Allianz Hurling League 2016

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 11, 2016, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobias

Having read the messages over the past couple of days I have to say some guys that post on here really should be ashamed of some of their comments. The Cheddar Plunkett character assassination is an absolute disgrace. What that man hasn't done for the good of laois hurling is not worth talking about. There is no other man like him in the GAA world in my opinion. He has completely transformed the mindset of laois hurling people. If we lost this game to Kerry a few years ago people would be saying 'ah sure they're at nothing'....'how would you expect to win a game with only 10 turning up to training'. The fact we are very disappointed with the result merely highlights the change in attitude. We now think like Cheddar...we want to compete...we want to win. Cheddar has put his whole life into Managing Laois at senior and minor level over the past 7 years, has made huge sacrifices and invested huge personal money into bringing Laois out of the doldrums.

The commitment the players have shown over the past three years is massive, why?? Ask them! They have huge respect and belief in Cheddar and would do anything for him. He has intrigued them with his unbelievable passion for hurling and for Laois. Would Cahir Healy be playing hurling if not for Cheddar? I would say no! Would Zane Keenan be playing for laois if it wasn't for Cheddar? Well he wouldn't play for previous managers! Would other players be bothered? Some of them have committed only because of Cheddar and the incredibly professional set up that he has put in place.

We haven't beaten Offaly for over 40 years in the championship, ran Galway very very close two years in a row, took Clare to extra time in a league quarter final. Previous to this we could not beat Antrim, got knocked out of the championship by Westmeath, got serious hammerings from Dublin and Limerick, not too mention the 10-10-20 jokes with the whole country laughing at us....will I continue..ok our County Chairman has to get our previous manager out of the cop shop because he was on the beer the night before a game and got done for speeding on the way to the game.

As for Sunday's game yes it's a bad result but given the players missing from last year and an improving Kerry team it's not a huge surprise. I have mentioned this a couple of months ago, I think Cheddar should have brought in a new hurling coach instead of Cunningham as I felt his methods have gone a little bit stale. It was Cunningham that brought the defensive style hurling to Laois, it worked wel for a while it must be said (I didn't see finbarr o tool complaining after the Offaly game last year!!) but I do feel it is time to try something different.

I wrote this piece to highlight the 'facts' and that only for Cheddar I think we would still be in the doldrums, this result on Sunday was not good but If any man can turn it around its Cheddar.
LONG LIVE CHEDDAR PLUNKETT!!!

Tony

Completely agree Tobias. People have verrryy short memories. Calm down people. Things need to change in areas around tactics, but we don't have to kick Jesus out of the barn.

finbar o tool

"We now think like Cheddar...we want to compete...we want to win." are you having a laugh?! cheddar is terrified to take teams on and try to win!

"The commitment the players have shown over the past three years is massive, why?? Ask them! They have huge respect and belief in Cheddar and would do anything for him. He has intrigued them with his unbelievable passion for hurling and for Laois. Would Cahir Healy be playing hurling if not for Cheddar? I would say no! Would Zane Keenan be playing for laois if it wasn't for Cheddar? Well he wouldn't play for previous managers! Would other players be bothered? Some of them have committed only because of Cheddar and the incredibly professional set up that he has put in place."

i agree with some of this, but if cheddar was gone and pro set up was still there, wouldn't that be enough to keep lads there? or would they all just walk away if cheddar left?? the main reason lads wouldn't turn up 4/5 years ago was because it was an amateur (to put it mildly) set up at the time. ive always said i admire cheddar for that, for bringing in a pro set up. i also never doubted his passion. 

"not too mention the 10-10-20 jokes with the whole country laughing at us"

please remember this is cheddars 4th year in charge, and now, we are being bet out the gate by Kerry!! not Cork!
and im delighted so many of you have faith that he can look at the tactics and see where hes going wrong and change accordingly but my faith and patience is gone. he hasnt changed so far so i dont seem him suddenly changing now. like i said, if hes not going to have a go against Kerry, he will never do it!!

"It was Cunningham that brought the defensive style hurling to Laois"

really? where did you hear that?? and sorry but if cheddar is manager then he decided it was a good idea and he who decided to run with it ever since. even if it wasnt his idea!

"(I didn't see finbarr o tool complaining after the Offaly game last year!!)"

have a look back at my posts from June/July last year. i was complaining alright! i nearly got ran off this website for doing so!  :)

"LONG LIVE CHEDDAR PLUNKETT" / "Jesus out of the barn"

too much of this carry on..... wake up people ::)

for once and for all, let me say, again, that i respect and admire cheddar for what he has done and for his passion, and i would love for him to stay on in some capacity next year. just not as manager!! he is NOT improving Laois hurling.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Tony

Right Finabrr. Now tell us which "PROS" to get in that will take us to the top tier, with our budget. We're competitive under Cheddar over the last 4 years - but you seem to know how to get us up with The Kilkenny's and the Galways. Looking forward to your response. Good man.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Tony on February 17, 2016, 08:49:20 AM
Right Finabrr. Now tell us which "PROS" to get in that will take us to the top tier, with our budget. We're competitive under Cheddar over the last 4 years - but you seem to know how to get us up with The Kilkenny's and the Galways. Looking forward to your response. Good man.

Tony why are you quoting "PROS"??
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

purely judged on last sunday I could go to town on the management and many of those that played...it would be a cheap shot.

as we stand here today, cheddar and his backroom staff will still be in a 50-50 chance  of reaching a  leinster semi final in 2016, remember that game is the big one this season.

unless they make an about turn, the retirements has shed this team of great structure, over the last 2years we have lost  almost the entire back line save  for healy.............typical laois hurling, one  could say, we make  progress and then age acts as a spoilsport.........we have been hearing the spin that the underage  structures have been improving, they have, but now is the real test of that  narrative, as  these kids must prove able deputies  for our departed soldiers.

based on last sunday the likes  of bergin, mullaney, reddin, and carroll don't look the solution...however, having to blood so many newcomers at the same time is never ideal.
forget about the walsh cup in the muck, the main trials  for the championship will be in the remaining 4 league  games...I am sure plenty will get their chance, and there may be an element of moving the deckchairs.

you must hand  one thing to cheddar...last year laois staggered in the round robin games but they were on song for the offaly game, in other words he peaked them to perfection.  I  would be prepared to sacrifice this league as a learning curve, if it helps put the pieces of the jigsaw together for the championship.

my one big criticism of cheddar was  that he was solely at fault for the failure of a decent under 21 team in 2015, the resignation saga the day  before that under 21 game left a sour taste.

given how well the players did at minor level, one would reasonably expect the 2016 under 21s to be the best chance laois have of winning provincial silverware in 2016.....we have a very favourable draw and I sincerely hope cheddar gives this squad his utmost attention, they deserve it.

blueandwhite1

Cheddar is a legend and we can never repay what he has done for us over the last couple of years. We would surely be a mid division 2 team and maybe even Christy Ring standard if not for him. His work in supporting and building the senior team has been immense as well as his driving the direction for underage hurling in Laois, and in attracting investment from the GAA in general by highlighting the struggles of weaker counties. No doubt at all that we are in his debt. Although we are still getting the odd embarrassing beating, there have also been major highlights such as those mentioned by others.

However, despite his leadership, people still have a right to air their frustrations on how he sets up the team. Defensive set ups simply don't work in hurling. Look at what Waterford and Galway did to us last year. If you have lads that can shoot from distance, then they will be only too delighted to see the opposition sitting back. You simply have to have a go forward mentality in hurling, unlike football. If we are going to drop anyone back it should be into the middle where at least we can try to increase primary possession. Also, playing people out of position like on Sunday and not addressing it when it goes badly wrong are just mistakes in my view and the manager is accountable for them. Doesn't mean he should be 'sacked' or that we are not appreciative of his contributions but the poor tactical decision making is contributing to some of the bad results and needs to be fixed.

merman

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on February 17, 2016, 11:53:17 AM

my one big criticism of cheddar was  that he was solely at fault for the failure of a decent under 21 team in 2015, the resignation saga the day  before that under 21 game left a sour taste.

given how well the players did at minor level, one would reasonably expect the 2016 under 21s to be the best chance laois have of winning provincial silverware in 2016.....we have a very favourable draw and I sincerely hope cheddar gives this squad his utmost attention, they deserve it.

Cheddar is not directly involved with the U21w this year. Shane Corby is over them with Tony Doran and I think James Walsh as his selectors.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Joeythelips

Team has been named:
http://www.laoisgaa.ie/news/373129/Senior_Hurling_v_Offaly

Huge test for these players, Offaly will be looking to bury them and after the Kerry result most neutrals will expect a convincing win for the Biffos. But it is when the pressure is greatest you find out the most about players character so this is a massive game for Laois. Hope a big crowd turns up to cheer them on.

Ogie

That team won't start, it's just last weeks team with willie Dunphy thrown in for Cha,
I hope Willie, Zane, Tom Delaney start, Matthew back centre back, Foyle to full/centre forward to give us a chance

Mossy Bruce

Well, here's to a strong showing, tomorrow.

GO LAOIS!

:'(
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Actually, they were moving quite well until Offaly went down to 14 men, and after that the Biffos seemed to step it up a bit. Laoise couldn't cope when their big strong men ran at them, and they didn't seem as able to break through the tackle as easily Offaly, thus often getting done for over-carrying. I know you're always losing when you're giving out about the ref., but he did seem to give Offaly the benefit more often.
Good displays from Ross King, Darren Maher, and Leigh Bergin, and better from Picky. Willie got one of his trademark points when he came on, but really, it is very disappointing not to have won this. They seemed the better team in the first half, and went in only three down with a strong wind to come. Not to be able to capitalise on that - and an extra man - is criminal. They'll certainly be in a relegation play-off now, and I'd fancy that to be a return game against Offaly. Lose that, and I think it'll be another play-off w/ the winners of 2A - is that right? Not looking too good, I'm afraid.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: burdizzo on February 21, 2016, 06:51:09 PM
A Lose that, and I think it'll be another play-off w/ the winners of 2A - is that right? Not looking too good, I'm afraid.

Yeah there are plenty of trap doors to avoid relegation. Two more shots at it. One v Offaly/Kerry and one v Antrim/Westmeath. Nearly harder to get out of 1B than get into it.

drici

Kerry 1-05  Limerick 1-16  Half Time
Kerry 1-15  Limerick 1-19  Full Time

Limerick didn't go out of their way to wreck Kerry's and their manager Ciarán Carey's points difference once the match was won. Ciarán will appreciate that.
(Or else there really was a big,big wind).