Is it finally time to tax our Lycra clad cyclists ?

Started by highorlow, July 29, 2017, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: thewobbler on July 31, 2017, 10:17:40 PM
It's a tad condescending to suggest that motorists don't understand how vulnerable cyclists are.

Motorists face a similar situation every day in that there are HGVs and buses on the road, and if you happen to run into one, it's game over. Hence we (almost) all give them a little bit more room and leeway. We all use our feet from time to time as well and there's genuinely not many people who take a risk when walking (or jogging) in a busy road system.

From my observations, those that are drawn to cycling - especially those who need lycra to cycle - seem to have a deficiency in this department. It takes a pecualiar personality to want to put your life at risk to ensure that others are inconvenienced for your pleasure.

Part of this festers from the pack mentality of getting involved in a sport, but I do believe most of it is a personality trait, which in any other situation could be described politely as a selfish disregard for others.

----

It's not practical to force cyclists to be insured. But it is becoming necessary that their actions and behaviours on the road are assessed, and if needs be punished, in line with all other road users.

Nailed it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on July 31, 2017, 10:39:43 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 31, 2017, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 31, 2017, 09:54:31 PM
An asshole is an asshole wether he's on a bike or in a car and he'll generally act accordingly. As someone who rides a lot of solo miles I find threads like these (& the daily Facebook rants) very unnerving. Motorists (who don't cycle) have no idea how vulnerable a cyclist is, I have been down a few times in crashes & icey conditions and I know how painful it can be, I dread to think what a motor vehicle could do to me.

Group riding is a fact of life these days and motorists are going to have to get over themselves. It really is no different than overtaking a Lorry or the likes.

Regarding the opening post, taxing cyclists won't change behaviour. I can see a day when a chip system that might be the equivalent of a number plate will come to pass.  I already pay £80 odd annually for my cycling licence anyway - as well as my car tax, income tax & national insurance contributions.
Not this again. When a mass group of cyclists can move at the same speed as a lorry I'll stop moaning about them.

There is room for everyone on the road and I always overtake lone cyclists on the opposite side of the road as if it was a car. They arent the problem. It's the idiots who allow a build-up of traffic on busy roads who need to be sanctioned. Motorists in the south pull aside to allow faster traffic to pass, tractors (sometimes, the pricks!) aside to let faster moving traffic pass. Why can large groups of cyclists not have the same level of civility?
Just pull over every 2 minutes?

Surely a slow moving bunch of cyclists is easier to overtake than a lorry? I don't understand that logic?
As practically everyone has said above that is correct in theory but not when you have about 30 in a stretched out group on the Monaghan Road. I'm regularly stuck behind groups like that.

Eamonnca1

It's a tad condescending to suggest that motorists don't understand how vulnerable cyclists are.

Motorists face a similar situation every day in that there are HGVs and buses on the road, and if you happen to run into one, it's game over. Hence we (almost) all give them a little bit more room and leeway. We all use our feet from time to time as well and there's genuinely not many people who take a risk when walking (or jogging) in a busy road system.

From my observations, those that are drawn to cycling - especially those who need lycra to cycle - seem to have a deficiency in this department. It takes a pecualiar personality to want to put your life at risk to ensure that others are inconvenienced for your pleasure.

Part of this festers from the pack mentality of getting involved in a sport, but I do believe most of it is a personality trait, which in any other situation could be described politely as a selfish disregard for others.

----

It's not practical to force cyclists to be insured. But it is becoming necessary that their actions and behaviours on the road are assessed, and if needs be punished, in line with all other road users.

I've read some sh*te in my time but that takes the cake. The mentality of cyclists is "we just want to get there alive." The mentality of motorists is "I own this road and how dare you get in my way, and by the way I reserve the right to break every traffic rule in the book while wagging my sanctimonious finger at the rest of yiz for violating non-existent rules about riding abreast."

Get a grip, you whinging shower of apes!

bennydorano

I got into cycling as a fundraiser for my club. I started off overweight and gradually got myself fit again, I've went through the stages from newbie to racing now. Cycling is a culture that most people don't get.

To say that " It takes a pecualiar personality to want to put your life at risk to ensure that others are inconvenienced" is a ludicrous statement to make. I suspect that is the mentality of someone who suffers from road rage at any road delay.

bennydorano

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 31, 2017, 11:28:49 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 31, 2017, 10:39:43 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 31, 2017, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 31, 2017, 09:54:31 PM
An asshole is an asshole wether he's on a bike or in a car and he'll generally act accordingly. As someone who rides a lot of solo miles I find threads like these (& the daily Facebook rants) very unnerving. Motorists (who don't cycle) have no idea how vulnerable a cyclist is, I have been down a few times in crashes & icey conditions and I know how painful it can be, I dread to think what a motor vehicle could do to me.

Group riding is a fact of life these days and motorists are going to have to get over themselves. It really is no different than overtaking a Lorry or the likes.

Regarding the opening post, taxing cyclists won't change behaviour. I can see a day when a chip system that might be the equivalent of a number plate will come to pass.  I already pay £80 odd annually for my cycling licence anyway - as well as my car tax, income tax & national insurance contributions.
Not this again. When a mass group of cyclists can move at the same speed as a lorry I'll stop moaning about them.

There is room for everyone on the road and I always overtake lone cyclists on the opposite side of the road as if it was a car. They arent the problem. It's the idiots who allow a build-up of traffic on busy roads who need to be sanctioned. Motorists in the south pull aside to allow faster traffic to pass, tractors (sometimes, the pricks!) aside to let faster moving traffic pass. Why can large groups of cyclists not have the same level of civility?
Just pull over every 2 minutes?

Surely a slow moving bunch of cyclists is easier to overtake than a lorry? I don't understand that logic?
As practically everyone has said above that is correct in theory but not when you have about 30 in a stretched out group on the Monaghan Road. I'm regularly stuck behind groups like that.
That's likely me and our club😅

Eamonnca1

And another thing. What's up with the title of this thread? We don't give out about soccer players wearing soccer shorts, or runners wearing running gear when out for a run, or swimmers wearing swimming gear in the pool. Anybody who gives out about cyclists wearing cycling gear when cycling needs their head examined. Try riding a bike 80 miles in a pair of denim jeans and let me know how comfortable that is, you depressingly fat clowns.

haveaharp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 31, 2017, 09:24:49 PM
Jesus! A lot of anger on this thread.... get a bit of perspective, nearly 70 people died on the roads last year, bad driving, drunk driving, texting or on phone.... drivers would need to get their act together

exactly - start with the morons on phones before worrying about cyclists i'd suggest.

punt kick

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2017, 12:00:33 AM
And another thing. What's up with the title of this thread? We don't give out about soccer players wearing soccer shorts, or runners wearing running gear when out for a run, or swimmers wearing swimming gear in the pool. Anybody who gives out about cyclists wearing cycling gear when cycling needs their head examined. Try riding a bike 80 miles in a pair of denim jeans and let me know how comfortable that is, you depressingly fat clowns.

Oh dear so everyone who doesn't ride 80 miles is a fat clown, bet you are on of the pricks skip red lights and weave between cars when traffic is slow, be some out cry if a motorist weaved between a slow moving group of cyclists - one rule for one set of road user and none for thw arrogant fuckwits on bikes.

yellowcard

That's simply a ludicrous statement. A broad sweeping generalisation that does nothing to help the debate but just plays up to a stereotype. Yes, there are indeed some cyclists who have little consideration for other road users in the same way that there are similar type motorists. To cast aspersions on their personality for wanting to enage in a physical pursuit is as daft as it gets.

thewobbler

Quote from: yellowcard on August 01, 2017, 09:29:29 AM

That's simply a ludicrous statement. A broad sweeping generalisation that does nothing to help the debate but just plays up to a stereotype. Yes, there are indeed some cyclists who have little consideration for other road users in the same way that there are similar type motorists. To cast aspersions on their personality for wanting to enage in a physical pursuit is as daft as it gets.

See here's the thing. There's literally a thousand active pastimes people can engage in. But cycling is the one that inconveniences other people going about their lives, more than any other leisure pursuit.

You and other cyclists believe you have the right to take "ownership" of roads.... yet these roads which cost thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of pounds per yard  to build and maintain, were not actually built for cyclists.

That said I'm more than happy that they have a multi purpose function and I'd even go so far as to encourage cycling. But, only when they're cognisant of their status; so if they're holding up normal traffic flows they pull over until it's restored, if they are behaving in a way that makes the road less safe for its other users, they are penalised and then banned for multiple infractions.

Is that really too much to ask?

Applesisapples

I have been a cyclist, though it is now more sporadic than it used to be, and my waistline proves that. I am always conscious that they are riding the road as it comes and may have to make adjustments for potholes gratings etc... That said there are so many cyclists, mainly it should be said in clubs who ride the road with a sense of entitlement and disregard for other users including people and vehicles. Cyclists also need to display some courtesy.

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on August 01, 2017, 09:47:38 AM

See here's the thing. There's literally a thousand active pastimes people can engage in. But cycling is the one that inconveniences other people going about their lives, more than any other leisure pursuit.

You and other cyclists believe you have the right to take "ownership" of roads.... yet these roads which cost thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of pounds per yard  to build and maintain, were not actually built for cyclists.

That said I'm more than happy that they have a multi purpose function and I'd even go so far as to encourage cycling. But, only when they're cognisant of their status; so if they're holding up normal traffic flows they pull over until it's restored, if they are behaving in a way that makes the road less safe for its other users, they are penalised and then banned for multiple infractions.

I don't believe cyclists have the right to take ownership of the roads, so that's simply not true. Some may behave in a manner that leaves you with this opinion but its the sweeping generalisation I have a problem with. In the same way that there are plenty of selfish assholes on bikes, there are also plenty behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I don't think tarring them all with the one brush helps anybody.

Taylor

Do cyclists in any way contribute to the upkeep of the roads that they use?

If runners are out on the road do they run 3, 4 or even 5 abreast?

thewobbler

Quote from: yellowcard on August 01, 2017, 10:39:50 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 01, 2017, 09:47:38 AM

I don't believe cyclists have the right to take ownership of the roads, so that's simply not true. Some may behave in a manner that leaves you with this opinion but its the sweeping generalisation I have a problem with. In the same way that there are plenty of selfish assholes on bikes, there are also plenty behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I don't think tarring them all with the one brush helps anybody.

Which brings us full circle back to the point of this thread.

Motorists when they behave irrationally, irresponsibly or dangerously, do so as an individual entity and it is their licence alone and their insurance alone, their reputation alone at stake. That's the ultimate deterrent. It doesn't always work, but it does work.

Cyclists don't face this deterrent, which is wrong in itself. But the problem is exacerbated further by the collective nature of road cyclists which sees them seemingly deflect and refute any instances of wrongdoing, and often in a militant way.

That, ultimately is the difference. When a vehicle causes a road accident, it appals me and every other motorist. When a cyclist causes a road accident, it is more often than not covered up and table-turned by his Lycra buddies.

ashman

The Irish roads had a sudden growth of cyclists from the start of the decade .  There was never a big cycling culture here like say in the continent.   A massive bandwagon grew in the last 3 years in particular and particularly the competitive culture that grew where people in their 40s thought they were doing TDF time trials .

Much of the tensions are coming from this .