On what was a week of notable retirements, one man stood out. An army man.

Started by anspotadubh, May 21, 2013, 02:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anspotadubh

As recently as a few Sunday ago I heard it said. I was remarking that Eoin Larkin's legs looked a little lacking in condition when his wasp-like socks were pulled up. My father nodded, agreed and then he said it. Army man. Then I said it, quietly, under my breath. My earliest recollection of it ever being said was in reference to former Dublin captain Tommy Carr. What does it mean though? And is my old man the only one who utters it?

http://www.anspotadubh.blogspot.ie/2013/05/dermot-earley-army-man.html

Declan

As McGeeney said a class act. Sad way to go out but a great servant

Jinxy

Lovely interview with Dermot on Newstalk last night.
A genuinely decent and honourable man and plenty of people got in touch to express their admiration, which he seemed to be genuinely touched by.
I hope his health recovers enough to allow him to play a bit of club football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Farewell Dermot and best wishes.
Pity you had to go for injury reasons.
Also what a pity your dad didn't get a posting to Athlone back in the 80s  :(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

A great grafter on the field and off it I can only imagine. Full of battling spirit as personified playing the day his father was buried. You'd have to be a stone not to be moved that day.

He'll be missed in Kildare and by all GAA fans.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Dinny Breen

Sound man, will be missed.

Fair comment to say that Dermot and his Dad are the best father and son combination never to have won an All-Ireland.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

Nothing needs saying besides he is a great man and a great player.

Any chance you could get stationed to Athlone so we can have the Dermot Jr Jrs?!

Wildweasel74

An army man. A man not to be messed with. A man for all seasons. A man you'd go to war with. A man's man.

Dermot Earley. I salute you.

Gotta be the best line i have ever hear about a player retiring, all of it true, just like his father, a chip of the old block as they say

Donnellys Hollow

Extended interview with Dermot on Kfm with Clem Ryan: http://kildaretoday.podomatic.com/entry/2013-05-20T06_02_06-07_00

I think McGeeney summed it up well when he said that the players that are remembered are the ones that showed class, diplomacy and grace. Dermot has all three in abundance. I remember being in Coffey's in Newbridge after the 2000 Leinster Final and I couldn't get over the time Dermot had for all the kids that were there. He made it his business to bring the cup around each and every one of them for a photograph and to sign their jerseys. For someone who was only around 21 or 22 at the time, it just showed the maturity of the man and it has stuck in my mind ever since. Most of the rest of the players there were a bit worse for wear!

The Kildare supporters had an incredible grá for Dermot and we will all miss his presence. Two memories stick out, the reception he received when he was warming up on the sideline against Louth in Navan in 2002 only a few months after his illness. His performance in that year's Leinster Final was his finest ever as far as I'm concerned. The other memory would be the night of his father's burial in Newbridge when he lined out against Antrim. It was a fitting tribute to Dermot snr. I won't forget the reception him and his brother received as they walked off the field arm in arm.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Croí na hÉireann

A pity he couldn't get one last run out this summer, hopefully he can manage a couple more years with the club.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...