Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

shawshank

Feel free to tell me off, but its fairly depressing looking at the players we have lost ie Glass, Brown and Tohill. Each are physically brutes. Maybe they won't cut the mustard and return bigger and better, but I wouldn't hold my breath, we can't take those loses.

oakleaflad

Quote from: shawshank on October 26, 2018, 09:32:08 AM
Feel free to tell me off, but its fairly depressing looking at the players we have lost ie Glass, Brown and Tohill. Each are physically brutes. Maybe they won't cut the mustard and return bigger and better, but I wouldn't hold my breath, we can't take those loses.
My concern is if they do return in a couple years, people will expect them to slot straight into a county team. Two of the three we've lost to Oz were far from the finished article as footballers despite their physicality/athleticism.

JoG2

Quote from: shawshank on October 26, 2018, 09:32:08 AM

23 odd % of the 52 players who've been on a club's senior roster down the years have played 10 games or more. Hopefully for the lads themselves, they go on successful careers. The county will always be here if they do return

JoG2

"Former Derry star Conleith Gilligan has brought the curtain down on his football career.

Gilligan, who will turn 39 in December, made his Ulster SFC debut for the Oak Leafers against Cavan in 2000 and went on to play for 13 seasons, during which he won two Allianz League medals. The busy forward, who actually began his career as a goalkeeper, has been a maintstay of the Ballinderry senior team for the last 20 years and was a central figure in their numerous Derry and Ulster club SFC successes."

A superb footballer with a great temperament.

Franko

Quote from: restorepride on October 24, 2018, 05:42:08 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 24, 2018, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: restorepride on October 24, 2018, 01:33:12 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 23, 2018, 03:35:24 PM
Why would anyone need to know the Derry Senior Panel for 2019 in October of the year before??
Because the first match is about 9 weeks away?!

And???

Are you picking the team?

Catch a grip.
Thought the man wanted an answer so he got one. Now, there is also this concept called preparation - especially if a good number of new panelists are involved.  On 2018 form, how many weeks preparation do you think the 2019 team will need?  And no, I am not picking the team!

Didn't realise that announcing the panel to the GAA board faithful in October was an essential part of a county team's preparation these days.   ::)

Now, there is also this concept of fcukwittery...

restorepride

Quote from: Franko on October 26, 2018, 03:05:45 PM
Why would anyone need to know the Derry Senior Panel for 2019 in October of the year before??

And???

Catch a grip.
Thought the man wanted an answer so he got one. Now, there is also this concept called preparation - especially if a good number of new panelists are involved.  On 2018 form, how many weeks preparation do you think the 2019 team will need?  And no, I am not picking the team!

Didn't realise that announcing the panel to the GAA board faithful in October was an essential part of a county team's preparation these days.   ::)

How many weeks?

Franko

Quote from: restorepride on October 26, 2018, 07:00:45 PM

And???

Catch a grip.

How many weeks?

Since you started primary school?  About 8 or so.

restorepride

Quote from: Franko on October 27, 2018, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: restorepride on October 26, 2018, 07:00:45 PM

And???

Catch a grip.

How many weeks?

Since you started primary school?  About 8 or so.
It was a football question, as you are aware - since you started it! I think the board would find it interesting. How many weeks preparation,  Franko, do you think the Derry 2019 panel requires before their first match. Clearly 9 is too much for you.  A straightforward enough question. Thread is there for all to read.

theticklemister

Derry Optimist

After reading the interview with County Manager Damian McErlain by Michael McMullan in "Derry Now" two interesting facts stand out.Out of the 10 or 12 players who, for one reason or another, are unlikely to be in the 2019 Derry Senior football panel 6 of them are defenders ie Sean Leo and Liam McGoldrick,Kevin Johnston,Michael Bateson,Carlus McWilliams and Ruairi Mooney.

From a team that overall was lacking in experience this year that is a huge percentage drop out.On the plus side it is just as well that Derry are in Division Four  as it will  give the younger defensive replacements time and space to acclimatise much better to inter county football.

It is also surely the first time that the current County champions have no representative on the panel.One would in normal circumstances have expected two of the McGoldricks and Niall Holly to be on it.But apparently that is not the case. Sean Leo has retired.Liam intends to travel.Colm McGoldrick  and Niall Holy were either not selected or did not want to be considered for selection I presume.

Waataboutyee

Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 28, 2018, 09:47:29 PM
After reading the interview with County Manager Damian McErlain by Michael McMullan in "Derry Now" two interesting facts stand out.Out of the 10 or 12 players who, for one reason or another, are unlikely to be in the 2019 Derry Senior football panel 6 of them are defenders ie Sean Leo and Liam McGoldrick,Kevin Johnston,Michael Bateson,Carlus McWilliams and Ruairi Mooney.

From a team that overall was lacking in experience this year that is a huge percentage drop out.On the plus side it is just as well that Derry are in Division Four  as it will  give the younger defensive replacements time and space to acclimatise much better to inter county football.

It is also surely the first time that the current County champions have no representative on the panel.One would in normal circumstances have expected two of the McGoldricks and Niall Holly to be on it.But apparently that is not the case. Sean Leo has retired.Liam intends to travel.Colm McGoldrick  and Niall Holy were either not selected or did not want to be considered for selection I presume.

restorepride

Quote from: Waataboutyee on October 29, 2018, 08:20:12 AM
Quote from: Derry Optimist on October 28, 2018, 09:47:29 PM

The dropout rate is worrying and not a good omen for trying to build a settled team to get out of Division 4, never mind for Championship.

theticklemister

What's the difference in the Markey Cup and McLarnon Cup now? I see Cathair Doire are in the former and the College in the later. Also see a lot of Donegal teams in the later while Belfast teams in the McLaron. Has it gone geoographical or it has it graded differently ?

oakleaflad

Quote from: theticklemister on October 30, 2018, 03:09:54 PM
What's the difference in the Markey Cup and McLarnon Cup now? I see Cathair Doire are in the former and the College in the later. Also see a lot of Donegal teams in the later while Belfast teams in the McLaron. Has it gone geoographical or it has it graded differently ?
Other way around. McLarnon is 2nd grade (below McRory), Markey is (I think) 1 below that again. Cathair Doire is basically St.Columb's, Lumen Christi, St.Joe's and Oakgrove amalgamated. Each school still plays individually also where possible eg. St.Columb's in the Markey.

theticklemister

I always knew McLarnon was second, sad times my oul school is at third tier now