Freeing memory on laptop

Started by lfdown2, February 18, 2009, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

Folks, trying to free up memory on the laptop, have run the disk clean up, deleted and big files and a couple of smaller programs, but when i go to delete a couple of the bigger programmes that i never use i have the problem that 'you require x mb to delete this programme' does anyone know what would be taking up most of the memory other than files and programmes and any ideas on how to free up some memory?

thanks.

stephenite

Depends on the Operating system - in windows if you go to task manager (Start-Run-Taskmgr.exe) there will be a tab within the box that shows up called 'Processes'. This will have a list of each file that is running - there is also columns like CPU, image name etc. If you click on the top of the memory column once or twice it will list it in order of usage which file is using the most RAM. If it's not clear to you which programme this is using post it up here

imtommygunn

Have you run something like CCleaner? It would help you.

If you're then that stuck for space pick the programs you want to take of and go from the smallest up. That is if you have enough free memory to even do the smallest but if you don't something is badly wrong...

Also if you have an external disk then move photos,media etc to external, remove programs and then put them back on.

mylestheslasher

Norton antivirus is an awful hog on resources too if you have it installed. Suggest you switch to a lighter package like avg.

lfdown2

cheers folks il give all the above a go this eve, tried getting rid of norton but you need 200mb to delete it and there in the problems start!

Main Street

Nortons is a virus that doesn't want to go away.

Isn't it strange that an anti virus program should be set up in that way and create obstacles to a user's choice to remove it.

thebigfella

Do you use the system restore utility (think thats what it is called)? You can switch that off and it will free up quite a bit of hard disk space to allow you to remove programs.

lfdown2

how would i set about turning the system restore facility off (sounds familiar)