Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General discussion / Re: Brexit.
« Last post by seafoid on Today at 10:05:40 AM »
No deal is about shafting the NHS and giving the savings to the ultra rich in the form of tax cuts.
The ERG don't care about trade.
I still don't understand what the DUP is doing
« Last post by mouview on Today at 10:00:28 AM »
O'Toole can often be pompous and full of himself but this is a good article;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/18/europe-brexit-britain-state-politics-fit-for-purpose
Antrim / Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Last post by paddyjohn on Today at 09:55:46 AM »
What club are you from Farset?

Farset is on the Springfield rd.. so I'm guessing either the Johnnies or Gorts  8)

I only noticed your previous response to Farset, it was a very good question and one that hasn't been answered yet.

County should be getting behind them and hoping they do the job.

« Last post by imtommygunn on Today at 09:52:41 AM »
Broken record or not... The point still stands that they chose to play in a championship below. No amount of feel good factor or name calling will change that.

They play another team from Division two at the weekend. They should win it.

Definitely a broken record.

Sure all division 2 teams are the same standard  :o

The classic damned if they do and damned if they don’t kind of post.

Sure they should just pull out of the game now or the other team shouldn’t even show up :o

Incredibly bitter viewpoint.
Tyrone / Re: Tyrone County Football and Hurling
« Last post by redhandefender on Today at 09:48:23 AM »
Moving in to Garvaghey?

Wise up lads who cares where he lives
Laois / Re: The future of laois hurling
« Last post by clonadmad on Today at 09:41:57 AM »
Squad of 38 Hurlers on the Cumann na mBun school development squad

2 hurlers from the Health

No other hurlers from all the other schools in Portlaoise Parish.
« Last post by Tyrdub on Today at 09:33:08 AM »
What club are you from Farset?

Farset is on the Springfield rd.. so I'm guessing either the Johnnies or Gorts  8)

Or Clonard????? lol
« Last post by HiMucker on Today at 09:24:41 AM »
I don't understand people. A no deal Brexit would be an unmitigated disaster not just for Britain but for Ireland and the EU. No sane person wants that and certainly I do not believe many voted for that. It's an entirely reasonable request for a compromise. After the abuse and smears continuosly directed at this man by the Tories I think it's quite reasonable to test whether May is just playing to the gallery or genuinely interested in finding a solution. She hasn't a genuine bone in her body. Despite being a Remain campaigner she seems perfectly happy to let Britain leave the EU with no deal in order to keep her position.

The face on May when Corbyn asked her to rule it out told the story. She was sick.

Of course everyone wants a deal. But if that is guaranteed on one side, the other can just sit back and wait until its terms are granted, or until, as Sid suggests, Article 50 is withdrawn. Its ludicrous.

The biggest issue has been giving parliament a vote on the deal - there are so many different factions that was always going to result in stalemate.

The only way I can see out of it is through a general election. Perhaps at that point labour will run on second referendum ticket. That isn't the golden bullet people seem to think it will be either however.

The problem in the first place was having the referendum.

The UK does not have a written constitution and has always operated on a system of parliamentary sovereignty, ie. that parliament decides.

The UK's first referendum was 1975, and 2016 was only the third ever.

In 1975, Margaret Thatcher was in fact one of the few people to warn of the dangers that introducing the concept of a referendum posed to British politics - that it introduced a hostile, rival system of lawmaking to the existing parliamentary system.

The constitutional difference between Ireland and the UK as regards referendums is as follows: Ireland has a written constitution - we have had many referendums, but they are always constitutional ones, and the options are always defined. We NEVER hold non-constitutional referendums. The UK held an advisory referendum with no status in law where one option was completely undefined.

My take on what people voted for when they voted for Brexit, is that they were voting to retain all the benefits of European Union membership, and none of the responsibilities.

They voted to stop immigration, yet have full free movement rights themselves.
They voted for the ability to make their own trade deals, yet have full access to the single market, and no budget obligations.

They voted to have full membership of the golf club, with full playing rights on the course, use of the gym, swimming pool and bar etc. for free.

Voting for Brexit was like voting for all taxes to be abolished yet public spending to simultaneously be quadrupled.

The EU says: "We can't offer you that - it is fundamentally undeliverable."

But the Brits say: "But that's what we voted for! Get on with it and give us what we want!"

The EU respond: "We can't. You are living in a la la land."

Brexit was fundamentally undeliverable because it was a fantasy idea based on deep seated ideas of Britain's "glorious" past. It was an attempt to magically transplant the past into the future. The Tory party gave in to these delusions. David Cameron, more than any one person, is responsible for this mess because he agreed to opening the door to it.

There's no silver bullet that will get Britain out of the mess it created for itself, only least worst options.

Vote for the deal that most people hate and which even pro-Brexiteers say is worse than EU membership, and nobody will be happy, and it would be hugely divisive.

Stumble into no deal, and it would be a disaster. Britain would be ripe for destruction by anarcho-capitalists.

A second referendum could still leave open the possibility of no deal and would be again incredibly divisive, with far right rhetoric poisoning public discourse.

Withdrawing Article 50 unilaterally would be incredibly divisive. It could easily lead to a rise of the far right. But so could all the other options, with no deal likely being the worst case in this regard.

So all options, are, frankly, shit.

But withdrawing Article 50 now looks like the least worst option, and it's an option that has become more likely.

The flipside is; no deal has also become more likely.
Thats a fairly accurate summary
GAA Discussion / Re: Sigerson 2019
« Last post by bloody mary on Today at 09:22:24 AM »
yes you did, and they had a red card and a black card just before the break which made the second-half a procession
Worked in an estate agents years ago, boy goes on the rip, wakes up, next thing the wifes in roarin like an eejit. Yer mans only went and put the house up for sale while hes been on the lash, big FOR SALE sign in the front garden

;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10