Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on May 04, 2010, 07:13:00 PM
Mayo have a huge panel to pick from! finding right balance & best 15 will be no easy task for JOM  & IMO it's his last chance to impress
Hes 3 yrs into it now, and just had a full league campaign, im extremely suprised at how he doesnt know his best 15 or have the balance right by now. Although I did leave Croke park myself thinking mayo back to the drawing board over and over again.

The way the mayo posters would have you thinking, he'll be playing fellas against us in certain positions hoping it will come off, rather than having it all sorted by now and knowing it will come off which further fuels that initial thought.

It looks like it be an interesting comparison with the league final team and CSFC team for them. But its no way to going into a summer imo.

I think it will be the most unpredictable match ever as I dont think anyone has a clue what to expect from mayo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

I know you don't like looking to the past but what is Sligos record v Mayo at home?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mannix

The league final disaster was the worst thing to happen from a Mayo view because we won nothing, again, but also a disaster for Sligo because Mayo are written off already in media circles. Division 3 is hardly division 1 and thats where the difference will become apparent to Sligo fans on the day. You really need to be playing that level consistently to be able for it and challenge games are not near that.
Anything other than a Mayo win is hard to see.
Welcome home Sligonian.

ross4life

I wouldn't read to much into Divisions! as i said before it didn't stop Sligo winning the title in 2007

Tyrone & Kerry were poor in the league this year would you rule them out? & the last time Mayo lost a league final (Donegal 2007) Sligo won the Connacht title (bit of a omen? )
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Quotehave SOS out a center forward (after complaining about his selfishness, lack of speed and being overweight) and have dropped one of their most consistent league performers in Enda Varley. They're gas men in fairness.

Who said that about SOS Zulu?? It's certainly not the consensus in the county as far as I'm aware. I think people said he was our best performer throughout the league - is emerging as a real leader, extremely hardworking etc.
As for Varley, he was excellent in the league up until he got injured. Then C Mort got his place and has grabbed it. He was one of our best performers in the league final, so it would be very hard to drop him. I don't see both Varley and Mort starting, so someone has to lose out.

I'm beginning to think the likes of yourself and Logan have preconceptions about Mayo supporters that you just stick to and keep trotting out - we all demand an All-Ireland regardless of the standard of players available, we're unrealistic and far too critical of the manager, and in general are far too excitable and know damn all about our players or manager - "gas men" indeed...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Why not start Varley AND Mortimer in the ff line? I still think it will be a very hard game for Mayo and if it's anything like the previous 2 games Mayo needed to win championship style (i.e. Cork and Meath) Sligo will win comfortably.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zulu

Quote from: Tubberman on May 04, 2010, 08:44:51 PM
Quotehave SOS out a center forward (after complaining about his selfishness, lack of speed and being overweight) and have dropped one of their most consistent league performers in Enda Varley. They're gas men in fairness.

Who said that about SOS Zulu?? It's certainly not the consensus in the county as far as I'm aware. I think people said he was our best performer throughout the league - is emerging as a real leader, extremely hardworking etc.
As for Varley, he was excellent in the league up until he got injured. Then C Mort got his place and has grabbed it. He was one of our best performers in the league final, so it would be very hard to drop him. I don't see both Varley and Mort starting, so someone has to lose out.

I'm beginning to think the likes of yourself and Logan have preconceptions about Mayo supporters that you just stick to and keep trotting out - we all demand an All-Ireland regardless of the standard of players available, we're unrealistic and far too critical of the manager, and in general are far too excitable and know damn all about our players or manager - "gas men" indeed...

Sorry I meant AOS, not his brother. I don't think I, or Logan for that matter, have preconceptions and I certainly don't mean to insult any of the Mayo lads posting, I just happen to disagree with many you when you are analysis JOM and Mayo's current panel. I've acknowledged that most of you accept an AI is an unrealistic ambition at the moment but I do disagree with your evaluation of some of your players. I've a strong interest in Mayo football and find the majority of the Mayo posters to be reasoned and sensible but if I'm repeating myself it is only because others keep making the same points also and I've yet to be convinced they are right.

I can understand that it may be frustrating and annoying at times to read some of the posts from non-Mayo men but anything I've read from non-Mayo posters has be reasonable in tone IMO. And like Farrandeelin I'd have no issues playing both Mort and Varley, nobody bats an eyelid if you have 3 right footed kickers in a FF line so I see no reason why 2 predominantly left legged kickers can't play in the 2 corners.

SLIGONIAN

Mayo might be written off in media circles for All Ireland, but they wont be against Sligo or for Connacht. Farran seems to want Sligo to be favourites but we wont.

Ross4life leave the past where it belongs.

I cant see the Leagues having much of bearing to be honest, both teams will be sharper and more intense. Mayo are heading to portugal and Im sure Sligo have a intense training programme in the lead up. We played alot worse in last yrs league, in fact i flew home for the div4 final and left disillusioned, i thought it was muck, and look at 11 weeks later Sligo played alot better against galway. Whatever they did last yr in between worked, and we improved against tipp and again against kerry. The level of performance in the league was a upward curve aswell, so Id be suprised if we didnt better the antrim performance.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 04, 2010, 09:59:55 PM

Ross4life leave the past where it belongs.

Nonsense Sligonian the past is where great Traditions & great footballing pedigree begins! what if Sligo lose to mayo will that be pushed to the "past" straight away also?

Tubberman

Quote from: Zulu on May 04, 2010, 09:43:18 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 04, 2010, 08:44:51 PM

Sorry I meant AOS, not his brother. I don't think I, or Logan for that matter, have preconceptions and I certainly don't mean to insult any of the Mayo lads posting, I just happen to disagree with many you when you are analysis JOM and Mayo's current panel. I've acknowledged that most of you accept an AI is an unrealistic ambition at the moment but I do disagree with your evaluation of some of your players. I've a strong interest in Mayo football and find the majority of the Mayo posters to be reasoned and sensible but if I'm repeating myself it is only because others keep making the same points also and I've yet to be convinced they are right.

I can understand that it may be frustrating and annoying at times to read some of the posts from non-Mayo men but anything I've read from non-Mayo posters has be reasonable in tone IMO. And like Farrandeelin I'd have no issues playing both Mort and Varley, nobody bats an eyelid if you have 3 right footed kickers in a FF line so I see no reason why 2 predominantly left legged kickers can't play in the 2 corners.

Fair enough, I think we're nearly over-analysed at this stage to be honest! It just seems to be a never-ending cycle of the same type of discussion - probably because we keep having the same type of results each year  :D
On AOS, he started the league very poorly, but in fairness to him he improved a lot towards the end of the league and seems to have shed some of the weight so there's no way I'd drop him.
Mort and Varley could both play in the FF line, I just meant that I don't think JOM will start them both.
Personally, I would like to see something like the following:

Clarke
Barrett Cafferkey Higgins
Vaughan/Howley Cunniffe/Vaughan McLoughlin
SOS McGarritty
Kilkoyne Parsons Dillon
C Mort AOS Varley

Clarke is a certainty.

Barrett really impressed over the last couple of games. His small stature is a bit of a worry, but he has earned his place and is more assured than Liam O'Malley. Cafferkey is the only real option we have at FB, with Conroy to come in for bigger, less mobile FFs.

If Cunniffe had started a few games during the league we'd be in a much better position - we'd at least know if he's a better option than Howley (he should be, but who knows after so long out injured). If Cunniffe's form hasn't returned, Vaughan is worth a shot there - he is strong, mobile and seems to be strong-minded and confident.
McLoughlin was excellent in the first game against Galway, and in the final against Cork, but didn't really impress in between. If he's in the form of the Galway & Cork games, I'd start him; if he's in the form of the other games, I'd start Gardiner or T Mort.

Midfield should be SOS and McGarritty - don't see any debate there.

It sounds like Kilkoyne is in good form after coming back from injury - if so, I'd start him in the half-forwards. He can be very effective with his direct running at speed. Parsons doesn't have the physical aspect or doggedness in his game for midfield at the moment. But I think he could do a good job at CHF if he show's a bit more awareness. That would also release Dillon to 12 where he always seems to perform better - and scores more from there as well.
FF line will only work against certain teams I think - and is very much dependent on a proper plan for all 3 to work to. Mort and Varley would have to make themselves available for knockdowns from high ball aimed into AOS. Obviously he'd have to be told to release the ball a lot quicker.
We're good enough to win Connacht (not the same as saying we'll win it Sligonian et al  ;)), and with a decent draw in a q-final we should be good enough to at least compete for the 70 mins. Anything after that would be bonus territory. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 04, 2010, 09:17:10 PM
Why not start Varley AND Mortimer in the ff line? I still think it will be a very hard game for Mayo and if it's anything like the previous 2 games Mayo needed to win championship style (i.e. Cork and Meath) Sligo will win comfortably.

Why not indeed. The only thing is the Sligo corner men would probably love these smaller men to mark. Could suit Harrison and Donovan down to the ground that with McGuire muscling it out with O Sé. If available I d go with the twin towers, at least until the game gets stretched. Its time we started planning for a 70+ min game and not end up with no end game like we did in Connacht final and Meath last year. The impact from bench is as crucial as who bloody starts. There has always been too much simple talk in Mayo about 'starting 15 and who is dropped'. I d hold either Varley or Mort for later.
  The introduction of subs in practically injury time V Cork would not fill anybody with confidence that these guys can manage a game or a bench. If they can t use subs when a team is calving and well behind how would they fare if a team was in front but beginning to idle. As a young fella said to me at the weekend, the worst thing about Mayo s capitulation in the league final was that you know that they will do the same again in the championship.
This has happened often enough in the past but there has been no improvement.
How we match up our defenders v Sligo will be interesting too. Higgins v Kelly is a no brainer. McGee needs a bit of thought though. Sticky more than pacey. I d like to see an attacking wing on Costello and get him tracking back as much as possible - though he looks in the shape of his life.

Lar Naparka

I see most of the lads are heading off to Portugal on Sunday.  I hope they all enjoy their trip, have a bit of fun as well as training and get the Croke Park blues out of their systems.
I feel genuinely sorry for the whole blessed lot and that includes the boss man. I've no doubt that each and every one of them is as shell-shocked as I am at what happened in the league final. But the fact remains that they got to the final on merit, having started the season off as likely relegation prospects.
There are many positives to take out of the league campaign and I'm happy to accept that Johnno is at last working to a plan of some sort. I'm not quite sure what he is actually up to but whatever it is, it's better than nothing, which seems to have been the case until the league began.
There will undoubtedly be changes for the opening game in Sligo but there are too many variables involved for me to start second guessing O'Mahony. I just hope those changes are kept to a minimum.
Whatever went wrong in Croke Park won't  be put right by wholesale chopping and changing.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mannix

Lar na parka
I always enjoy your posts, but, please tell me why you think jom is finally working to a plan,
It sure did not seem like it when howley was getting killed in Croke and left there and the 2 subs running on with a minute or two left did not say much about plans.

Farrandeelin

Lar, I'd nearly guess that BJP will start in some unsuitable position. :-\
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Barney

QuoteI feel genuinely sorry for the whole blessed lot and that includes the boss man. I've no doubt that each and every one of them is as shell-shocked as I am at what happened in the league final.

With the greatest respect Lar that is a load of rubbish.

They turned up in Croke Park and showed the white feather. There was no fight, no guts, no heart, no gameplan. They blew it big time again and forever are being slapped on the back with the mantra that they are amateurs and that they tried their best. They didn't and it is not washing with Mayo supporters any more. Maybe a bit more of a Kerry mentality where fellas are nearly ostracised for losing a match rather than a near coronation as legends of the game once we win a match.