Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: Gold on September 17, 2021, 12:33:22 AM
Was listening to a few Tyorne players talking about 'culture' and a culture of winning.

Got me thinking about us and Casement and how we've performed there and how few big games we've ever won. Have we won just 2 senior Ulster championship GAMES in 40 years there?

Am I wrong in thinking that our last Ulster football championship win there was 2003 v Cavan?

Our last u-21 championship win at Casement was v Armagh in 2003

Our last Minor championship win there was v Donegal in 1998??

If we don't win at underage we most likely won't win at senior...what do we do?

What about the hurlers?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Gold on September 17, 2021, 12:33:22 AM
Was listening to a few Tyorne players talking about 'culture' and a culture of winning.

Got me thinking about us and Casement and how we've performed there and how few big games we've ever won. Have we won just 2 senior Ulster championship GAMES in 40 years there?

Am I wrong in thinking that our last Ulster football championship win there was 2003 v Cavan?

Our last u-21 championship win at Casement was v Armagh in 2003

Our last Minor championship win there was v Donegal in 1998??

If we don't win at underage we most likely won't win at senior...what do we do?

Your clubs arent strong enough(football). Fullstop.

imtommygunn

In football or in hurling? (Or both?)

NAG1

Wonder would someone be good enough to take one player from that Tyrone team, pretty sure you could take any one of them.

Plot their journey from under age, the whole way through development squads, schools systems, college systems, finally into minor/ u20/ senior squads.

Track the amount of time spent on them at each of these stages by quality interventions, see the money it has taken to get them through the system to the All Ireland final day, track the man hours it has taken and the support around this system.

If you do that for one single player you will start to have an idea why we are so far behind and will continue to be so until the gap is addressed at all levels.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 17, 2021, 10:27:38 AM
In football or in hurling? (Or both?)

Football-hurling has massive potential

Gold

Quote from: NAG1 on September 17, 2021, 10:29:35 AM
Wonder would someone be good enough to take one player from that Tyrone team, pretty sure you could take any one of them.

Plot their journey from under age, the whole way through development squads, schools systems, college systems, finally into minor/ u20/ senior squads.

Track the amount of time spent on them at each of these stages by quality interventions, see the money it has taken to get them through the system to the All Ireland final day, track the man hours it has taken and the support around this system.

If you do that for one single player you will start to have an idea why we are so far behind and will continue to be so until the gap is addressed at all levels.

Yeah...would be very interesting to see

Take Tyrone though....the whole county, Man, woman and child know when they have a game. They defend their county to the hilt on any issue and see their football team as an extension of themselves,  as defining them

We don't have that at all, nowhere near the gra. We forever are begging our best players to commit and play for us (Winker, Fitzsimmons in football etc).

Been refreshing to have the buy in (which should be the expected) of the best hurlers in the county this year

I hope their is a  change to the norm with the appointment of  G Adams in football and gaelfast but time will tell

Gold

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 18, 2021, 12:01:47 AM
Quote from: Gold on September 17, 2021, 11:58:04 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 17, 2021, 10:29:35 AM

Yeah...would be very interesting to see

Take Tyrone though....the whole county, Man, woman and child know when they have a game. They defend their county to the hilt on any issue and see their football team as an extension of themselves,  as defining them

We don't have that at all, nowhere near the gra. We forever are begging our best players to commit and play for us (Winker, Fitzsimmons in football etc).

Been refreshing to have the buy in (which should be the expected) of the best hurlers in the county this year

I hope their is a  change to the norm with the appointment of  G Adams in football and gaelfast but time will tell
Sometimes we don't even know our best players' names.

:D Frank still has a few good years left in him....

Saffrongael

Some comeback by Loughguile against Glenariffe to win U-17 final in Armoy, 7 down with 5 to go. Levelled to force extra time and then won by a point AET. ET hard going for players that age but both teams a credit.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Jonkunlon

8 down they were.

10 minutes of injury time!!!!.

Telling players to stay down will come back to haunt the losing team's line for years. The referee called their bluff. Take a bow Mr Tumelty. The 3 officials wisely consulted on the added time.

keep her low this half

Quote from: Jonkunlon on September 18, 2021, 07:52:57 PM
8 down they were.

10 minutes of injury time!!!!.

Telling players to stay down will come back to haunt the losing team's line for years. The referee called their bluff. Take a bow Mr Tumelty. The 3 officials wisely consulted on the added time.

Glenariffe will be kicking themselves, having said that 10 minutes of injury time was nonsense. 5-6 would have been plenty. Yes Glenariffe were rolling about and milking it but 10 minutes was ridiculous. And he kept giving loughgiel chances. They hit a wide on 68 minutes and he still didn't blow. If I was from Glenariffe I would be very annoyed.
As for the match itself Glenariffe started like a train and were good value for their halftime lead. They went out of it in the second half for long periods and were unable to get the ball into their dangerous full forward line, When they did get the ball in they scored their third goal which appeared to seal the win. All the time Loughgiel were wasting goal chances at the other end. I counted 4 missed goal opportunities from Loughgiel in the second half although Glenariffes keeper, full back and number 4 deserve a lot of credit for this. Eventually as time kept going Glenariffe got sucked closer and closer to goal and the inevitable happened.
Overall Loughgiels half back line were very good after an early substitution even when Loughgiel were playing poorly, their number 6 was excellent throughout and played a real captains part. It was a good clean game of hurling throughout so credit to all involved for that, shame about the timekeeping controversy as it overshadowed a really good game.

Jonkunlon

The game was of poor standard. Very flat and little atmosphere due to the quality of hurling. Low in clean catching, low in clean striking and low in efficient passing. Can't remember a time when I watched so many  wides or strikes that fell short in a minor final. Possibly the change to younger ages having this effect??

The excitement was saved for those crazy 10 minutes. I agree, it was too much time.

A referee can't create chances for a team, they do that themselves. That might not be the greatest Loughiel minor team in the world but they dug very deep to salvage that game.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Jonkunlon on September 18, 2021, 08:44:21 PM
The game was of poor standard. Very flat and little atmosphere due to the quality of hurling. Low in clean catching, low in clean striking and low in efficient passing. Can't remember a time when I watched so many  wides or strikes that fell short in a minor final. Possibly the change to younger ages having this effect??

The excitement was saved for those crazy 10 minutes. I agree, it was too much time.

A referee can't create chances for a team, they do that themselves. That might not be the greatest Loughiel minor team in the world but they dug very deep to salvage that game.

There are 15 & 16 year olds playing, Probably first time a lot played on such a stage. Not sure what you were expecting. A Limerick type performance ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 18, 2021, 09:42:43 PM

There are 15 & 16 year olds playing, Probably first time a lot played on such a stage. Not sure what you were expecting. A Limerick type performance ?

Lol.

Jonkunlon

Quote from: Saffrongael on September 18, 2021, 09:42:43 PM

My point was simple enough I thought. Was a poor standard of game for a minor final. Much lower standard than the last 4 or 5 years. Did you think the standard was high? If so, which aspects?

Saffrongael