Joe Canning retires

Started by mouview, July 28, 2021, 12:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Premier Emperor

For years there was more hype about him than delivery. It was only when he lost a few stone and got fit that he was any use.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 28, 2021, 04:30:46 PM
For years there was more hype about him than delivery. It was only when he lost a few stone and got fit that he was any use.

Same hype for those Tipp club teams I'd image
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I'd love to see his greatest goals compilation. Also I think he had the best vision of any hurler ever. Some of his passes - almost no look at times - were phenomenal. I saw him a good few times at minor. I've never seen sideline cuts like them. Big loss to Galway.

nrico2006

Never forget his debut against Cork, but the two things that stand out the most are that reverse hand-pass and the swivel goal against Kilkenny where he should have been hooked but the man had magic in his wrists.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40347356.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Writing about the five-time All-Star in the Irish Examiner at the weekend, columnist PM O'Sullivan predicted the retirement as Canning finished his time in maroon as the game's most prolific scorer. 

"The same moment saw him depart, in all likelihood, the Galway jersey. Thirty-three next October, he has given all and took some of the finest scores ever seen," O'Sullivan wrote, before remembering some of those iconic moments.

"So many instances and so many days... Canning's goal in 2015's Leinster final remains something else altogether. Anticipating and anticipating the drop of a long impromptu clearance, catching and pivoting and striking in one seamless movement, the knot that stayed a ribbon.

"Even the net seemed astonished, as the Bolshoi Ballet met the fields of Portumna.

"That goal was liquid instinct, Wimbledon genius transplanted to Croke Park. His goal in 2012's drawn All-Ireland final, one hardly less indelible? Ice in the head.

"He ran off James Regan's incision, taking a popped handpass. Then Canning bevelled across the Kilkenny defence, feinting without hesitating, heading for the one spot where he could only goal, via master blaster effort. Once there, he surely netted, Superbowl genius transplanted to Croke Park."

Added O'Sullivan:

"No one in the history of the game struck a sliotar cleaner than Joe Canning."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Typical thick (Tipp I presume?) comment. Has achieved constantly since he was playing adult hurling at 17.

GaillimhIarthair

Go raibh míle maith agat Joe.

galwayman

I must have dreamt that he won All Stars in his first two seasons then if that's the case. And again three years after that.

Capt Pat

Great player but I am disappointed and I am sure that he is as well that he and Galway only managed one senior all ireland.

seafoid

The reason Galway won one all Ireland is simple.
The project started in late 2011.

The dominant team was Kilkenny.
They beat Kilkenny in the 2012 Leinster Final but lost the all Ireland after a replay.
They were beaten again in the 2015 all Ireland.
2017 was year 6.

If Limerick had emerged in 2012 it would probably have been the same. If Galway had emerged in 2018 ...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

mouview

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 28, 2021, 11:04:51 PM
Great player but I am disappointed and I am sure that he is as well that he and Galway only managed one senior all ireland.

12 and 15 were well winnable for sure. But even Tipp' , with a fine team, were unable to put back-to-backs, while Clare never remotely pushed on after 13. Shows how hard it is now to reach the summit. I daresay even KK in their pomp would have won as many under Cody if the round-robin had been introduced at the time.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 28, 2021, 08:59:38 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40347356.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Writing about the five-time All-Star in the Irish Examiner at the weekend, columnist PM O'Sullivan predicted the retirement as Canning finished his time in maroon as the game's most prolific scorer.

"The same moment saw him depart, in all likelihood, the Galway jersey. Thirty-three next October, he has given all and took some of the finest scores ever seen," O'Sullivan wrote, before remembering some of those iconic moments.

"So many instances and so many days... Canning's goal in 2015's Leinster final remains something else altogether. Anticipating and anticipating the drop of a long impromptu clearance, catching and pivoting and striking in one seamless movement, the knot that stayed a ribbon.

"Even the net seemed astonished, as the Bolshoi Ballet met the fields of Portumna.

"That goal was liquid instinct, Wimbledon genius transplanted to Croke Park. His goal in 2012's drawn All-Ireland final, one hardly less indelible? Ice in the head.

"He ran off James Regan's incision, taking a popped handpass. Then Canning bevelled across the Kilkenny defence, feinting without hesitating, heading for the one spot where he could only goal, via master blaster effort. Once there, he surely netted, Superbowl genius transplanted to Croke Park."

Added O'Sullivan:

"No one in the history of the game struck a sliotar cleaner than Joe Canning."

That goal was indeed a thing of beauty, probably not remembered much as Galway got beat that day, but was one of the best goals I've ever saw.

imtommygunn

The one they threw away was against Limerick. Realistically in those KK games they probably weren't good enough. When it came to it Joe stood up so could not be faulted.