastic players but they just dont seem to have played well this year, even though they are in a final.
As I say, it's only my opinion but I think Down will win by 5-6 points. I quite like Cork, but I'd love to see Down go on and win it now as I think the brand of football they have played this year is refreshing and exciting.

Jinxy

Quote from: swagger on August 30, 2010, 12:35:48 AM
i heard it was gerry kinneavy to be fair, hoganstand said a while back he was widely tipped to get the final as mc eneany and and deegan got the semis

It's between him and Gearóid Ó Cionáimhe.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bcarrier

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2010, 12:11:59 PM
Quote from: swagger on August 30, 2010, 12:35:48 AM

It's between him and Gearóid Ó Cionáimhe.

...the various incarnations of Gerry Kinneavy ((c) Saffron Sam ) .

Jinxy

The artist formerly known as Gerry Kinneavy.  :D

seafoid

I always associate AI with cows getting pregnant.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

eiled in the bushes

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 30, 2010, 12:02:33 AM
Both these sides love the hand pass, think we could be in for a disappointing final. Cork have a better defence than Kildare and a much better midfeld pairing than Lynch and Sweeney, can't see Down winning as much possession and the referee probably won't be as protective of Clarke, Cork have played within themselves and mentally will be stronger after their comeback win against Dublin. With Coulter admitting a square ball, the non-point or two, the penalty, Kildare hitting the woodwork 3 times Down will mentally believe they are in the final through luck and some doubts will exist.

Can't see any fairy tale here, O'Neill and co will run riot on the Down defence with their direct running, Cork to win by 4....
thus speaks a man bitter in defeat ;D
get some metal in your life

lynchbhoy

Quote from: eiled in the bushes on August 30, 2010, 01:25:51 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 30, 2010, 12:02:33 AM
Both these sides love the hand pass, think we could be in for a disappointing final. Cork have a better defence than Kildare and a much better midfeld pairing than Lynch and Sweeney, can't see Down winning as much possession and the referee probably won't be as protective of Clarke, Cork have played within themselves and mentally will be stronger after their comeback win against Dublin. With Coulter admitting a square ball, the non-point or two, the penalty, Kildare hitting the woodwork 3 times Down will mentally believe they are in the final through luck and some doubts will exist.

Can't see any fairy tale here, O'Neill and co will run riot on the Down defence with their direct running, Cork to win by 4....
thus speaks a man bitter in defeat ;D
a bit harsh - Dinny is disappointed in defeat - not bitter.
he's a bitter hoor about life in general though !  ;)

he's not wrong that if Cork run at Down then the mourners could be doing just that !
However to date in the championship, Cork have yet to do so.

will be a great game with the result going to whoever takes their bit of luck or break of a ball on the day !

RadioGAAGAA

Down's to lose IMO.

Cork have been poor all year. I don't think they will be able to cope with the Down forward line.
i usse an speelchekor

Jinxy

If Down had Bernard Brogan I'd put the house on them.

yellowcard

Does anyone know what the story with Ambrose Rogers is? Will he be fit for the final?

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on August 30, 2010, 02:02:41 PM
If Down had Bernard Brogan I'd put the house on them.

The banks aren't doing those sorts of deals these days Jinxy. Have you got cash?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ross matt

Well done to Down. When they're motoring well they are a lovely natural footballing side to watch. Same for their '91 and '94 sides. It was a great match. Much better than last weeks semi.

Heart goes out to Kildare. Would have loved to see them win for the sake of the Early connection and I admire Geezer alot. They were very enjoyable to watch all summer and put up some huge scores rather than being as defensive as some lazy journos predicted they would be under the former Armagh star. What his players took from him was his great heart and focus. I hope Early has another shot at it in 2011 once his injury is sorted. No reason why the management and present squad cant have another push at it again next year.

Pat Mac is an over rated ref. Not saying he is a bad one but he gets an easy time from the media due to his personality and laid back approach. He got things badly wrong yesterday mainly because he didnt keep up with play. He should'nt even have had to consult umpires for Coulter's goal but when he did they should have told him it was a foul. He allowed too many steps for the Kildare goal. He showed have given a penalty at the end when the Down players dived on the ball.

When you consider those incorrect decisions and add in the Kildare point that was waved wide it's obvious they were very unlucky and in my opinion should have won the match. Yes Down played the better football and Kildare had some silly wides plus stray passes. Also they hit the woodwork twice. But it's not a question of which team is easiest on the eye. The timing of the Benny goal was crucial. Apart from getting 3 points out of it they also got momentum of their own and halted the momentum of their opponents who were in control at that point. You simply cant have 9 months preparation and dedication being ruined by incompetent offialdown. It shouldnt be accepted as "part of the game".

None of this is Down's fault. They have every right to profit from whatever decisons went their way and as Geezer said last night it was Coulter's courage that landed him in the square. Bravely running backwards he didnt even know he's gone over the line. I hope Down win the final but I think Cork may squeeze them in to submission. Bigger, stronger and more experienced side who have made the final without coming close to how they can play.