The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: trileacman on June 01, 2017, 11:20:08 PM
You all seem like you're on your periods. Bit of a non-issue to get all angsty about.

Rugby will suffer like Gaa in that the drive to professionalism deters participation. Gone are the days that a heavy drinking culture was synonymous with a rugby/gaa club. That and the damage done to the body and brain by 80+ mins of bash artistry will probably go against rugby in the draw for larger youth numbers.

Heaven forfend sir you should proffer anything that goes against the party line.

AhNowRef

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 02, 2017, 08:11:37 AM
How much is this World Cup going to cost?
and how much do we have to pay World Rugby?

think of all the grassroots multi-sports facilities that could be developed across the country for the same amount
lunacy

Yeah, imagine if we accidentally got to host it twice in a row  :o ...  Dustin the Turkey would have to be put forward to construct & deliver the application for the next one .. and then we'd never win it again  :-[

DuffleKing

As someone involved in the promotion of Gaelic games at grass roots I don't want the RWC to come to town. It will be a fantastic sporting and tourist spectacle and no doubt phenomenal financial and feelgood windfall for the country. From a sports viewing perspective I'd also love it. However, the creep towards rugby is growing at juvenile level and this fantastic marketing occasion will only increase the flow. Selfish, insular reasoning I know but I guess I'm just like that!

Walter Cronc

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 02, 2017, 01:23:59 PM

As someone involved in the promotion of Gaelic games at grass roots I don't want the RWC to come to town. It will be a fantastic sporting and tourist spectacle and no doubt phenomenal financial and feelgood windfall for the country. From a sports viewing perspective I'd also love it. However, the creep towards rugby is growing at juvenile level and this fantastic marketing occasion will only increase the flow. Selfish, insular reasoning I know but I guess I'm just like that!

But Duffle....Irish rugby is on the slide according to Mouview! Kids will stop playing it.

seafoid

Rugby has destroyed the GAA in Derry. Just look at how the team played against Throne. The press ganged GAA lads end up bulking up on rugby supplements and crashing into Leinster fellas who are unable to move if the ball is unloaded quickly by an Antipodean. Plus concussion. Both Gaelic football and rugby are losers. C'est Lavey
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

And football in Dublin has been all but wiped out by Leinster rugby's high-profile European successes.

seafoid

Football in the Leinster home counties is ruined. Just look at the Leinster championship. Kildare and Meath. And when is the last time there was a close final that wasn't mired in controversy? Rugby with all its empty promises must be in large part responsible.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Rugby is responsible for controversial close Leinster Finals?

Give me a while on that.

AhNowRef

Lads, I think the two can sit side by side quite happily .. Kinda like whats happening right now  ???

Declan

U20s getting tanked by New Zealand at the moment

Declan

That's some Group 2

In other news: Ireland suffered their third loss at the World Under-20 Championship, falling to a 69-3 defeat against New Zealand in Kutaisi

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Declan on June 08, 2017, 03:31:58 PM
That's some Group 2

In other news: Ireland suffered their third loss at the World Under-20 Championship, falling to a 69-3 defeat against New Zealand in Kutaisi

It was fairly obvious this years u20s would struggle. Not an overly great side compared to last year (this happens) but to lose 7 or 8 starters is massive. Coupled with the whole McElroy debacle, the sooner it ends the better!

mouview

But I thought you said our next generation are better than ever before Walt?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: mouview on June 08, 2017, 04:16:18 PM
But I thought you said our next generation are better than ever before Walt?

I was referring to our U20 performances in the last 3-4 years where we have continued to punch well above our weight. 3rd and 2nd in the U20 WC in the last 4 years.

This years side are young and missing over half their starting 15. They were bound to struggle.

Don't worry your wee head anyway Mouview. You can sleep well as you don't watch rugby anymore!