Philly McMahon

Started by Mayo Border, September 21, 2015, 08:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebuzz

Quote from: longballin on September 21, 2015, 12:47:53 PM
Everyone defends their own players no matter what which is our nature but is wrong, however RTE is bang out of order with different standards of analysis for different teams. if that had been a Tyrone player their panelists would have went mental...

Yeah if it had been Justy McMahon instead of Philly McMahon it would definitely have got a different reaction. No question about it.

INDIANA

Quote from: An Watcher on September 21, 2015, 10:49:44 AM
Eye gouging is a sickening offence

It is and I'd never defend that player because I don't like him anyway.

However it's rich listening to Kerry commentators going on about it after Kennelly took Murphy out of it in 2009.

6th sam

I thought the sunday game approach to the McMahon incident was bizarre , and incomparable to their approach in criticising other incidents throughout the year. Des took a hands off approach, while the 3 pundits looked uncomfortable and guarded in their responses. I wonder if any of the players who won their appeals,  in the previously highlighted incidents , used in their defence that the RTE comments prejudiced the initial decisions of CCCC .?This would actually be a reasonable defence, as the coverage of the McCann incident , amounted to trial by television. Have they been warned from on high, that they should not make any comments that could prejudice a potential hearing .....therefore the bland " ah now , he might have had his hand somewhere where it shouldn't have been" . This appeared to be an agreed response, which none of the pundits appeared to be comfortable with.

AZOffaly

I didn't watch the Sunday Game, on purpose, but if they glossed over that, as I'm reading, then the rank hypocrisy is terrible. As I said before, I accused Tyrone lads of paranoia, but sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and that should have been lambasted in the same manner as Sean Cavanagh/Tiernan McCann/General Tyrone nastiness.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2015, 02:44:04 PM
I didn't watch the Sunday Game, on purpose, but if they glossed over that, as I'm reading, then the rank hypocrisy is terrible. As I said before, I accused Tyrone lads of paranoia, but sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and that should have been lambasted in the same manner as Sean Cavanagh/Tiernan McCann/General Tyrone nastiness.

I don't watch the Sunday Game.

But this isn't about the Sunday Game. It isn't about McCann or Tadhg Kenelly either. It is about whether a player committed a vicious and dangerous act or not.
MWWSI 2017

JoG2

Quote from: 6th sam on September 21, 2015, 02:42:14 PM
I thought the sunday game approach to the McMahon incident was bizarre , and incomparable to their approach in criticising other incidents throughout the year. Des took a hands off approach, while the 3 pundits looked uncomfortable and guarded in their responses. I wonder if any of the players who won their appeals,  in the previously highlighted incidents , used in their defence that the RTE comments prejudiced the initial decisions of CCCC .?This would actually be a reasonable defence, as the coverage of the McCann incident , amounted to trial by television. Have they been warned from on high, that they should not make any comments that could prejudice a potential hearing .....therefore the bland " ah now , he might have had his hand somewhere where it shouldn't have been" . This appeared to be an agreed response, which none of the pundits appeared to be comfortable with.

agreed. McStay's reaction for me was the most interesting. I felt he definitely wanted to say more, but for whatever reason, seemed under instruction to bite his tongue.

if I've read the expression 'sour grapes' once today, I've read it a hundred times.

heffo

Quote from: JoG2 on September 21, 2015, 02:51:27 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on September 21, 2015, 02:42:14 PM

agreed. McStay's reaction for me was the most interesting. I felt he definitely wanted to say more, but for whatever reason, seemed under instruction to bite his tongue.

Maybe he's biting his tongue after he received a threatening letter from a Sunday game colleagues solicitor a few years back - there was an incident on the pitch and McStay who was commentating asserted that there was no doubt about it and he had meant to assault the other player.

Bord na Mona man

The Sunday Game boyos kept it hush because of the link up with the Dublin team at the victory banquet.
Remember it turned a bit ugly in 1997 between Ger Loughnane and Eamon Cregan on the Sunday Game. Immediately after the final whistle Loughnane had claimed it was the greatest game of hurling ever played. Cregan in his SG analysis pointed out a few flaws in the game and also made mention of a valid Tipp point that was waved wide.
When they went back over to the hotel Loughnane started to have a go at Cregan and at one stage claimed he was looking after his job in Tipperary with his biased analysis.

Had the pundits torn strips off McMahon there could have been a backlash over at the Gibson hotel and maybe some car crash tv viewing.

laoislad

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 21, 2015, 03:20:06 PM
The Sunday Game boyos kept it hush because of the link up with the Dublin team at the victory banquet.
Remember it turned a bit ugly in 1997 between Ger Loughnane and Eamon Cregan on the Sunday Game. Immediately after the final whistle Loughnane had claimed it was the greatest game of hurling ever played. Cregan in his SG analysis pointed out a few flaws in the game and also made mention of a valid Tipp point that was waved wide.
When they went back over to the hotel Loughnane started to have a go at Cregan and at one stage claimed he was looking after his job in Tipperary with his biased analysis.

Had the pundits torn strips off McMahon there could have been a backlash over at the Gibson hotel and maybe some car crash tv viewing.
At least that might have been more exciting than the match itself was.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mayo.mick

mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

GJL

Quote from: mayo.mick on September 21, 2015, 03:54:19 PM

Not nice. He will be getting a letter. 3 match ban and then the usual appeal.

squire_in_navy_slacks

AZOffaly

brokencrossbar1

whitey

Every winning team seems to have a villian, and we'd all secretly love for them to be on our team