Leinster SHC 2016

Started by SpeculativeEffort, April 27, 2016, 12:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Anyone been to see them train at all. That might give an indication as to the starting 15.

Corner back and full back positions haven't been settled through the league. I assume we will see something along the lines of what we saw at the latter stages of the league.

Will Mullaney hurl in the half back or full back line. Purcell will probably start in centrefield but who will start beside him. Matthew probably back to centre but someone mentioned he should be tried at full back. I would have Mullaney at full meself. Cahir Healy can play anywhere but where would he be best for Laois. Centreback? I still think no one is better than Healy to man mark a lad so the opposition might have a big say in where he starts. 

Tom Delaney at left half back or would you try him in centrefield with Lee Cleere staying in the half back line.

Forwards I would assume will be 6 from Cha, Willie, Picky, Scully, King, Foyle, Conroy and Reddin. Based on league form I wouldn't say Picky would be a definate starter but he has the ability to put in a good performance and he is due one.

Cha and Willie certs to start.

One thing for sure, knowing Cheddar is that whatever team he picks there will be changes before the throw in!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

Offaly in Tullamore. Lovely.  ::)
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

blueandwhite1

Hopefully it will be a nice day and we play to our potential - at least we should be competitive. Kerry are a good side and were hard beaten, more than we could manage this year on 2 occasions. All that being said, this should be a 50:50 game.

redsetanta

In fairness it is the best outcome for Laois. If we manage to beat Offaly, our nearest and dearest rivals, in Tullamore it will be great preparation for the semi final. We will have to raise our game for them and it would be good to get some consistency so beating Offaly for a second year in a row would lay down a marker.
Laois have to start getting victories particularly at grounds like Tullamore if we're going to improve and become more than a 'home' team. The last decent win in O'Connor Park in either code, that I remember is the replay win for the footballers in 2003.

When did we last beat Offaly in Tullamore in hurling championship?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Any word from the camp lads? What's training going like and any idea of a starting 15? Is it taking shape.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: redsetanta on May 23, 2016, 11:06:16 AM
In fairness it is the best outcome for Laois. If we manage to beat Offaly, our nearest and dearest rivals, in Tullamore it will be great preparation for the semi final. We will have to raise our game for them and it would be good to get some consistency so beating Offaly for a second year in a row would lay down a marker.
Laois have to start getting victories particularly at grounds like Tullamore if we're going to improve and become more than a 'home' team. The last decent win in O'Connor Park in either code, that I remember is the replay win for the footballers in 2003.

Wasn't that replay in Portlaoise?

les Antiques

Definitely Tullamore !! Ian Fitzgerald on top form. 

Dave like the tv channel

29/04/1923. We won 6-3 4-3. However, we beat them in Birr in 1965, 1953, 1949, 1940, 1938, 1934 & 1932.

We also beat them in 1908, but I don't know where.

Ogie

Very little chat, discussion or build up to our biggest game of the year, same on the Offaly forum, more interested in talking about Connacht rugby!!

I know the lads have been trainin hard with sole focus on this game, couple of training weekends n final preps last Friday night n Sunday,

Up until last week I didn't really fancy our chances, now I don't know if it's just hope or excitement building but I think we may be able to produce our best hurling of the year on Sunday and win it,
Mentally it must be great for cheddar & the panel to build & focus on one performance Sunday, whilst Offaly have had s turbulent few weeks, up and down,
I think first 20 minutes will be crucial, if we can start well and get ahead Offalys confidence will surely weaken & home crowd get tetchy, Offaly are dependent on Shane Dooley & Bergin, both of whom in guessing will be man marked by Healy & Matthew

I do think it will be close but I'm hoping we can get out of there with a couple of points to spare,

muppet

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on June 01, 2016, 01:34:53 PM

29/04/1923. We won 6-3 4-3. However, we beat them in Birr in 1965, 1953, 1949, 1940, 1938, 1934 & 1932.

Maryborough
MWWSI 2017

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: muppet on June 01, 2016, 02:12:28 PM
Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on June 01, 2016, 01:34:53 PM

Maryborough

Where did you find that?

Joeythelips

Hopefully we will hit the ground running, normally its Laois who are coming in with the round robin games under their belt, offaly have that advantage this time around and will be itching to get one over us. The bookies have them favourites so hopefully our lads have ironed out the creases since the league as given the losses to panel a win here would do wonders for their confidence. Should be a good game.

Thewildcat

Quote from: Ogie on June 01, 2016, 01:54:57 PM
Very little chat, discussion or build up to our biggest game of the year, same on the Offaly forum, more interested in talking about Connacht rugby!!

I know the lads have been trainin hard with sole focus on this game, couple of training weekends n final preps last Friday night n Sunday,

Up until last week I didn't really fancy our chances, now I don't know if it's just hope or excitement building but I think we may be able to produce our best hurling of the year on Sunday and win it,
Mentally it must be great for cheddar & the panel to build & focus on one performance Sunday, whilst Offaly have had s turbulent few weeks, up and down,
I think first 20 minutes will be crucial, if we can start well and get ahead Offalys confidence will surely weaken & home crowd get tetchy, Offaly are dependent on Shane Dooley & Bergin, both of whom in guessing will be man marked by Healy & Matthew

I do think it will be close but I'm hoping we can get out of there with a couple of points to spare,

Zane missing for laois his laois main man ;)

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

we are a seeded team, should be winning this one in our stride, offaly a border line ring cup team, their fans living in the past, cannot see that they now have plonk as compared to the champagne of the past.

TheGreatGame

The low key build up is not surprising after the u21 defeat to be honest, that was a real sucker punch for Laois hurling.  It's up to the seniors then to rescue something from the year, but they'll have it all to do to get the win in Tullamore.  I think we have the forwards to trouble Offaly but playing with a sweeper is going to really hold back the likes of King and Foyle who thrive on one-on-one situations.  We hit 29 points last year, but we can't expect Cha and Willie to be hitting 5/6 points each day out and Offaly will have them closely followed on Sunday. 

Mullaney, Leigh Bergin, Rowland and Colm Stapleton are all in line to make their debuts and a lot will depend on how they take to senior championship.  It's the guys in the next age bracket, the likes of Roddy, Picky and Foyle that need to really step up for this one.  Hyland has being doing it for long enough now and Cha shows that leadership has no link with age, so I'd be expecting big games from these guys.  Make no mistake Laois badly need a win here, but so do Offaly.