What changes to Dublin team/squad this year can/should we expect??

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, January 02, 2008, 01:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

What can we hope for this year in order to improve us even further and hopefully help us make the Final and ideally beat Kerry in the final if possible???

Keeper - Obviously Cluxton will still be keeper so no change needed.....will Leonard get a runout as keeper in the league to get more experience?

Full back line - Obviously is likely to be the same as last year with McConnell having a full years experience - would like to see Shaughnessy/O'Shea getting runouts though in the league to keep in contention

Half back line - Not sure what will happen here but I would like to see Cahill, Brennan, Moran as the half back line....bring Moran back to wingback and put Brennan in as centreback...a more defensive centre back than Cullen...keep Casey and possibly Paul Brogan as options for wingback...

Centrefield - Whelan/Ryan/Magee will be the first 3 and would be good if O'Mahoney gets an injury free season and gets a good runout in the league...

Half forwards - Brogan, Cullen, Lally, Connolly, Pat Burke, Sherlock should all get runouts in the league

Full forwards - Vaughan, Keaney, Brogan, Quinn, Bonnar (if allowed), Barry Kennedy, Kevin Leahy should all get runouts in the league

Cullen able to drop back to provide a spare man in the halfbacks without having the man-marking duties if required....Cahill I think better on the right and Moran a good passer from left halfback...

Championship team if all goes well

Cluxton

Henry, McConnell, Griffen

Cahill, Brennan, Moran

Whelan, Ryan

Brogan, Cullen ,Connolly

Brogan, Keaney, Vaughen

Leonard, Shocko, O'Shea, Casey, O'Mahony, Magee, Sherlock, Quinn, Kennedy, Lally, Bonner, Burke, Leahy

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mannix

Still not good enough to beat the best. Until they start importing lads they are also rans for sam.

INDIANA

coming from a corkman  considering the state of your sorry outfit that's quite something.

Keeper: Michael Savage to give Cluxton a serious challenge for his money.

Full Back line: In serious trouble here - no natural full back and Griffin is gone and probably won't be back till next season. Only Shaugnessy offers a viable alternative other than that we're screwed.

Half Back line: could field 3 half back lines of equal standard. I don't believe this mangement will move Cullen to number 11. Expect Casey to be ousted by Brennan.

Midfield : 2 from the 3 named by DSFM - with Whelan and Ryan as good as anything out there

Half Forward Line: The other problem zone as I call it. Cullen may play at 11. Connolly needs a serious change in attitude to make the adjustment this season. the best forward by a mile in the county but no application and i don't expect him to start come championship time- maybe 2 years down the line when he matures. Bernard Brogan will get one slot - with either Bonner/Moran the number 10 slot. Lally if used his head more could make the number 10 his own but this management don't fancy him. Pat Burke is a number 11 but again i don't think this mangement will pick him. Garret Smith would be wortha  look but again this management won't.

Full forward line: vaughan/keaney/alan brogan would be my optimum. But with the lack of half forwards expect brogan to be pushed to 11 with either Quinn/Sherlock starting. Need to see more from Vaughan from play - again i'm sure he's anywhere near as fit as he could be. Paddy Andrews needs to be looked at in my view. Excellent in the county championship and has a far bit of muscle for a young lad. Leahy and Kennedy will get a run in the O Byrne cup to see where they are. After that maybe the league if they do well.

Believe we'll fall slightly short again but i'd expect us to win leinster again but that's means f*** all to us at this stage. But if Kerry drop 10-15% we may have a chance.

his holiness nb

Connolly the best in the county by a mile???

The guy has potential ok but anytime I have seen him (except last years O'Byrne cup) for both club and county I have been dissapointed. Yes he may well get there, but he aint near the best.
Ask me holy bollix

INDIANA

easily the most naturally gifted forward in 20 years in the county- nobody kicks from 40-45 yards off both feet in the county - he does in his sleep- i don't say any of that lightly as i'm a cynic by nature. Just doesn't have the application - hopefully he'll mature over the next couple of years. But he won't make anywhere near the impact he could make until his attitude changes..if it does. and because of that i don't think he'll start.

lynchbhoy

doubt very much if Caffrey will make too many changes.
Could see the team listed by DFS as being the one that starts the championship.

Its not the one I'd pick, but I am sure we all have our own opinions on our starting 15.

Will be interesting to see if Ger Brennan has the pace for intercounty. Brilliant at club level, but people have doubts on whether he can step up.
Might be too loose at CHB like cullen for intercounty, but if pace doesnt get him, then a wing half back position might suit him (and Dublins gameplan) better esp with Cahill to go CHB.
Also have been touting Moran to wing half back.
A lot of decent forwards, need to pick the best mix and the attacking style to suit them.

his holiness nb

Yes he can kick from 40-45 yards off both feet, but from what I have seen, the problem is most of these are going wide  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

INDIANA

well i wouldn't agree with that he's been absolutely brilliant at times for vincents this year - a different class and then other days -shite. Same for Dublin and that's because of the lack of application- if he ever decided to apply himself- there is no limit to how far he could go but whether he will remians to be seen. And it's a huge pity for Dublin because with him in full form we'd win the all-ireland.

tayto

Connolly lurches from the sublime one match to below average the next, suppose he's the type of player that tries things so they wont always come off but he needs to get a level of consistency to his game.

The Real Laoislad

Biggest change i think they need to make and this is not a dig it's the truth in my opnion is for them to stop acting the mick with Hill 16 with all their saluting them and marching towards them as one before the match,If they put the same effort they put into courting the Hill onto the pitch during a match instead they would have a great chance of winning a All Ireland
You'll Never Walk Alone.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on January 02, 2008, 10:17:42 AM
well i wouldn't agree with that he's been absolutely brilliant at times for vincents this year - a different class and then other days -shite. Same for Dublin and that's because of the lack of application- if he ever decided to apply himself- there is no limit to how far he could go but whether he will remians to be seen. And it's a huge pity for Dublin because with him in full form we'd win the all-ireland.

don't think its at full forwad that you have the problem Indiana you have a pretty good one there in Keaney
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

lynchbhoy

Connolly has great potential.
Doesnt help him when he is moved into different positions all the time to firefight problems in various games.
Needs some kind of continuity both with Vincents and Dublin.
He is still young and very grean and has a lot to learn yet, so I dont think its fair to criticise him too much.

Plus he's a dual player which makes it all the more difficult.

I would like to see Shane Ryan tried at CHB or even Full back.