Tyrone v Monaghan, Sun 20th May, Healy Park

Started by tyroneman, April 04, 2018, 06:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Super game of ball. Very impressed with Monaghan after Tyrone equalised. 5 points in short time fair play good side. Both teams should make last 8.

Jinxy

Rory Beggan vs. Bryan Sheehan.
Who kicks it further?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Nanderson

Quote from: Jinxy on May 20, 2018, 09:48:54 PM
Rory Beggan vs. Bryan Sheehan.
Who kicks it further?

I'd say beggan. Sheehan always seems to put a lot of force into his kicks whereas beggan just walks up and strokes it over which is perhaps a better technique. I don't think we have even seen the limit of Beggan's kick yet.

Main Street

Rory kicks it further effortlessly, what he has gained this year is greater accuracy.

Jinxy

Yeah, Sheehan seems to 'loft' his kicks more.
Beggan just drives the ball.

omagh_gael

No complaints whatsoever. Monaghan have the star quality in McManus and Beggan. I have to say Beggan especially was immense. Probably up there with Cluxton now as best keeper in Ireland. He was so assured in defence and basically meant Monaghan could push higher up the pitch as he swept up so well. His distribution is first class, too.

However, there's not much else you can say about his freetaking than "wow!" Marty Clarke hit the nail on the head when talking about giving away a 45 being, more or less, a gimme. He hit one from about 50 yards out with the outside of his boot that moved right to left over the black spot. I don't think I've seen a free kick hit with that direction of spin! Usually all free takers kick off the instep curling left to right.

Monaghan will walk Ulster from my point of view. Don't think Donegal will be fit for them.

From our point of view im kind of at a loss. Rewatched the match there and there wasn't a pile we did wrong. Very little wides, good accuracy from frees and defended pretty well too. We just met a stronger team on the day. I think a wee run in backdoor could get us up to speed for super 8s. Maybe Harte's master plan is to go through the back door to get into the Munster/Connaght side of the draw to avoid the dubs until Semi/final! ;)

RedHand88

Anyone who says that wasn't a top top game after watching the scores compilation just doesn't like Gaelic football.

redzone

We were poor on the day but credit to Monaghan who deserved. Who knows we may meet again before the year is out. Could work out well for us in the long run

Jinxy

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 20, 2018, 09:59:32 PM
Anyone who says that wasn't a top top game after watching the scores compilation just doesn't like Gaelic football.

https://twitter.com/JoeBrolly1993/status/998271113498124289
;)

rrhf

I'd agree with a fair bit of the Sunday game panel tonight. Monaghan were the superior side today and fully deserved their win although Tyrone didn't put that ball into the forward line at the right time. Mc Ali'skey was immense for Tyrone but between a few injured lads who shouldn't have started and a structure that is flawed I think Tyrone have more room for improvement and will likely improve as they go further.

Schkite

Super game. After the goal we always seemed to just keep Tyrone at bay and yet couldn't shake them off at the same time. The reaction when they did draw level around 65 minutes was very encoruaging - we seemed to up it a gear and hit the next 5 points, and the consolation goal was irrelevant when it did come at the death.

Some very good performances across the team - as mentioned Beggan and McManus will make the headlines - but at the same time you'd feel there's alot more to come from others. The competitive nature of the squad now should mean that nobody will be getting too comfortable in their position.

Beggan has always had the distance - remember the free he scored in a league game against Dublin a few years ago that was almost at the 65 - but he's definitely improved on his accuracy and consistency. A great weapon to have.

skeog

First time that a player seemed to rebuke MH publically heat of the moment stuff.Ronan didnt see any ball in fairness will we see him again?

redzone

Quote from: skeog on May 20, 2018, 10:05:41 PM
First time that a player  seemed to rebuke MH publically heat of the moment stuff.Ronan didnt see any ball in fairness will we seehim again?

Hopefully not. A passenger at club level never mind this level. Massive mistake to start coly and tiernan who clearly weren't fit, added to Brennan's hamstring injury and sparky going off early on it was just to much. We actually did well to stay with them

trileacman

Fair play Monaghan. The better team, good plan, good players. They've two weaknesses. Drew Wylie is done. Harrison and now Mc aliskey have taken him to the cleaners. What's the story with D Hughes? Wasn't his hugely effective self, looked like colly cav - not match fit or sharp. K Hughes was immense, gave Hampsey a tight game. You need to do something about drew if you're to go down and beat mayo, Dublin and Kerry which I hope you do. Congratulations on a real good spirited game too with the only exception being the sledging of Peter Harte by Monaghan players and Morgan's dangerous lunge. Minor enough infringements in the grand scheme of Ulster championship football.

Really impressed by the lack of play acting by either side. Plenty of flashpoints but most men hopped up to their feet after hits that would have left Galway men rolling up the pitch.

Mixed bag for Tyrone. Obviously we're playing a more expansive game plan and there was some great ball fed into Brennan who won them all but was reluctant, after his block to face his man and take him on. Mc Aliskey had his best Tyrone performance in 3 years. Mc namee in great form, actually had Mc manus in his pocket for for 70 mins till he cut loose in the last 5. He'll not face too many forwards of that calibre going forward in the championship. Hampsey is able for the cut and thrust of championship and it was good to see Hugh pat back in the mix. Nullified Mc carrons big influence on the game in the last 20 mins. Sparky had seen a world of ball until his injury, he was very unlucky. Full back and full forward lines were untypically adept today.

Middle third was a shit show with the exception of Mc cann and Donnelly who intercepted their fair share. Monaghan squeezed the middle 3rd with their typical physical presence. Colly, sludden, Mc Shane had limited effect on proceedings. Pete was a no show, should have been first to be called ashore. Conal and Ron were a disgrace, would have faired better with 14 men, Mc Clure again huffed and puffed to no great effectiveness. Morgan was the worst, religiously costs us 1-2 points a game with ineffective kick outs or septic attempts at free taking, a liability long before today and it's high time o Neill got a solid run in nets, he couldn't be any worse.

Ulster champs are in a super 8 group with Dublin so might be no loss this year to relinquish an Ulster title. A few handy draws against the minnows may bring colly and Mc cann back into match sharpness and allow Brennan and Mc aliskey build confidence by running up scores against teams who believe they belong in a b championship. With Dublin, galway, Monaghan and Kerry to come through the front door there's no sharks in the qualifiers.

Bring it on.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Schkite

Quote from: trileacman on May 20, 2018, 10:12:08 PM
Fair play Monaghan. The better team, good plan, good players. They've two weaknesses. Drew Wylie is done. Harrison and now Mc aliskey have taken him to the cleaners. What's the story with D Hughes? Wasn't his hugely effective self, looked like colly cav - not match fit or sharp. K Hughes was immense, gave Hampsey a tight game. You need to do something about drew if you're to go down and beat mayo, Dublin and Kerry which I hope you do

Re: your first point, Drew won't be full back once Conor Boyle comes back in, he'll be at CHB where he's looked better this year