Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: grounded on April 01, 2017, 09:50:43 AM
For those of you who self built your house in the North who did you use for self build insurance? Have looked at a few but the quotes vary widely between them. Thanks for any help
Used ProTek. Competitive price and we had a claim for A wall coming down and very easy to deal with.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Norf Tyrone

Might be putting on an extension/ rennovation to a house.

Any good websites where you can design your own plans?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

trueblue1234

Would anyone know if you have to put a 6" vent in for an electric fire/stove? I know you have to for solid fuel but I didn't think there would be a requirement when it's electric. But just wanted to double check?

balladmaker

QuoteWould anyone know if you have to put a 6" vent in for an electric fire/stove? I know you have to for solid fuel but I didn't think there would be a requirement when it's electric. But just wanted to double check?

I think it's just for solid fuel/stove as you say ... though not sure if it now applies to any room that has a chimney in it irrespective of what the fire type is (just to make sure the room is future proof should you decide to put a stove in later) ... best to check with buidling control. 

I know I had to put them into two rooms, seemed an awful waste insulating the house to cut a hole in the wall!

balladmaker

Built 4 years ago, used good insulation in walls and floor of attic, and probably went overboard with the attic insulation.  Upstairs is warm whilst the heat is on, the problem is once the heat is turned off, upstairs seems to have zero heat retention ... half an hour after turning heat off, upstairs is very cold.  Something not right. 

Can anyone recommend a way to check where the heat is getting out?  Has anyone went for the sprayed foam insulation in the attic between the rafters?

Hereiam

Have u many downlighters in the ceiling

trueblue1234

Quote from: balladmaker on April 05, 2017, 10:16:20 PM
Built 4 years ago, used good insulation in walls and floor of attic, and probably went overboard with the attic insulation.  Upstairs is warm whilst the heat is on, the problem is once the heat is turned off, upstairs seems to have zero heat retention ... half an hour after turning heat off, upstairs is very cold.  Something not right. 

Can anyone recommend a way to check where the heat is getting out?  Has anyone went for the sprayed foam insulation in the attic between the rafters?

You could try and get someone in to do an air tightness test. Should highlight any problems. Would you notice any drafts near the windows? Badly fitted windows can be a big culprit.

Smokin Joe

Am going to put a small extension on my house. Anyone recommend a tidy builder around the Armagh area?
Tidiness is important as we're living in the house.

Ed Hardy

Any QS's on here that I could PM. a quick question too?

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 02, 2017, 12:29:58 AM

As opposed to paying an architect £300-£400 for a professional job?   If you design it yourself the builder will have that extra price out of you 5 times over!

snoopdog

Hi. Looking at buying a 4 bed house in dublin. Needs rewired and an updated new heating system 4 bed 1 bathroom 4 rooms downstairs with a wc. Any idea roughly the cost. Would need new radiators throughout.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: JimStynes on January 24, 2012, 10:30:46 PM
anybody ever use this company run by a fella called Eric Davidson? http://www.reinco.co.uk/

Jim I know it's a while ago but did you use this fella?

laoislad

Quote from: snoopdog on May 03, 2017, 12:06:57 PM
Hi. Looking at buying a 4 bed house in dublin. Needs rewired and an updated new heating system 4 bed 1 bathroom 4 rooms downstairs with a wc. Any idea roughly the cost. Would need new radiators throughout.
Looking at between €5000 to €6000 for a rewire.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 23, 2017, 07:30:02 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 02, 2017, 12:29:58 AM

As opposed to paying an architect £300-£400 for a professional job?   If you design it yourself the builder will have that extra price out of you 5 times over!

It was really only to get a few designs on paper before I went to architect, which I did.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Low and Hard

Quote from: giveherlong on January 09, 2017, 10:07:08 AM
Anybody using the help to buy ISA?
What way do you go about claiming your bonus with a self build mortgage?

You have any luck with this? What bank were you with?