Mayo v Billie Joe, 13th March 2011 McHale Park

Started by Barney, March 03, 2011, 10:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Strange how rare it is for these two teams to play especially since the two teams consistently challenged in all competitions throughout the 90s.

Last game was a league semi-final in Croke Park after a postponement in Roscommon. Stevie McDonald went to town on our full-back line and the Orchard County won comfortably by 5 points.

Other than that when did we last play in senior football? It must have been the 90s?

Greenabovethered

I remember a league game in Charlestown about ten years ago, when Armagh won by 3/4 points. 

naka

Quote from: Greenabovethered on March 03, 2011, 11:38:36 AM
I remember a league game in Charlestown about ten years ago, when Armagh won by 3/4 points.
jack o shea was theMayo manager for this game( he wore kerry socks, if i remember correctly Keith Quigley was MOM for Armagh

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: naka on March 03, 2011, 01:20:51 PM
jack o shea was theMayo manager for this game( he wore kerry socks, if i remember correctly Keith Quigley was MOM for Armagh

Whatever about a game 10 years ago it is closer to 20 years since Jacko managed the Mayo men, I was at the game you are thinking of and that was 1992 I reckon, scorcher of a day I think.

Tubberman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 03, 2011, 04:05:24 PM

Whatever about a game 10 years ago it is closer to 20 years since Jacko managed the Mayo men, I was at the game you are thinking of and that was 1992 I reckon, scorcher of a day I think.

Yeah that was in March 1993. Jacko was manager that year, which led to a horror-show AISF against Cork.
Details courtesy of Willie Joe http://www.mayogaablog.com

Mayo 0-8 Armagh 0-10 (Charlestown, 14/3/1993). MAYO: G Irwin; K Beirne, K Cahill, K Mortimor; M Coyle, P Holmes, J Finn; R Dempsey (0-3, two frees), S Maher; J Jennings (0-4, three frees), K Reilly, T Morley; M Fitzmaurice, R Golding, PJ Loftus. Subs: K Staunton (0-1) for Reilly, P Brogan for Fitzmaurice.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tubberman on March 03, 2011, 04:50:49 PM

Yeah that was in March 1993. Jacko was manager that year, which led to a horror-show AISF against Cork.

Mayo 0-8 Armagh 0-10 (Charlestown, 14/3/1993). MAYO: G Irwin; K Beirne, K Cahill, K Mortimor; M Coyle, P Holmes, J Finn; R Dempsey (0-3, two frees), S Maher; J Jennings (0-4, three frees), K Reilly, T Morley; M Fitzmaurice, R Golding, PJ Loftus. Subs: K Staunton (0-1) for Reilly, P Brogan for Fitzmaurice.

Jesus that was a team badly caught between two eras. Guys like Irwin, Finn, Maher, Fitzmaurice and Beirne going out with K Mort, Cahill, Holmes, Golding and Loftus coming in. Although I always wonder why Michael Fitzmaurice wasn't around for longer. If he was minor in 1985, then he'd only have been 29 in 1996. Now, of course, we had a spectacular free-taker in Maurice Sheridan but did Michael just drift away?

Oh, and sorry to be pedantic Barney, but it is Billy Joe. Billie is the female spelling of it and always seems to be repeated in the Connaught Telegraph. There are enough problems for the lad with that name without being confused with a girl too!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Armaghtothebone

Giving my age away here!

anyone remember a league game between the two played in Ballyhaunis.
I know i was there but have no idea when or who won??

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

I was @ that match, I must have been 13 or so, remember thinking what a p***k O'Shea was wearing Kerry socks as Mayo manager. In my memory that game was in Ballina, but if it was Charlestown, could we have being playing Roscommon in Ballina around the same time. Was Roscommon in the same division as us that year?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

I think 1995 was the last time we were in the same division but we did play Mayo in the Semi final in 2001
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

naka

feck it i am getting old 20 years ago

Estimator

Quote from: Tubberman on March 03, 2011, 04:50:49 PM

Good to see Kora Staunton getting a run out in the league  ;D
Ulster League Champions 2009

StoneWall

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 03, 2011, 05:03:20 PM
Jesus that was a team badly caught between two eras. Guys like Irwin, Finn, Maher, Fitzmaurice and Beirne going out with K Mort, Cahill, Holmes, Golding and Loftus coming in.

You have to remember there was a time when it was harder to get off the Mayo team than on it! Played a league game against Tony Morley once, over a pint afterwards I asked him was he still involved with Mayo. He sighed and said he was. He reckoned he'd spent the previous two seasons trying to get dropped (missing training, boozing etc.) but hadn't succeeded!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: StoneWall on March 04, 2011, 02:17:18 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 03, 2011, 05:03:20 PM
Jesus that was a team badly caught between two eras. Guys like Irwin, Finn, Maher, Fitzmaurice and Beirne going out with K Mort, Cahill, Holmes, Golding and Loftus coming in.

You have to remember there was a time when it was harder to get off the Mayo team than on it! Played a league game against Tony Morley once, over a pint afterwards I asked him was he still involved with Mayo. He sighed and said he was. He reckoned he'd spent the previous two seasons trying to get dropped (missing training, boozing etc.) but hadn't succeeded!

That explains a lot! Tony was impossibly glamourous for the time with the long, blonde hair. But then we saw him play and it didn't quite tally with the look.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

DuffleKing

Did armagh not travel to mayo first game of the league in the 96/97 league? would have been pre christmas and i think ended in a draw? mayo just coming off an all ireland final defeat

Carbery

Who has replaced Billy Joe Padden in the Mayo team now that he is lining out for Armagh?