All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHandTom

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 28, 2017, 07:55:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 28, 2017, 01:36:22 AM
Lads, just what options do you think are available in Donegal?

These are the best players in the county and will be on the senior squad and first fifteen come the summer. In case you missed it, we lost half a team since last year. If older players were there, they would have played over the past couple of seasons.

Lacey and McElhinney and McBrearty came on yesterday on their way back from injury. Ciaran Gillespie as well, although he did play in the midweek U-21 game. Ryan McHugh could be out for a while now, depending on how bad that ankle injury he was carried off with turns out to be. Jason McGee, another U-21, will be playing for the seniors this summer too, although he's out at the moment.

No-one is saying that Donegal shouldn't be playing any U21s or anything like that but surely things aren't that bad in Donegal that they could manage things in the squad even a smidge better ?

Sure its widely known that there's bad blood between the Donegal u21 management and senior. There's no need for Rory Gallagher to be playing so many young lads but he persists regardless. I'd say Gallagher can't wait to see the 21s out of the championship.

J70

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 28, 2017, 07:55:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 28, 2017, 01:36:22 AM
Lads, just what options do you think are available in Donegal?

These are the best players in the county and will be on the senior squad and first fifteen come the summer. In case you missed it, we lost half a team since last year. If older players were there, they would have played over the past couple of seasons.

Lacey and McElhinney and McBrearty came on yesterday on their way back from injury. Ciaran Gillespie as well, although he did play in the midweek U-21 game. Ryan McHugh could be out for a while now, depending on how bad that ankle injury he was carried off with turns out to be. Jason McGee, another U-21, will be playing for the seniors this summer too, although he's out at the moment.

No-one is saying that Donegal shouldn't be playing any U21s or anything like that but surely things aren't that bad in Donegal that they could manage things in the squad even a smidge better ?

How though? Have an extra five to ten players in the squad to cover the last two league games to give the U-21s a rest?

BluestackBoy

An awful lot of oul cobblers being spoken about the Donegal U21's being out on their feet paying 2 games a week.

These young lads can't wait for the next game with both Donegal teams going so well, besides which if they weren't playing midweek they would be training instead & injuries can be picked up in training as easily as playing. Momentum & confidence are huge factors in the success of any outfit & Declan Bonner should be delighted that so many of his players have had exposure to senior football & done well. It can only add to them as players.

As far as Rory is concerned, he is trying to meld a squad of rookies & old hands into a championship team that has Ulster in it's sights. He won't be able to do that if he can't play his key players week in week out.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

magpie seanie

Going to miss Saturday due to a long standing commitment as I understand one of our most committed Sligo contributors on here is. It will be very tough. Mayo were a good side and Galway disposed of them quite comprehensively. It's a disgrace we've never won a provincial title at this grade, had good enough teams a few times but fecked up in our own inimitable way. Hope we can right that wrong at the final time of asking.

GalwayBayBoy

Any Galway posters know why Evan Murphy isn't on the U-21 team this year? Was probably the stand out player on last year's minors and his teammates Robert Finnerty and Dessie Conneely are on the team but he isn't. I'm guessing that he has soccer commitments of some sort but not sure.

An Fhairche Abu

Is he not still underage for minor this year?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 29, 2017, 02:23:41 PM

Could be alright although I don't think he's been playing for the minors in the league. Again not sure what his soccer commitments are.

Actually just did some digging. He's been playing for Ireland in the Centenary Cup. Playing Scotland on April 6. Match report from game against the North. Looks like he was captain too.

http://www.faischools.ie/international/news/2017/mar/thu/centenary-shield-republic-late-flourish-edge-north

ballinaman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 29, 2017, 02:32:13 PM

Could be alright although I don't think he's been playing for the minors in the league. Again not sure what his soccer commitments are.

Actually just did some digging. He's been playing for Ireland in the Centenary Cup. Playing Scotland on April 6. Match report from game against the North. Looks like he was captain too.

http://www.faischools.ie/international/news/2017/mar/thu/centenary-shield-republic-late-flourish-edge-north
He started last Saturday vs Mayo in Minor league. Dangerous at delivering long ball to inside line, peels off well to the wing and is a playmaker from there. Doesn't threaten the scoreborard any time I've seen him however.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on March 29, 2017, 02:44:47 PM

He started last Saturday vs Mayo in Minor league. Dangerous at delivering long ball to inside line, peels off well to the wing and is a playmaker from there. Doesn't threaten the scoreborard any time I've seen him however.

He's fit in perfectly on the Mayo senior team so.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2017, 02:54:59 PM

He's fit in perfectly on the Mayo senior team so.

GalwayBayBoy

Did he? I thought I saw the team online and he wasn't on it but there could have been late changes in usual GAA fashion. He scored a fair bit in the Connacht championship last year but didn't have a great final against Kerry. Put a few early shots wide and the head dropped a little I think. Took a bad belt in the semi final if I remember correctly.

ballinaman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 29, 2017, 03:21:38 PM

Did he? I thought I saw the team online and he wasn't on it but there could have been late changes in usual GAA fashion. He scored a fair bit in the Connacht championship last year but didn't have a great final against Kerry. Put a few early shots wide and the head dropped a little I think. Took a bad belt in the semi final if I remember correctly.
Yeah, he delivered some quality ball to inside line....Darragh Silke from Corofin looks like a player, good left peg. He is anything to Ray? April 29th in Castlebar is set up nicely.

Duine Eile

Quote from: ballinaman on March 29, 2017, 03:37:45 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 29, 2017, 03:21:38 PM

Yeah, he delivered some quality ball to inside line....Darragh Silke from Corofin looks like a player, good left peg. He is anything to Ray? April 29th in Castlebar is set up nicely.

He's Ray's nephew, brother of Liam that plays with the seniors. He started the year as captain last year but got a bump on the head and missed nearly all of the championship with concussion.

galwayman

Well he scored heavily last year for the minors apart from the final.
2-4(1-2 from play) against Ros, 0-2 from play against Mayo, 1-3 from play against Laois and 0-2(1 from play) against Donegal.
Granted his game is a lot about distribution though.
He would be a big loss if the minors had to play without him this year.

ballinaman

Quote from: galwayman on March 29, 2017, 05:08:56 PM

Well he scored heavily last year for the minors apart from the final.
2-4(1-2 from play) against Ros, 0-2 from play against Mayo, 1-3 from play against Laois and 0-2(1 from play) against Donegal.
Granted his game is a lot about distribution though.
He would be a big loss if the minors had to play without him this year.
Hadn't seen those scores...only saw him in Connacht final last year and last Saturday vs Mayo.
On a side note, what's the story with the Galway selector shouting THERE every 5 seconds...one of the most booming/irritating voices I've ever heard at a match  ;D from where I was sitting in the stand, he dominated the game ..haha