Allianz Hurling League 2011 - Roinn 1

Started by Bord na Mona man, February 10, 2011, 08:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on May 02, 2011, 07:49:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2011, 07:27:23 PM
Yeah no doubt Offaly will be relishing the fact that Dublin are the league winners after beating Kilkenny at Headquarters. Offaly will be going into the game knowing they have no inferiority complex with Dublin and think at any time they should be beating Dublin, Antrim have it and so do a lot of other teams.

Dublin will have to apply the same effort to every match otherwise they will get beat. But watching them and hearing the speech afterwards, Dublin seemed to have matured a bit. They are certainly a decent team and in the top 5 at the minute. If they really turn it on then who knows, on their day they can and have this season, beaten the main teams (bar Galway).

I watched them in Croke (thanks again Bud Wiser) against Tipp and they were at a good level then. Would be strange heading to Croke this September seeing Dublin lining out for an All Ireland, in hurling ;)

If that were the case I'd need to get my request for tickets in early (Bud)

It's not just a question of Dublin keeping up that level of an effort. It's the case of their opposition upping theirs. What we saw from Dublin is probably as much as they can give. But all the other teams have more to give. More gears to go to.

They did very well to get to where they've gotten but I wouldn't be buying my final ticket yet.

Dont be worrying about us Reillers. Just keep an eye on Cork.

Reillers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2011, 08:01:40 PM
Yeah no doubt Offaly will be relishing the fact that Dublin are the league winners after beating Kilkenny at Headquarters. Offaly will be going into the game knowing they have no inferiority complex with Dublin and think at any time they should be beating Dublin, Antrim have it and so do a lot of other teams.

Dublin will have to apply the same effort to every match otherwise they will get beat. But watching them and hearing the speech afterwards, Dublin seemed to have matured a bit. They are certainly a decent team and in the top 5 at the minute. If they really turn it on then who knows, on their day they can and have this season, beaten the main teams (bar Galway).

I watched them in Croke (thanks again Bud Wiser) against Tipp and they were at a good level then. Would be strange heading to Croke this September seeing Dublin lining out for an All Ireland, in hurling ;)

It's not just a question of Dublin keeping up that level of an effort. It's the case of their opposition upping theirs. What we saw from Dublin is probably as much as they can give. But all the other teams have more to give. More gears to go to.

They did very well to get to where they've gotten but I wouldn't be buying my final ticket yet.

obviously we can only go on what we have seen so far, and to be fair any team that beats Cork in Cork can be considered a decent team, last team to do that in Championship was Tipp and they went on to win the All Ireland.

With another few weeks of training, challenge matches and with a couple of players still to come back from injury Dublin still have ability to improve. I think Daly will have learnt from last year (against us) that you need to have a high tempo for all games. Kilkenny may win Leinster this year and Dublin will have to take the longer route, but if Dublin won Leinster then I think they could get into a All Ireland final. by doing so they will have to beat Galway and Kilkenny plus a strong semi final team. That would be some feat, Possibly a bit early to do that

Cork weren't great that day, too many wides, and with an experimental team as sorts, Dublin have their championship team set out.
Which is great for them. Cork, yet again, are unsettled.

I think with Dublin, they have given all they have against Kilkenny.
But the other teams will be able to up their level, to go to another gear that Dublin don't have yet.

I think Dublin will do well enough, but I can't see them getting past a quarter final, semi final at the very most.
Probably a bit too early.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on May 02, 2011, 08:19:31 PM

obviously we can only go on what we have seen so far, and to be fair any team that beats Cork in Cork can be considered a decent team, last team to do that in Championship was Tipp and they went on to win the All Ireland.

With another few weeks of training, challenge matches and with a couple of players still to come back from injury Dublin still have ability to improve. I think Daly will have learnt from last year (against us) that you need to have a high tempo for all games. Kilkenny may win Leinster this year and Dublin will have to take the longer route, but if Dublin won Leinster then I think they could get into a All Ireland final. by doing so they will have to beat Galway and Kilkenny plus a strong semi final team. That would be some feat, Possibly a bit early to do that

Cork weren't great that day, too many wides, and with an experimental team as sorts, Dublin have their championship team set out.

But the other teams will be able to up their level, to go to another gear that Dublin don't have yet.

I think Dublin will do well enough, but I can't see them getting past a quarter final, semi final at the very most.

In Reillersland has there ever been a game at any level where Cork lost where they weren't second best, and instead it was combination of bad luck/Frank Murphy/refs/lack of motivation/too much motivation etc?

Will you not answer my question in Reillersland how many points better are Cork than Dublin??

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on May 02, 2011, 08:46:29 PM
Quote from: Reillers on May 02, 2011, 08:19:31 PM

In Reillersland has there ever been a game at any level where Cork lost where they weren't second best, and instead it was combination of bad luck/Frank Murphy/refs/lack of motivation/too much motivation etc?

Will you not answer my question in Reillersland how many points better are Cork than Dublin??

I don't know what the score would be in a Cork Dub game. The way we're going I wouldn't presume anything.

In "Heffoland" where wumming is second nature.
Cork were second best, they were not good at all that day, hit too many wides..all of which I said. But like the wum you are, you just carry on. 

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross matt on May 02, 2011, 02:29:43 AM
Congrats Dublin. Daly is an excellent manager. His time with Clare (when they were bereft of natural talent) should be taken in to perspective now. Loughnane gave him a very hard time in the media back then.
I think thats a bit generous, he is a good manager but he made a total hames of the clare job, biggest mistake was timing, he was far too loyal to the older players he pleyed with, when the winning minors of 98 were in their prime not getting any game time, and as the management he wasnt ruthless enough to drop the old heads, then younger talent fell away waiting in the wings. Ended up nearly putting clare back in the dark ages that lack of vision of daly.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Longstanding shite rearing its old head aswell after Reillers correctly imo said KK priority is championship not league, and the Dubs have a long way to go yet to match them in the heat of championship, the gap is closing but KK were missing alot of players yday and dont have strength in depth which is good thing. Dublin still have awful lot to prove after falling away badly last yr.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bud Wiser

Quotebut KK were missing alot of players yday and dont have strength in depth which is good thing
How many players were they missing on Saturday 2nd April apart from Shefflin and only for Dubs shot 18 wides it might have been a win instead of a draw ? Last year even I was saying myself that Cats could field two teams and right now as far as I can see they can't even field a full back and its not Noel Hickeys fault  because nobody has served his county more than that man but when he slipped to allow the goal against Tipp in the AIF people were quick to forget that. Dotsie outpaced Hickey on 2nd April and so, he was switched to corner back.  It's the same with Shefflin and Tommy Walsh and even Cody in tonights paper admits that "he wouldn't be doing his job properly if he just wrote off yesterdays events" 

The other thing is, what Daly did in Clare is long past history. Managers learn as well as coaches and Daly is one of the best around.  Didn't Loughnane say he would manage Galway to an All-Ireland in one year and definitely in two - after being critical of Daly and then ended up iin such a state of confusion that he started shooting oil cans off gate posts pretending they were a certain padres head for jaysus sake so because Daly did not play or played a certain player years ago has little to do with what is happening today in the bigger scheme of things.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 02, 2011, 09:57:36 PM
Quotebut KK were missing alot of players yday and dont have strength in depth which is good thing
How many players were they missing on Saturday 2nd April apart from Shefflin and only for Dubs shot 18 wides it might have been a win instead of a draw ? Last year even I was saying myself that Cats could field two teams and right now as far as I can see they can't even field a full back and its not Noel Hickeys fault  because nobody has served his county more than that man but when he slipped to allow the goal against Tipp in the AIF people were quick to forget that. Dotsie outpaced Hickey on 2nd April and so, he was switched to corner back.  It's the same with Shefflin and Tommy Walsh and even Cody in tonights paper admits that "he wouldn't be doing his job properly if he just wrote off yesterdays events" 

The other thing is, what Daly did in Clare is long past history. Managers learn as well as coaches and Daly is one of the best around.  Didn't Loughnane say he would manage Galway to an All-Ireland in one year and definitely in two - after being critical of Daly and then ended up iin such a state of confusion that he started shooting oil cans off gate posts pretending they were a certain padres head for jaysus sake so because Daly did not play or played a certain player years ago has little to do with what is happening today in the bigger scheme of things.

Were they not missing Tennyson, Shefflin, Power, Walsh, JJ, and Fennelly?

Tatler Jack

QuoteAnd hurleys, for the love of god please use hurley not "hurl".

Either is correct. As Gaeilge the hurling  sticks were either called camáns (usually translated as  a hurley) or an iomáin (usually called a "Hurl").  I think there was some variation in the shape of the stick – hence the different names.

Down here in Cork they tend to think that those who call it a hurl are fellows from "up the country" who cannot pronounce "hurley"!!!  W'ere a  bit grand down here!!

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 02, 2011, 11:06:56 PM
QuoteAnd hurleys, for the love of god please use hurley not "hurl".

Either is correct. As Gaeilge the hurling  sticks were either called camáns (usually translated as  a hurley) or an iomáin (usually called a "Hurl").  I think there was some variation in the shape of the stick – hence the different names.

Down here in Cork they tend to think that those who call it a hurl are fellows from "up the country" who cannot pronounce "hurley"!!!  W'ere a  bit grand down here!!

I know, but I fuckin hate it.

Tatler Jack

Hurl is probably more correct

Hurl: early 13c., hurlen, probably related to Low Ger. hurreln "to throw, to dash," and E.Fris. hurreln "to roar, to bluster." OED suggests all are from onomatopoeic *hurr "expressing rapid motion;" see also hurry. The noun is attested from late 14c.

Hurling: verbal noun of hurl (q.v.); attested 1520s as a form of hockey played in Ireland;

Just call it a camán!!! I bhfad níos fearr!

Bud Wiser

Well if ye are both from Cork why not call them "Lorgas" as in Irish for Club of the Fred Flinstone/Britvic Add type, or maybe cruca na slashanna or whatever is the Irish for slash hooks, or even pokers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-I3QoDVes&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyDkUz0_9pk&feature=related
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Reillers

Quote from: Bud Wiser on May 03, 2011, 12:24:13 AM
Well if ye are both from Cork why not call them "Lorgas" as in Irish for Club of the Fred Flinstone/Britvic Add type, or maybe cruca na slashanna or whatever is the Irish for slash hooks, or even pokers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-I3QoDVes&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyDkUz0_9pk&feature=related

A bit like this so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcWl9-HY8Q

nrico2006

Quote from: Reillers on May 02, 2011, 10:12:40 PM

Was JJ not playing on Sunday?  Dublin were missing players too. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heffo

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 03, 2011, 09:07:33 AM
Quote from: Reillers on May 02, 2011, 10:12:40 PM

Was JJ not playing on Sunday?  Dublin were missing players too.

JJ played in Croke Park Sunday - not in Reillersland though.