Who is the most famous person you’ve met?

Started by BennyCake, January 05, 2021, 06:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Bate the head off Conor McGregor one night outside coppers years ago

J70

Being a reserved, shy type in real life, I've never really wanted to meet famous people. Most of the time I wouldn't know what the f**k to say!

Have crossed paths with a few though.

Had my picture taken with Andrea Pirlo at a meet and greet thing in a pub. About the closest I've got to "meeting" a major star.

Got books signed by David Attenborough, E.O. Wilson, Michael Mann (climatologist) and others, if that counts?

I sat watching a Liverpool game in the Abbey Hotel with Paul McGrath and Tony Boyle about 20 years ago. We all gathered independently under the tv in the corner of the bar. No words were really exchanged although we shared a laugh or two over some shite going on in the match. I'd say Tony Boyle was star struck by McGrath. I was impressed to be sitting there with both of them!

Served Adam Clayton one night at a job I had in college.

Finally, I exchanged pleasantries with Jon Tester, a US Senator from Montana, in an airport one time. He was amused by my young toddler I was chasing around after.

J70

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Seaney on January 05, 2021, 09:36:32 PM
Was there not some wab here who banged Wendy James. ;D

I thought you only signed up a couple of months ago - what's your other usernames?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Franko

This twitter thread is a longish read but worth it.

The lad does a load of Ketamine or something then meets Mary McAleese.

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/992006545473966082?s=21

whitey

Quote from: J70 on January 06, 2021, 12:00:30 AM
Being a reserved, shy type in real life, I've never really wanted to meet famous people. Most of the time I wouldn't know what the f**k to say!

Have crossed paths with a few though.

Had my picture taken with Andrea Pirlo at a meet and greet thing in a pub. About the closest I've got to "meeting" a major star.

Got books signed by David Attenborough, E.O. Wilson, Michael Mann (climatologist) and others, if that counts?

I sat watching a Liverpool game in the Abbey Hotel with Paul McGrath and Tony Boyle about 20 years ago. We all gathered independently under the tv in the corner of the bar. No words were really exchanged although we shared a laugh or two over some shite going on in the match. I'd say Tony Boyle was star struck by McGrath. I was impressed to be sitting there with both of them!

Served Adam Clayton one night at a job I had in college.

Finally, I exchanged pleasantries with Jon Tester, a US Senator from Montana, in an airport one time. He was amused by my young toddler I was chasing around after.

On knowing what to say....LOL

I had read one of Joe Biden's books and so I had an in....otherwise I wouldn't have had the nerve to approach him just to say hello and ask for a photograph (his politics are similar to mine so that also helped)

When I was in secondary school a lad in my class family owned a pub in a somewhat remote area, and U2 (the entire band) spent several nights in there over Christmas one year

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 05, 2021, 11:26:42 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 05, 2021, 11:24:15 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2021, 10:09:19 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 05, 2021, 10:05:02 PM
Adrian Logan

What's he like?

Deadly craic. Wouldn't always tell the cleanest jokes either.

If you're involved in the international GAA or any emigrant community you get to meet a lot of top brass. GAA presidents that I've met:

• Sean Kelly
  • Nicky Brennan
  • Christy Cooney
  • Liam O'Neill
  • Aogán Ó Fearghaíl

Other notables that I've met:

• Gavin Newsom when he was running for re-election as Mayor of SF
  • Enda Kenny
  • Michael D Higgins

Michael D, one of Ireland's finest, Gael and gentleman

Certainly is. He has a great wit, and plenty of yarns to tell. His wife's a lovely woman too, I spoke to her a bit longer.

It grinds my gears when a story appears about him on social media, the comment trolls are awful. I don't know what those gobs1tes have against Michael D.

Eamonnca1

Salman Rushdie. Sound fella, very interesting to listen to.

sid waddell

Jesse Jackson opened a door for me once, a literal door

It was at a speaking gig he was doing and the guy at the door said it was full, he shut the door, Jackson was mingling in the foyer just beyond

A couple of girls standing beside me shouted "Jesse"

Jesse heard them and beckoned meself and the girls in, which was very nice of him

J70

Neil DeGrasse Tyson once held the door for me when I was walking into the American Museum of Natural History in NY. Very pleasant fellow.

Ball Hopper

Outside of football...Snoop Dogg, actor Dennis Haysbert, Mary McAleese. 

ziggy90

Met Howard Kendall in a bar at Euston Station. He had a couple of pints with us and talked away about football.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

imtommygunn

Toadfish.

(I haven't met many famous people)