All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

What went on at the tunnel comrades ??? was in the loo in the cusack at the time

yellowcard

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 19, 2016, 09:01:16 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 19, 2016, 08:08:11 AM
When are referees going to give C O'Connor a black card for cynical fouling? I counted at least 3 yesterday

Or a yellow for constantly mouthing at the referee trying to influence decisions.

Spot on hes a horrible slithery toad, pegged it off the pitch at full time too

Did that equalising point hurt much?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on September 18, 2016, 05:40:29 PM
Thought the referee did alright, the way some of you lads are going on the game will be non-contact soon enough.

Mightily impressed with Mayo's heart and they deserved their draw. Those of you questioning whether Dublin will be as bad again are failing to give Mayo due credit for what they can do against them. Dublin could struggle just as much the next day because Mayo match up well with Dublin. However, I still fear for Mayo as Dublin are unlikely to be as poor in front on the posts again and Mayo don't have the forwards to get it done against the best. You can't help but like this Mayo team though, they are a brilliant bunch of players who deserve all the support they get.

I agree 100% with this. All of this. I thought Mayo would win this game because of the way they match up against Dublin's big players, and in terms of their physical stature and fitness all around the pitch. I think the only reason Mayo haven't gotten over the line is a bit of top quality in the forward line. I know Mayo lads don't like hearing it, but I think it's true. I hate when I hear people talking about Mayo choking. I don't believe they choke at all. I just think they are lacking a small bit of top quality in the way they attack. One or two forwards, certainly, but also just the way they attack is not as polished as the rest of their game.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: yellowcard on September 19, 2016, 09:07:15 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 19, 2016, 09:01:16 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 19, 2016, 08:08:11 AM
When are referees going to give C O'Connor a black card for cynical fouling? I counted at least 3 yesterday

Or a yellow for constantly mouthing at the referee trying to influence decisions.

Spot on hes a horrible slithery toad, pegged it off the pitch at full time too

Did that equalising point hurt much?

No at all. Mayo deserved the draw big time................ I wish though that some people could actually acknowledge the behavior of one or two of their players

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2016, 06:57:27 PM
Nearly every time either O'Shea got the ball in the 2nd half I was out of my chair roaring at the telly in frustration.
Seamie's willingness to hand hard-won possession back to the Dubs nearly lost Mayo the game.
As usual, when Aidan gets the ball the first thing he looks for is contact, not the simple lay-off to a runner.
Honestly, Mayo would have been better off without either of them today.

Also agree with this. And it should be mentioned whenever people say Dublin will be much better the next day. Surely Aidan O'Shea, Seamie O'Shea and Diarmuid O'Connor won't be as poor again.

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 19, 2016, 08:30:39 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 19, 2016, 08:03:50 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 19, 2016, 12:50:06 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 19, 2016, 12:36:35 AM
Aidan O'Shea must be that referee's lover. Persistent fouling throughout the game but somehow never got 2nd yellow/black card.

Dubs were awful today yet got a draw. No way they can be that poor again and have such a week referee. Connolly literally had his shirt ripped off him by Keegan and got a yellow card. Farcical stuff. Dublin were rubbish only scored 9 points and still got a draw. They have far more room for improvement than Mayo and should win the replay

He also punched Keegan on the head about 3 times.

& the first man to grab another man's shirt.  The Keegan v Connolly battle is a brilliant subplot of this fixture.  We all love it, the blood and thunder,  2 of the best players in the country going at it hammer and tongs.  A shake of the hands at the end and I'd say serious mutual respect when all is said and done between the pair.  The faux outrage in here is a bit girly tbh

Who's outraged? I was just pointing out that Connelly struck. To claim Connelly as the victim as the previous poster claimed is just wrong.

wasn't aimed at you Benny, get the morning coffee inte you  :D

Taylor

Connolly covered himself in glory yet again with a few well aimed punches.
Keegan was at him continually off the ball mind you. Our linesman and umpires are as useful as chocolate teapots.

Lane has no balls. Black carded McCarthy then sh1t himself from making any other big decisions.

Connolly, McAuley & clear lift ball at end being prime examples.

Roll on 1st October

seafoid

Neither team lived up to the conventional wisdom's view of them. The Dubs didn't look like a team for the ages. Mayo had bottle. They reminded me of the 95 Clare hurlers. They didn't have a lot of forwards either.

Bord na Mona man

4 All Ireland finals in 5 years and Dublin have won them by and aggregate score of 5 points. Undoubtedly they've been the top team for a while, but how far they're in front of the chasing pack gets wildly exaggerated. Much of this is out of Dublin's control and is a by-product of the generally negative analysis of the overall championship.
Jim Gavin may actually find this draw a blessing, as for first time he has a real mandate to bench under performers like Brogan or Flynn who might well be over the hill. Much of his supposed ruthlessness has involved fringe players.

You'd still say Dublin are most likely to win the replay, but I don't believe there is an easy extra gear they can click into.
Mayo have still plenty to play for. For a bunch of bottlers, they calmly reeled in a 3 point deficit without panicking and desperately going looking for goal.

The Hill is Blue

The consensus of opinion from this discussion would suggest that Mayo will be at unbackable odds to win the replay - that's if their supporters are prepared to put their money where their mouths are.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

yellowcard

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 19, 2016, 10:11:19 AM
4 All Ireland finals in 5 years and Dublin have won them by and aggregate score of 5 points. Undoubtedly they've been the top team for a while, but how far they're in front of the chasing pack gets wildly exaggerated. Much of this is out of Dublin's control and is a by-product of the generally negative analysis of the overall championship.
Jim Gavin may actually find this draw a blessing, as for first time he has a real mandate to bench under performers like Brogan or Flynn who might well be over the hill. Much of his supposed ruthlessness has involved fringe players.

You'd still say Dublin are most likely to win the replay, but I don't believe there is an easy extra gear they can click into.
Mayo have still plenty to play for. For a bunch of bottlers, they calmly reeled in a 3 point deficit without panicking and desperately going looking for goal.

Good post and I'd agree with that assessment. It can't be a co-incidence that Mayo are the team that they have struggled with most to put to the sword. The Dubs are the best side in the country but Mayo are a close second best. Prior to the match I thought Mayo were just operating at a lower level than previous years and that was based on form to date, now I'm not so sure. They are a seriously good side and are anything but bottlers.

yellowcard

Fuzzman

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 19, 2016, 09:05:27 AM
What went on at the tunnel comrades ??? was in the loo in the cusack at the time

Heard on the radio (I think it was Today FM) this morning that Mayo were meant to come out first but they delayed so they came out the same time as the Dubs and there were shouldering and handbags but not sure to what extent.

Did it look like both teams come out at the one time?
What was the story on the Hill? Were Mayo fans ushered to that corner or could you go where you wanted? Was there any hassle on the Hill?

IMHO, Mayo's tigerish tackling along with the rain seemed to knock Dublin's shooting and passing confidence. Rock was having a very high success rate all year but yesterday it all fell apart for him. I saw Dermo C in Harry Byrnes pub last night looking very relaxed.
Does the banquet get cancelled after a draw?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: yellowcard on September 19, 2016, 10:27:03 AM
Where did the 7 miutes injury time come from?
This year refs have been under instruction to add on the proper amount of stoppage as opposed to the token 1 or 2 minutes.