The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ottoman

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on November 30, 2021, 05:41:16 PM
Heard a rumour not sure how true it is that the Laois U20 hurling management have gone against a recommendation by a CB sub committee to have regional trials for this year's squad. Instead favouring a hand picked group of 25 - 30 players starting next Friday. If true I seriously fear for Laois hurling. Have they not learnt anything especially from diastraous minor set ups of the last 2 years in particular. Even colm bonnar in a stronghold like Tipp sees the wisdom of a complete trawl of the county.

I don't know if many counties have open trial sessions for all to attend these days from my experience. I know when I lived in Kildare for a few years and I was semi involved in the local club. Players u14 up to u21 were invited to come into the county panel. There was some occasions where additional players were invited to form an expansive panel for some challenge matches and the likes but that was it. I'm now living in Dublin the last number of years and it seems to be similar, the club might get a phone call to send player x or y but that seems about it. Obviously I cant speak for the whole country and maybe that's just the way its done up here, Kildare and now in Laois. Cant say I'm fully for or against it, I just accepted it as the norm.

clonadmad

Heard a rumour not sure how true it is that the Laois U20 hurling management have gone against a recommendation by a CB sub committee to have regional trials for this year's squad. Instead favouring a hand picked group of 25 - 30 players starting next Friday. If true I seriously fear for Laois hurling. Have they not learnt anything especially from diastraous minor set ups of the last 2 years in particular. Even colm bonnar in a stronghold like Tipp sees the wisdom of a complete trawl of the county.

Its my understanding that 12 to 15 of this years u15s are being brought into the minor squad for next year.

Its far from ideal.

but an improvement on the minor squad of 2/3 years ago which held u15 trials and then was a closed shop to all after that.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Robbo on November 30, 2021, 06:11:56 PM

There are trials/divisionals starting Friday night.

I think the Divisional trials were ditched by management in favour of a hand picked 30.

Robbo

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on November 30, 2021, 07:39:49 PM
Quote from: Robbo on November 30, 2021, 06:11:56 PM

There are trials/divisionals starting Friday night.

I think the Divisional trials were ditched by management in favour of a hand picked 30.

Trials on Friday night. Not enough interest for divisionals.
Not a hand-picked panel.

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on November 30, 2021, 07:04:44 PM

Its my understanding that 12 to 15 of this years u15s are being brought into the minor squad for next year.

Its far from ideal.

but an improvement on the minor squad of 2/3 years ago which held u15 trials and then was a closed shop to all after that.

Why is it not ideal? A minor team is always made up of players from two years.

Home Boys Home

The u20 A hurling championship has just concluded and B Championship is still ongoing. These matches would be better than any trials and would surely have been attended by the management. Great win for my own club Abbeyleix in the A by the way.

There are not too many uncovered jewels out there in Laois that have not been in the system at some stage, you might have late developers but if so they will have featured for their clubs in senior intermediate or junior.

Anyway, I heard the management were contacting up to 30 players in addition to those that were involved last year and are still eligible. Whether it's via trials or training or a combination of both I'm not sure, but between the two groups you are going to have 50 or 60 lads under consideration which is a pretty wide net for Laois hurling.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Home Boys Home on December 01, 2021, 09:22:38 AM
The u20 A hurling championship has just concluded and B Championship is still ongoing. These matches would be better than any trials and would surely have been attended by the management. Great win for my own club Abbeyleix in the A by the way.

There are not too many uncovered jewels out there in Laois that have not been in the system at some stage, you might have late developers but if so they will have featured for their clubs in senior intermediate or junior.

Anyway, I heard the management were contacting up to 30 players in addition to those that were involved last year and are still eligible. Whether it's via trials or training or a combination of both I'm not sure, but between the two groups you are going to have 50 or 60 lads under consideration which is a pretty wide net for Laois hurling.
I agree wholeheartedly with your first 2 points (albeit I was at a large amount of U20 games and no sign of manager) but from what I heard its cherry picked again.
.Surely the clubs individually should select who they want and how many they want to go in for trials initially at the start of any inter County panel. No young player should be denied that opportunity. Of course inter County is not for everyone but the clubs themselves are best placed and should be asked for there selection ftrom U20 down. It seems to work OK across the border.
And if that cooperation is there from the start no club has a right to crib later on in the process. It's something I feel strongly that's been holding Laois for many years.

Robbo

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on December 01, 2021, 06:15:45 PM
...but from what I heard its cherry picked again.

I don't know how to say this any clearer.

There are trials on Friday night. Friday. After Thursday. Trials. Players will play a match and people will watch it. And there will be another one night minimum too.

There is no cherry-picking.
The lads still underage from last year will be part of the panel plus whoever comes through the trials.
Was initially supposed to be Divisionals but couldn't quite get enough. Seems reasonable.

As Home Boys Home said, about 50-60 lads will get a chance between those There from last year and lads trialling.
Jaysus that's not bad. Give the lads a chance. We don't want a close shop approach. 

A lot of your posts are giving out about underage managements. It was minor a couple of years ago and u20s now.

Spiritof1915

Quote from: Robbo on December 01, 2021, 07:35:29 PM
Quote from: Spiritof1915 on December 01, 2021, 06:15:45 PM
...but from what I heard its cherry picked again.

I don't know how to say this any clearer.

There are trials on Friday night. Friday. After Thursday. Trials. Players will play a match and people will watch it. And there will be another one night minimum too.

There is no cherry-picking.
The lads still underage from last year will be part of the panel plus whoever comes through the trials.
Was initially supposed to be Divisionals but couldn't quite get enough. Seems reasonable.

As Home Boys Home said, about 50-60 lads will get a chance between those There from last year and lads trialling.
Jaysus that's not bad. Give the lads a chance. We don't want a close shop approach. 

A lot of your posts are giving out about underage managements. It was minor a couple of years ago and u20s now.
Good man yourself. Your a great man to explain things.
Your eitheir a selector or have a young lad whose a cherry picked player. Fair fucks to you. I ll watch with interest to see if theirs 50 to 60 players trialling next Friday and thereafter for the following 2 weeks.
As regards my comments on previous minor teams. Well that worked out well for the county didn't it.. Great upcoming talent and horrendous results.
And before you accuse me of negatiivity. Try a few of the ideas I suggested going forward and please let the CB know

Robbo

Relax will ya.

You said yourself you "heard a rumour not sure how true it is" and then doubled down a few times.

I'm from a dual club and I know of lads who wwre on minor and underage ootball panels for Laois but didn't even try for the minor hurling and are going to trial Friday.

That's what should be taken for granted every year.
It's hardly revolutionary.

Like you say, the serious counties are doing it every year. Tipp are a great example.

So I say fair play  that it's being done right this year. Happy to give everyone involved credit rather than repeating the same auld rumour that you're not sure is even true....

Spiritof1915

I'm delighted your footballers are going in to hurling trials, long may it last. And no it dosent happened every year, hence my negative comments over the last few years especially those farcical minor efforts. It's a place to express opinions all things gaa related. No?
And for the record My dual clubbed friend its invite only.. Confirmation from the horses mouth. I'll look to replace you come years end

Robbo

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on December 01, 2021, 10:00:45 PM
And for the record My dual clubbed friend its invite only.. Confirmation from the horses mouth.

Great stuff.
You were able to clear up that rumour about trials being cancelled by management.

So it's not just a panel being cherry-picked.
It's players being invited to trial. As is happening in Tipp.

Glad we got to the bottom of that.

Spiritof1915

don't know how to say this any clearer.

There are cherrypicked trials on Friday night. Friday. After Thursday. CherryTrials. Players will play a match that have been cherry picked/invited by the management not the clubs, who know best.. Not like Tipp, not like Kk... I'd write it a few more times for ya but I'm bored now.
Wishing your footballers all the best for Friday. Please say hello I'll be the one with the wig and glasses.

tippmaninlaois

In relation to Tipperary minor hurling squads which has been referenced above

There's about 60 in there at the moment. All doing gym program. Challenge matches started last week.

The selection process is open at all times with players chosen from development squads plus the 4 divisional teams which are in place from u13 up and are treated like individual teams with their own management and training programs

Management are expected to attend as many games as possible including school games with GDA's also offering recommendations

There's also a process in place for club coaches to feed player information into a central scouting type system as well.

In relation to S&C there's is a team of 14 people involved which starts at u13 and goes up to minor with everything linked

Des Ryan from Setanta college is in charge of all this,with input from Damian Young

Setanta College provides all the resources,testing etc for the various teams

Robbo

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on December 01, 2021, 10:28:56 PM
don't know how to say this any clearer.

There are cherrypicked trials on Friday night. Friday. After Thursday. CherryTrials. Players will play a match that have been cherry picked/invited by the management not the clubs, who know best.. Not like Tipp, not like Kk... I'd write it a few more times for ya but I'm bored now.
Wishing your footballers all the best for Friday. Please say hello I'll be the one with the wig and glasses.

You said there was a panel of 30 picked. Cherry-picked.

It's been pointed out that there are over 30 trialling on top of the panel who were there last year.
50-60 players in total.

Anyway, Ill leave you at it.