Historic goals:point ratios in championship hurling

Started by Eamonnca1, May 09, 2011, 07:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

This was just posted on wikipedia, which I thought was interesting:

seafoid

How does it look vs the S&P 500 with dividends reinvested?

Bord na Mona man

If the sliotar was made a bit heavier, the ratio would become closer.
Hurling has probably become a little too high scoring, where these days most players who get a bit of space 70 metres out can pop it over. The amount of goals and goalmouth has reduced because of this.

If teams had to to work the heavier ball a bit closer it would increase the amount of time the ball is in play and make players have to use possession more thoughtfully.

At the moment the action goes something like: puckout, bit of a tussle, ball breaks, beng (as Cyril would say) over the bar, puckout....

Eamonnca1

Would it not hurt like hell when you catch it if you made the sliothar heavier? It hurts enough as it is, you wouldn't want boys breaking bones in their hands with a catch. I wonder if there's some other way you could slow the ball down, maybe aerodynamically or something.  Scuff the surface up a bit, that would have the added effect of making it curve more in the air.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 09, 2011, 11:14:21 PM
Hurling has probably become a little too high scoring, where these days most players who get a bit of space 70 metres out can pop it over. The amount of goals and goalmouth has reduced because of this.

If teams had to to work the heavier ball a bit closer it would increase the amount of time the ball is in play and make players have to use possession more thoughtfully.

At the moment the action goes something like: puckout, bit of a tussle, ball breaks, beng (as Cyril would say) over the bar, puckout....

There's nothing like a point flying over from 70 yards out, Seanie McMahon style , like

johnneycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 09, 2011, 11:14:21 PM

With the way Davy fitz lines out his Waterford team, i.e. packing the defence, then there's less likelihood of goals being scored either by Waterford or the opposition.

Certainly the ball being made a bit heavier would reduce the ability to put a point over the bar from 70 to 80 yards, but I think this would encourage more swarm defending and would ultimately be bad for the game.

Lecale2

Make a goal worth 5 points to reflect the effort required to score one.

pullhard

the ball may be a bit lighter, than it was back in the day. But the fellas playing the game are much stronger and the design of the hurls have changed. There is not a thing wrong with the game of hurlings scoring system. As for Eamons point about sore hands, this is a joke right? You must be a footballer? or atleast an armchair one.

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 09, 2011, 11:19:14 PM
Would it not hurt like hell when you catch it if you made the sliothar heavier? It hurts enough as it is, you wouldn't want boys breaking bones in their hands with a catch. I wonder if there's some other way you could slow the ball down, maybe aerodynamically or something. Scuff the surface up a bit, that would have the added effect of making it curve more in the air.

We could fit a parachute to the sliothar so it would land gently in the palm of the hand. This would have another bonus of drastically reducing the distance you could strike the ball so it would encourage more of a running game.

Barring that we could cover it with feathers.

MWWSI 2017

pullhard

Quote from: muppet on May 11, 2011, 03:56:40 PM
Would it not hurt like hell when you catch it if you made the sliothar heavier? It hurts enough as it is, you wouldn't want boys breaking bones in their hands with a catch. I wonder if there's some other way you could slow the ball down, maybe aerodynamically or something. Scuff the surface up a bit, that would have the added effect of making it curve more in the air.

We could fit a parachute to the sliothar so it would land gently in the palm of the hand. This would have another bonus of drastically reducing the distance you could strike the ball so it would encourage more of a running game.

done be so daft! we should do away with stick and make the ball bigger

johnneycool

Quote from: pullhard on May 11, 2011, 04:11:06 PM

done be so daft! we should do away with stick and make the bigger

My head hurts trying to read that!

seafoid

I think it was here that I read one time that hurling is for piano tuners and fuball is for piano removers 

Eamonnca1

I played football in school and my hurling career was very brief, only a few years.  So yes, you can put me down as an 'armchair' fan and you'll have to forgive me if I ask the odd stupid question.