Sligeach v Maigh Eo. 5ú Meitheamh 2010

Started by Farrandeelin, April 29, 2010, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

For you ross4life. ;) And others who want to put last Sunday's display behind us/ye.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Haha that's better wouldn't wanna upset the Cork Boys  ;)

latest Odds Sligo to win 11/4 Draw 15/2 Mayo 4/11

this game is down for a 5pm throw in is this correct?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

macedoniaexile

Feel bookies have it about right,weight of expectation very much on Sligo after league and i dont think they are going to do it. In fact i am sure they wont do it>

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: macedoniaexile on April 29, 2010, 10:14:07 PM
Feel bookies have it about right,weight of expectation very much on Sligo after league and i dont think they are going to do it. In fact i am sure they wont do it>

:D :D :D :D Let the battle commence, we were 5/1 to beat roscommon in 07 and 6/1 to beat galway lol

Its unbeliveable nearly how much better shape we are in than the last 3 yrs ago, the team selections, players stepped up, we are so much more improved im just delighted with the management and players. Barring injuries I could name the starting 15 now and so could many and its a great position to be in. If we could beat mayo it would be a huge stepping stone.

I honestly believe whoever wins this, will win Connacht.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

Like your confidence Sligonian but for me who ever wins this will be beaten by Galway & they will walk the final & for what it's worth last time i was wrong picking a Connacht winner was 2005 when i thought Mayo would win it (& yes i was one of few that picked ye to beat Galway won myself some money too  :) but i didn't get 6/1 odds  >:()

Interest Stat i found also... Every time Galway/Mayo have played New York they have brought home the Connacht title
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on April 30, 2010, 12:00:48 AM
Like your confidence Sligonian but for me who ever wins this will be beaten by Galway & they will walk the final & for what it's worth last time i was wrong picking a Connacht winner was 2005 when i thought Mayo would win it (& yes i was one of few that picked ye to be Galway won myself some money too  :) but i didn't get 6/1 odds  >:()

Interest Stat i found also... Every time Galway/Mayo have played New York they have brought home the Connacht title

Awful poor odds on Mayo. Considering that we were pelted off stage only 4 days ago. If we re such s**** surely we deserve decent odds. Sligo were team of the weekend yet .... If I was a Sligo man I d take your hand off for that price - right? You could be right about Galway. It may go 2 ways imo. I was spooked by them in the league game v Mayo. Off the pace for a reason. If they buy into JK methods then the rest will be in trouble. If we happen to beat Sligo and get turned over in Castlebar by Galway with JK as manager the MCB wont find a hole big enough to hide in after the clubby set up they fostered on us last 4 championship. The only thing is though that Galway have not bought into the last 3 managers. Strangely, even though it s JK's first year in charge, you d have a better shot at the Galway team than Mayo s at this stage. I have to admit that even though we had a good league overall we look very bitty for the championship. And this is happening every year.

ballinaman

Sligo is a hard place to go and win. 100% home league record for sligo, correct me if i'm wrong Sligonian. Lads like Lar and Moysider have the current situation in Mayo summed up pretty well. Team selection is still a bit up in the air after the league final. I see where moysider was coming from when talking about O'Malley and how Goulding had a perfect supply into him but i still hold reservations about O'Malley. Good footballer but not tight enough when it comes to the white heat of championship IMO. Cast our minds back to Connacht final last year in Pearse, Nicky Joyce gave him a roasting even though Mayo dominated midfield and possession in the 1st half. Have a fair few other problems than just corner back to be fair as well though. Alot of things can change within the month but i'd like to see a team something like
                                       Clarke
             Barrett                 Caff               Higgins         

Vaughan              SOS               McLoughlin

McGaritty       Harte(Better work rate than Parsons)                                                                                                 

Andy Moran           Dillon            Kilcoyne

C Mortimer        A O'Shea          Varley

Ronaldson, he'd be the first sub on up front, Peadar like wise in defence. Pity Tom Cunniffe didn't get back for a few games in the league, he could do a job a centre half back and that would free SOS to move to middle to replace Harte.

busbybhoy

Great to see Kilcoyne back. Hopefully he can continue where he left off last year. Other than the league final has he played since the Meath game last year? How has he been playing for K'More?

As for the odds on Mayo....sssshhhhh....they will accusing us of match fixing next  ;D

Farrandeelin

Played one game for Knockmore against Crossmolina. Scored 0-6. That's all he's payed yet though. He should be in good shape for the game in Markievicz.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ballinaman on April 30, 2010, 03:01:13 AM
Sligo is a hard place to go and win. 100% home league record for sligo, correct me if i'm wrong Sligonian. Lads like Lar and Moysider have the current situation in Mayo summed up pretty well. Team selection is still a bit up in the air after the league final. I see where moysider was coming from when talking about O'Malley and how Goulding had a perfect supply into him but i still hold reservations about O'Malley. Good footballer but not tight enough when it comes to the white heat of championship IMO. Cast our minds back to Connacht final last year in Pearse, Nicky Joyce gave him a roasting even though Mayo dominated midfield and possession in the 1st half. Have a fair few other problems than just corner back to be fair as well though. Alot of things can change within the month but i'd like to see a team something like
                                       Clarke
             Barrett                 Caff               Higgins         

Vaughan              SOS               McLoughlin

McGaritty       Harte(Better work rate than Parsons)                                                                                                 

Andy Moran           Dillon            Kilcoyne

C Mortimer        A O'Shea          Varley

Ronaldson, he'd be the first sub on up front, Peadar like wise in defence. Pity Tom Cunniffe didn't get back for a few games in the league, he could do a job a centre half back and that would free SOS to move to middle to replace Harte.

Your are indeed correct. I read Martin McHugh the other day and he said Sligo were best team last weekend, but that is bullshit, as we were playing antrim, not Cork or Armagh etc..., for me Cork were the best team and Armagh next.

The other thing he said was Markievicz wont suit us, well as Ballinaman points out we won all home games, and I can tell you the Cavan performance wasnt a million miles behind last saturdays.

Mayo deserve to be favourites imo, but I find this game ridiculously hard to call. Alot of our lads will be new to championship and wont have experienced the pace before. I think its only natural that a fair few Sligofans will go in believing we will win but of course we could be wrong. I cant see this other than being a tight game. I was doing the match ups with my Dad the other day and really it comes down to midfield and if we can get enough possession into our forwards. Mayo looked a slightly more phyiscal team than us and our lads have this week off so ye'll have an 1 extra week training on us ;).

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 30, 2010, 11:48:09 AM
Your are indeed correct. I read Martin McHugh the other day and he said Sligo were best team last weekend, but that is bullshit, as we were playing antrim, not Cork or Armagh etc..., for me Cork were the best team and Armagh next.

The other thing he said was Markievicz wont suit us, well as Ballinaman points out we won all home games, and I can tell you the Cavan performance wasnt a million miles behind last saturdays.

Mayo deserve to be favourites imo, but I find this game ridiculously hard to call. Alot of our lads will be new to championship and wont have experienced the pace before. I think its only natural that a fair few Sligofans will go in believing we will win but of course we could be wrong. I cant see this other than being a tight game. I was doing the match ups with my Dad the other day and really it comes down to midfield and if we can get enough possession into our forwards. Mayo looked a slightly more phyiscal team than us and our lads have this week off so ye'll have an 1 extra week training on us ;).
What a difference a day makes!
That's solid, sensible post, Sligonian, and if Walsh gets his team thinking along the same lines, Mayo could indeed have a fight on their hands.
Yesterday, you wrote," Its unbeliveable nearly how much better shape we are in than the last 3 yrs ago, the team selections, players stepped up, we are so much more improved im just delighted with the management and players."

"Lovely, bleedin' lovely," sez Lar to himself. "Now; if only all of Sligo should think the same way, they'll be still out looking for survivors a week after we meet them."
I see you have toned down your expectations dramatically today and I think you are right to do so. I'm delighted with your win last Sunday and if you happen to beat Mayo, I'll be behind you all the way— unless of course we happen to meet again!
But keep things in perspective; you are now Div 3 champions. Mayo scored more and conceded less than any other Div 1 side in the league.
We haven't gone away you know, as Gerry Adams might put it.
There's more to John O'Mahony than a pretty face and, for the faults I find with him, he's still a very experienced operator. I don't think one great win can transform Sligo into superheroes just as one bad loss can't write off Mayo for the championships.
Sligo are going to be under tremendous pressure on June 6th to maintain their present fine form in front of the home crowd and will need to be as fired up as they were last Sunday. It ain't gonna to be easy to keep the pot boiling between now and then.
By contrast, Mayo won't be travelling to Markievicz Park to prove they are just as inept as they seemed last Sunday. To be beaten by Cork in the league is on thing; to follow it up with a loss to Sligo in the very first championship game of the season will be unthinkable.
Yee have a scrap on yeer hands!
If all stays well with me, I hope we can meet up at the game, as planned, and somehow I think I'll be offering you my commiserations. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 30, 2010, 01:36:00 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 30, 2010, 11:48:09 AM

What a difference a day makes!
That's solid, sensible post, Sligonian, and if Walsh gets his team thinking along the same lines, Mayo could indeed have a fight on their hands.
Yesterday, you wrote," Its unbeliveable nearly how much better shape we are in than the last 3 yrs ago, the team selections, players stepped up, we are so much more improved im just delighted with the management and players."

"Lovely, bleedin' lovely," sez Lar to himself. "Now; if only all of Sligo should think the same way, they'll be still out looking for survivors a week after we meet them."
I see you have toned down your expectations dramatically today and I think you are right to do so. I'm delighted with your win last Sunday and if you happen to beat Mayo, I'll be behind you all the way— unless of course we happen to meet again!
But keep things in perspective; you are now Div 3 champions. Mayo scored more and conceded less than any other Div 1 side in the league.
We haven't gone away you know, as Gerry Adams might put it.
There's more to John O'Mahony than a pretty face and, for the faults I find with him, he's still a very experienced operator. I don't think one great win can transform Sligo into superheroes just as one bad loss can't write off Mayo for the championships.
Sligo are going to be under tremendous pressure on June 6th to maintain their present fine form in front of the home crowd and will need to be as fired up as they were last Sunday. It ain't gonna to be easy to keep the pot boiling between now and then.
By contrast, Mayo won't be travelling to Markievicz Park to prove they are just as inept as they seemed last Sunday. To be beaten by Cork in the league is on thing; to follow it up with a loss to Sligo in the very first championship game of the season will be unthinkable.
Yee have a scrap on yeer hands!
If all stays well with me, I hope we can meet up at the game, as planned, and somehow I think I'll be offering you my commiserations. ;D

I still stand by that, we are alot better than 07. I also read one of the mayo posters say about Sligos hang up in Connacht, well a fair few of these lads have Connacht medals, 2008 was a write off, preparation mentally was absymal that yr, also 2009 was more down to a 11 week break than anything else, contributing to a sluggish start against Galway and poor team selections with ewing on armstrong a mismatch.

If mayo think we are going to be carried away and over confident, eh no, the players know it will be unreal tough to beat mayo. I just feel the hunger is there to put in a serious challenge and intensity and I will back our lads to do themselves justice on the day.

How much do mayo know about Sligo, in terms of Cawley, M Quinn, Gilmartin, Costello, McGee, Marren or are ye not to bothered ;)?

saffronandblue

What is it with Andy Moran and the current Mayo management :-[ :-[.  I cannot believe that he is still on the team.  He is flying under the radar IMO.   Having watched him over the last couple of years for both club and county I fail to see why he is the sunshine boy.  True, he will get the odd soft point when the game is all but over, be it winning or losing, but in the heat of battle he brings nothing to the table.  His scoring record is woeful and why some might believe that he is a worker then those should compare him to Paul Galvin.......who is different class in all aspects of his game.

As for our management team in Mayo, its a bit like  3 Pinkies and the Brain.........

mannix

SAFFRON,
I was at a few league games this year and he ran his markers into the ground and had several lads tried on him in a few games. While he did not score a lot he done the spadework for others to score and is a definite starter in my books. You may be jealous or something, but he is a good county player.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 30, 2010, 02:55:42 PM

I still stand by that, we are alot better than 07. I also read one of the mayo posters say about Sligos hang up in Connacht, well a fair few of these lads have Connacht medals, 2008 was a write off, preparation mentally was absymal that yr, also 2009 was more down to a 11 week break than anything else, contributing to a sluggish start against Galway and poor team selections with ewing on armstrong a mismatch.

If mayo think we are going to be carried away and over confident, eh no, the players know it will be unreal tough to beat mayo. I just feel the hunger is there to put in a serious challenge and intensity and I will back our lads to do themselves justice on the day.

How much do mayo know about Sligo, in terms of Cawley, M Quinn, Gilmartin, Costello, McGee, Marren or are ye not to bothered ;)?
When you sup with the devil, you need a long spoon.
I just hope Sligo realise, for their own sakes of course, that Mayo ain't Antrim and this won't be a training session for our young buckeens to get the feel of Croke Park. Yee need to keep yeer distance and be wary of getting too confident and cocky.
Yup; Sligo has had Connacht c**k ups; assloads of 'em. Yee went close to blowing it in '07, don't forget.
Them Galway devils are even worse than our type; yee took the foot off the pedal that day and almost got caught. I was praying yee would hold on and O'Hara would get a Connacht medal. I'd say all of Mayo were roaring him on. Sligo were very lucky not to blow it.
Sligo have had a few good runs in the qualifiers in the last 10 years but never seem to do themselves justice in the Connacht championship.
Beware of the heavy hand of history, as my old history teacher used to say, or you could get a big boot up the ass.
How much do mayo know about Sligo, in terms of Cawley, M Quinn, Gilmartin, Costello, McGee, Marren or are ye not to bothered  ?
Not a whole lot to be honest! ;D
We will bother about our own braves, as we always do, and try and get them on the warpath  and leave youse to worry about us.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi