AI Football Final 2010: An Corcaigh vs An Dún

Started by under the bar, August 23, 2010, 02:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Should be a great game with two attack minded teams.   

Along with Tyrone in the minors it means we have Ulster's two most sucessful teams of the past 50 years represented on AI final day.

TacadoirArdMhacha

The bookies go Cork 4/7 Down 15/8 Draw 8/1.

Probably a fair enough reflection though I'd thought Cork's relative failure to impress might have pushed their price out a bit.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

balladmaker

Down speed versus Cork strength....should be a fascinating final.

Farrandeelin

Down (unlike Mayo) don't lose finals. I expect the pressure to get to Cork and Down to win.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

comethekingdom

Down will win it! All the pressure is on the langers - they havent handled it well in the past so here's hoping they wont change. C'mon Down !

ross4life

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 29, 2010, 08:21:13 PM
The bookies go Cork 4/7 Down 15/8 Draw 8/1.

Probably a fair enough reflection though I'd thought Cork's relative failure to impress might have pushed their price out a bit.

Surprised the odds are not longer.. Cork are vastly experienced & having lost two finals in three years expect them to be extra focused this time but will need big game players Canty/Murphy fit to win
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

omagh_gael

According to Benny Coulters interview after the game (on RTE website) down will be playing in their away kit. How is this decided so early?

jas376

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 29, 2010, 10:04:53 PM
According to Benny Coulters interview after the game (on RTE website) down will be playing in their away kit. How is this decided so early?

I think that the last time these sides met (1994) both sides played in their 'away' colours. It might be the same this time.Maybe!

Onlooker

I would expect that both teams will have to change their colours for the final.  I was at the 1994 semi final and from memory, both teams changed that day.  The bookmakers had Cork at 2/5 during the week, but I can not see them being that short a price after today.  Down to win their 6th title/

magpie seanie

I hear Jimmy White is geting the final. Oh my God!

ross4life

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 29, 2010, 10:41:43 PM

He did the connacht final which turned out to be one of the games of the year not many good refs anyways
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

lawnseed

y >:( >:(ep! thats what i'd be afraid of that some arse of a ref is gonna make a total balls of the all ireland final, they'll probably give it to sludgsie
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

TacadoirArdMhacha

Would it not be a break with recent convention to appoint a referee from a province represented by one of the finalists?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Dinny Breen

Both these sides love the hand pass, think we could be in for a disappointing final. Cork have a better defence than Kildare and a much better midfeld pairing than Lynch and Sweeney, can't see Down winning as much possession and the referee probably won't be as protective of Clarke, Cork have played within themselves and mentally will be stronger after their comeback win against Dublin. With Coulter admitting a square ball, the non-point or two, the penalty, Kildare hitting the woodwork 3 times Down will mentally believe they are in the final through luck and some doubts will exist.

Can't see any fairy tale here, O'Neill and co will run riot on the Down defence with their direct running, Cork to win by 4....
#newbridgeornowhere

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 29, 2010, 11:13:31 PM

Would it not be a break with recent convention to appoint a referee from a province represented by one of the finalists?

ffs..this is getting ridiculuous....third game in a row where an Ulster ref is reffing a Down game...whats going on ?