Kildare v Dublin LSFC - 9th June 2019 Croke Park

Started by Dinny Breen, June 05, 2019, 12:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Yea I thought so too. With all the teeth gnashing going on, the history of the sport and the game gets by-passed. I think it's fair comment that one of the previous beauties of the GAA, it's amateur ethos has been eroded. I don't mean on the pitch, I mean off it. I often wonder is their a co-relation between the development of Croke Park, the appointment of Peter McKEnna in 2001 and the current mess we find ourselves in. The GAA hierarchy became obsessed with maximizing Croke Park revenues, always looking at ways to fill it, has this obsession come at the expense of football, the true national sport. It would be an interesting debate for sure, obviously not the thread for it but when you get reminded of the history, you do worry about the present and the future.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 08, 2019, 09:01:14 AM
Yea I thought so too. With all the teeth gnashing going on, the history of the sport and the game gets by-passed. I think it's fair comment that one of the previous beauties of the GAA, it's amateur ethos has been eroded. I don't mean on the pitch, I mean off it. I often wonder is their a co-relation between the development of Croke Park, the appointment of Peter McKEnna in 2001 and the current mess we find ourselves in. The GAA hierarchy became obsessed with maximizing Croke Park revenues, always looking at ways to fill it, has this obsession come at the expense of football, the true national sport. It would be an interesting debate for sure, obviously not the thread for it but when you get reminded of the history, you do worry about the present and the future.

Of course I want Dublin to win tomorrow but if it were any other team Kildare were playing I would always go for Kildare. That's always been the case but unfortunately in the past they have very often let me down. I often wonder what they lack compared to the likes of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal, Kerry etc. which prevents them from going for the jugular when it really matters. (Am I tempting fate here?)  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

seafoid

I could not care less about the Leinster football championship and I'm sure I am not the only one

J70

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 08, 2019, 01:42:45 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 08, 2019, 09:01:14 AM

Of course I want Dublin to win tomorrow but if it were any other team Kildare were playing I would always go for Kildare. That's always been the case but unfortunately in the past they have very often let me down. I often wonder what they lack compared to the likes of Mayo, Tyrone, Donegal, Kerry etc. which prevents them from going for the jugular when it really matters. (Am I tempting fate here?)  ;)

Er... no!

I think you're safe enough. :)

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 07, 2019, 02:16:25 PM
I see Mannion got his red card overturned

QuoteThat appeal has been successful, the CHC ruling that the alleged infraction of "behaving in a way which is dangerous to an opponent" could not be proven

What does "could not be proven" mean? Surely there's footage and it's either dangerous or not (I didn't see the incident myself)? The whole suspension / appeals process could do with an overhaul
It was clearly an incorrect decision to give the red, so there was really never any doubt that it was going to be overturned.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 09, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 07, 2019, 02:16:25 PM
I see Mannion got his red card overturned

QuoteThat appeal has been successful, the CHC ruling that the alleged infraction of "behaving in a way which is dangerous to an opponent" could not be proven

What does "could not be proven" mean? Surely there's footage and it's either dangerous or not (I didn't see the incident myself)? The whole suspension / appeals process could do with an overhaul
It was clearly an incorrect decision to give the red, so there was really never any doubt that it was going to be overturned.

It was at most a yellow card, mistimed rather than reckless.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Bernard Brogan played for Plunketts last night, so he's not in the 26 today, despite his best efforts to be involved.

Rock, Cooper and Murchin all missed the Louth game through injury. I know Murchin played for Na Fianna since then so he's likely back involved, dunno about the other two.

A bit worrying from a Kildare perspective that it seems all it not what it could be in the camp. But maybe that's bull. With all due respect to Longford, it's a bit disappointing that they made such hard work of beating them. When i saw 'no score' after 17mins of the replay, it was a  ::) moment, but scoring 1-18 in the remainder must have meant there was a massive improvement and maybe something to build on.
Feely to full forward being suggested by the Wooly podcast. But would that be too big a loss from midfield?

highorlow

Looks like the 1/80 shots are home and hosed. Probably beat the -14 handicap. Probably the end of O'Neill?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

trailer

Dublin v probably the 2nd best team in Leinster. 2 and a bit pages on GAA board, but don't tier the championship.

Imagine Dublin being tested by Kerry, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Tyrone etc, in the white heat of championship. Proper tests. Not this turkey shoot which Leinster has become. Most teams aren't even trying against them.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2019, 06:59:31 PM
Dublin v probably the 2nd best team in Leinster. 2 and a bit pages on GAA board, but don't tier the championship.

Imagine Dublin being tested by Kerry, Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Tyrone etc, in the white heat of championship. Proper tests. Not this turkey shoot which Leinster has become. Most teams aren't even trying against them.

Mayo or Tyrone wouldn't be much of a test for them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2019, 07:02:29 PM

Mayo have gone so far back it's frightening but even more scary is people haven't coped it yet . 

Saying that I don't believe any team will even come close to beating Dublin this year or for the foreseeable . Perhaps they will lose their hunger after six or seven but will they ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: larryin89 on June 09, 2019, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2019, 07:02:29 PM

Mayo have gone so far back it's frightening but even more scary is people haven't coped it yet . 

Saying that I don't believe any team will even come close to beating Dublin this year or for the foreseeable . Perhaps they will lose their hunger after six or seven but will they ?
Can't see this happening larry- not any time soon- as in the next 20 years r thereabouts! Dublin has the most complete set of footballers you'll find anywhere or at any time. You have to give them full credit for that. I mean we can gripe with reason about the massive imbalance in central funding and lots of other issues as well but for any other side to better them in the foreseeable future is a non-runner. There's one or two other counties, Kerry for one, who might edge them in a one-off final or semi once in a while but I can't see any other county ever having the logistics, players, facilities and back up etc. to keep  the Dubs off the Hogan Stand on the third Sunday of September for more than an odd year in maybe five. When the famous Blue Wave initiative was published (in 2011?), Dublin (some CB members anyway) were predicting 3 out of 5 AIs as a possibility but it looks as that was totally underestimating the realities.
Dublin will always always have a stream of talented younger players attempting to force their way to the top and,equally, a number of established players trying hard to hold onto their starting places at all costs. Whatever problems Jim Gavin may have in time to come with his team, lack of motivation won't be one of them.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on June 08, 2019, 05:56:59 PM
I could not care less about the Leinster football championship and I'm sure I am not the only one

You care enough to post in a thread about it. And to read said thread.