Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 07, 2020, 09:03:15 PM
Quote from: Mayo Border on November 07, 2020, 07:50:37 PM
Why is the Dublin Westmeath match being played in Laois? Is it not a home game for Westmeath?
Probably due to no floodlights in Mullingar

Games can be played in daylight too. It didn't have to be at 6.15pm. And there are floodlight in Mullingar - just not in Cusack Park. Could easily have been played under lights in St.Loman's. But TV dictates.

Rossfan

Mullingar couldn't hold the crowd.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on November 07, 2020, 09:22:01 PM
Mullingar couldn't hold the crowd.......

Or the Dublin backroom team.

From the Bunker

Dublin ladies into the AI final. Going for 4 in a row! Another one in a generation team!

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 28, 2020, 09:02:36 PM
Dublin ladies into the AI final. Going for 4 in a row! Another one in a generation team!

Yes - take them out of Croke Park  ::)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 28, 2020, 09:09:09 PM

I'll be cheering for Dublin in the final, who ever it is they are playing? Does it matter?

tonto1888

Was a good game. Dublin just had that  wee bit more experience than us

BennyCake

There's an All Ireland in that ladies team of ours.

A great effort tonight.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 28, 2020, 09:44:26 PM

I'll be cheering for Dublin in the final, who ever it is they are playing? Does it matter?

Well if it's Cork in the final you'll have to support Dublin. Cork already have a five-in-a-row and a six-in-a-row under their belts - and those two runs were separated by only one year. If that goes on it will destroy the game and the sky will fall and we'll all be ruined.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

From the Bunker

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 29, 2020, 12:10:02 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 28, 2020, 09:44:26 PM

Well if it's Cork in the final you'll have to support Dublin. Cork already have a five-in-a-row and a six-in-a-row under their belts - and those two runs were separated by only one year. If that goes on it will destroy the game and the sky will fall and we'll all be ruined.

I'll be cheering ye on!

From the Bunker

National Broadcaster Sports news.

Item 1 Cuala announce new coach
Item 2 All Ireland football semi finals
Item 3 All Ireland Lgfa semi final.

Mention of Laois re-apointing hurling manager ...

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Dinny Breen

Sean and Bertie,.

Dublin weren't happy with 4 or 5 provincial titles and an All-Ireland every decade.

They actually failed at growing the game, instead they just activated the middle class burbs. Thing is middle class parents, studies have shown, provide better support, emotionally, mentally and financially to their children. They become invested. It means less kids drop away, stay involved longer, creates better players.

Unintended consequences and certainly not the brilliang planning line that keeps getting thrown out. Would love to see an economist examine their success 

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/inner-city-blues-dublins-battle-canals-352946?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

And once the middle classes got onto committees, everything gets better, business smarts to the fore.

The.middle classes saved Dublin GAA.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Most of the stuff in that article is absolutely correct, but it does bug me when a so-called journalist leaves a massive omission and a downright lie, just because it wouldn't suit the rest of the article.

There's not a single mention of the one area that has given Dublin the most players in the current era - Ballymun! To say largely recruited from Dalkey and Castleknock is just false. There's no interest in truth, there's a point to be made and giving an accurate picture would only muddy the waters.

But Dublin city centre is compete soccer heartland. People talk about Dublin's population, and willfully ignore all the non-Dubs, but many don't realize the amount of Dublin people in middle class areas who have absolutely no interest in GAA, and the amount of people, particularly in working class areas, who hate the GAA and hate the brand 'the Dubs'.

There's a whole generation of soccer loving Dubliners in their 50s and older who hate the GAA because of treatment they received. So many stories like Con Martin who played mainly with Villa and Ireland , but won a Leinster with the Dubs and wasn't given his medal for about 40 years because he played soccer. And Liam Brady was expelled from his school because he played a youth international with Ireland rather than a Gaelic match with his school! And those were obviously the tip of the iceberg.

So as well as your elders giving you that information, as mentioned in the article, there's also no facilities in inner city and no club identity, so GAA has made little inroads.