Gardening

Started by Boynegael, March 09, 2008, 04:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guy crouchback

i have a big lawn so i use the granular stuff and i buy agri fertilizer to keep the costs down but if its a small lawn you could use the liquid stuff although i would still go for the granular as its slow release.

as its a small lawn its quite easy to get it looking really well without too much work having said that if you have kids playing on it dont waste your time doing too much as they will destroy it.

if you go to a co-op you could get a big bag  of fertilizer something like 15-10-10 ( higher in nitrogen ) and it would do you all summer.
after that regular cutting will do the trick.
the 3-1 stuff you can get feed-weedkiller-moss killer all in one are pretty good although it is advised not to use them on a new lawn in the first year but in future years they are a great job.

a nice neat edge on a lawn finishes it really well.
it  is advised not to roll a lawn as it compacts the soil bit a light rolling will give you the stripes everyone wants. the best way to get a proper striped lawn it to use a cylinder mower as opposed to a rotary mower but 90% of the mowers out there are rotary.

The Gs Man

Good man, thanks for that.
Keep 'er lit

Hardy

Moss is great. It's green like grass and it doesn't need cutting.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: The Gs Man on April 06, 2017, 01:38:58 PM
Good stuff, thanks.  It's a small lawn so it doesn't take much time at all to cut. 

Would you recommend the liquid feed/fertiliser or the spreadable stuff?

Ask for slow release fertiliser. Check out Westland products. Go for granular otherwise as liquid will not last long and leach away quickly.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 06, 2017, 07:36:30 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on April 06, 2017, 01:38:58 PM
Good stuff, thanks.  It's a small lawn so it doesn't take much time at all to cut. 

Would you recommend the liquid feed/fertiliser or the spreadable stuff?

Ask for slow release fertiliser. Check out Westland products. Go for granular otherwise as liquid will not last long and leach away quickly.
"Slow release fertiliser" Is that the eight pints of Guinness and Doner Kebab stuff?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

BennyCake

Any tips on where to get a small polytunnel for the back garden?