China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

thewobbler

He's a believer folks. If you're not 100% with him, then it can only be because you're an absolute moron.

Sadly, Rossfan's dogmatic crusade in confirmation bias is a hallmark of the modern world.

It's sad really. The internet was meant to educate and enlighten us.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thewobbler on September 29, 2020, 02:12:09 PM
He's a believer folks. If you're not 100% with him, then it can only be because you're an absolute moron.

Sadly, Rossfan's dogmatic crusade in confirmation bias is a hallmark of the modern world.

Probably could apply this to another 3 or 4 on this board.

sid waddell

The self pity mob are piling it on rich and thick this afternoon

Must be great to be a fake victim all the time

Saves having to debate  ;D

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on September 29, 2020, 02:12:09 PM

I know, and then you came along with your terminal inanity

Rossfan

Jases I put up a link to a real article from a real ( Indo....?) Newspaper about a real person who is suffering from a disease the WHO declared to be a pandemic.
And then the Cavalry come storming over the horizon.....
How very dare Ms Sheerin to have ongoing trouble following her illness.
Some of the Cavalry need to go round and sort her out.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

supersarsfields

Quote from: sid waddell on September 29, 2020, 02:26:41 PM
The self pity mob are piling it on rich and thick this afternoon

Must be great to be a fake victim all the time

Saves having to debate  ;D

Rossfan's posts aren't debating. He waits until someone else does the hard work like Hound above, and the rows in with a "witty" one liner belittling other posters rather than entering into the debate.

It's not a black or white issue. Levels of restrictions required are absolutely an area for discussion. I'd side on the viewpoint of being over cautious to prevent a soar in cases again, 100 % agree that masks should be worn etc. But I can also understand other factors being discussed such as economic impacts, impact on waiting lists, mental health etc. I don't think a blanket shut down of these discussions and accusing anyone who enters into these debates as being deniers helps in any way.

Edit** Or you have the above post. No one ever said that no one gets long term effects from covid. It's a typical straw man argument.

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 29, 2020, 12:31:18 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on September 29, 2020, 10:44:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 28, 2020, 04:08:24 PM
They are patrolling the Hals and if people are not adhering to the rules they'll let the students know of what's expected and if they still don't adhere to that then warnings will be given. I guess the approach of isolating a block rather than the whole place is a better option, the kids are being asked where they are going when they leave the grounds lol! 

On a floor you've 11 rooms, and kitchen sitting area, only 6 are allowed in at one time, and obviously no one is allowed into the dorms..

As Tyrdub has said some kids are taking the piss, imagine 18 year old's away from the house going a bit mad! My problem is why open the Halls and then have online lessons (which are pre recorded, not live) is it purely money?

I'd be happy to save myself a few quid and my daughter stay at home and do the lessons at home
You live in Belfast and your kid is staying in halls at QUB?

I have lived Jordanstown (15 minutes up the road  :-X ) for 20 odd years now, and she wants the 'student experience' whatever that is at the moment, I wasnt a student myself but certainly lived the student life back in the day!
Jesus didnt know that would be the done thing. Seems like more money than sense to me ;D. Hi but at least they are out of the house.

armaghniac

Quote from: HiMucker on September 29, 2020, 03:55:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 29, 2020, 12:31:18 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on September 29, 2020, 10:44:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 28, 2020, 04:08:24 PM
They are patrolling the Hals and if people are not adhering to the rules they'll let the students know of what's expected and if they still don't adhere to that then warnings will be given. I guess the approach of isolating a block rather than the whole place is a better option, the kids are being asked where they are going when they leave the grounds lol! 

On a floor you've 11 rooms, and kitchen sitting area, only 6 are allowed in at one time, and obviously no one is allowed into the dorms..

As Tyrdub has said some kids are taking the piss, imagine 18 year old's away from the house going a bit mad! My problem is why open the Halls and then have online lessons (which are pre recorded, not live) is it purely money?

I'd be happy to save myself a few quid and my daughter stay at home and do the lessons at home
You live in Belfast and your kid is staying in halls at QUB?

I have lived Jordanstown (15 minutes up the road  :-X ) for 20 odd years now, and she wants the 'student experience' whatever that is at the moment, I wasnt a student myself but certainly lived the student life back in the day!
Jesus didnt know that would be the done thing. Seems like more money than sense to me ;D. Hi but at least they are out of the house.

Its a pity there aren't any universities in Jordanstown or you'd save a fortune.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: supersarsfields on September 29, 2020, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 29, 2020, 01:34:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2020, 01:06:42 PM
Stop being negative Hound sure they're only statistics according to some geniuses!!

The whole basis for any scientific study is based on data & stats. It proves or dis-proves a theory based on populations of standard sampling. Your an annoying kind of fella, with your constant snide remarks. Very little substance to your posts.

I don't agree with you on Covid but 100% agree with this. Rossfan's attempt to shout down/ belittle people with different view points is seriously irritating. The Karen posts of a month or two back being prime examples.

I can post what I like on this forum once it's not libellous and tough titty if you get irritated by Connacht ways of putting things.

If the WORLD Health Organisation declares Covid a feckin pandemic causing 150 or more Governments and National Health Bodies to get worried and bring in all sorts of measures to combat it then I'm going to take them and it serious.
A few lads on GAAboard or the thousands of facebook "experts" don't cut much ice with me.

If I'm sick I'll go to the doctor, if I want my hair cut I'll go to the barber.
Now the barber may have loads of opinions on doctors, health hospitals etc but I'll still go to the doc if I'm sick.
Geologists tell us the World is 4 or 5 Billion years old. Edwin Poots says its 6,000 years old.
I will not be debating with Poots.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Nobody, not even me, has debated whether there is a pandemic.

But

1. What has arrived, in terms of its potency to kill, is not the same thing as what we were braced for.

2. Nobody, anywhere understands the long term impact on Covid on a previously healthy adult. There is no identifiable pattern yet. But we do know that if routine cancer testing is sidelined, it is going to set in motion a physically and mentally destructive cycle that will touch every community in Ireland and the UK.

3. If you cannot accept the above, you haven't been listening.

4.  If you can accept the above, then we possibly could do with our political leaders evaluating these circumstances with a broader focus than the opinions of epidemiologists, who by their very nature must urge caution in their area of expertise.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2020, 04:43:02 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on September 29, 2020, 01:47:24 PM
Quote from: Rudi on September 29, 2020, 01:34:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 29, 2020, 01:06:42 PM
Stop being negative Hound sure they're only statistics according to some geniuses!!

The whole basis for any scientific study is based on data & stats. It proves or dis-proves a theory based on populations of standard sampling. Your an annoying kind of fella, with your constant snide remarks. Very little substance to your posts.

I don't agree with you on Covid but 100% agree with this. Rossfan's attempt to shout down/ belittle people with different view points is seriously irritating. The Karen posts of a month or two back being prime examples.

I can post what I like on this forum once it's not libellous and tough titty if you get irritated by Connacht ways of putting things.

If the WORLD Health Organisation declares Covid a feckin pandemic causing 150 or more Governments and National Health Bodies to get worried and bring in all sorts of measures to combat it then I'm going to take them and it serious.
A few lads on GAAboard or the thousands of facebook "experts" don't cut much ice with me.

If I'm sick I'll go to the doctor, if I want my hair cut I'll go to the barber.
Now the barber may have loads of opinions on doctors, health hospitals etc but I'll still go to the doc if I'm sick.
Geologists tell us the World is 4 or 5 Billion years old. Edwin Poots says its 6,000 years old.
I will not be debating with Poots.
You can absolutely post what you want just as I can make comment on those posts.

I value the debate, when engaged by both sides. I don't value people who try to belittle others viewpoints and creating strawman arguments. It drags the content of the thread down, causes entrenchment of viewpoints and adds zero to it.

Anyway, I've said my piece.

thewobbler

By the way, right now I'd favour a complete, absolute bastard, shutdown for 1 month, starting immediately.

But this, I believe, can only work if all European governments do it together. That way no none of our main trading partners can benefit economically from staying open. If we all close together and open together, the impact of a recession could not be as severe. The money, the contracts, are largely paused for a month, rather than rerouted.

And then to go way back to the start of this thread: I now agree with RadioGAAGAA (if you can't change your mind when more facts are available, there is something wrong with you btw). Close all airports for domestic travel for as long as it takes. Given the choice of another year of the shite we are going through now, or a year of no travelling, it's an easy choice.

highorlow

Good to see a debate here, Denis Rancourt has a very interesting take on things here....fairly relevant to today's arguments amongst people here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=Rj3tDbY3gYk&feature=emb_title

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

five points

Quote from: thewobbler on September 29, 2020, 05:02:41 PM
By the way, right now I'd favour a complete, absolute bastard, shutdown for 1 month, starting immediately.

But this, I believe, can only work if all European governments do it together. That way no none of our main trading partners can benefit economically from staying open. If we all close together and open together, the impact of a recession could not be as severe. The money, the contracts, are largely paused for a month, rather than rerouted.

And then to go way back to the start of this thread: I now agree with RadioGAAGAA (if you can't change your mind when more facts are available, there is something wrong with you btw). Close all airports for domestic travel for as long as it takes. Given the choice of another year of the shite we are going through now, or a year of no travelling, it's an easy choice.

New Zealand tried that though and thought they had eradicated Covid in their territory. Only for it to come back.

And no matter how strictly you shut down, hospitals, nursing homes, ambulances, agriculture, perishable food processing and a hundred other things have to keep going, no matter what.  Which rather defeats the point.