Seasonal Fruit

Started by bennydorano, June 14, 2017, 04:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Great to see the Nectarines back in season and on sale at a reasonable price, totally worth the Hives they give me. Not fussed on peaches funnily enough.

Hardy

Why is it impossible to buy a ripe banana?

AZOffaly

One of life's little pleasures is picking a fresh strawberry in your own garden/greenhouse and eating it. I grow a few, and also blackcurrants and gooseberries. Nothing major, but it's really nice to just pick something, wash it under the hose and eat it.

BennyCake

My gooseberry bush was loaded last year. No more than a dozen this year. Frost must have hit it.

Can't beat a homegrown strawberry though

Owen Brannigan

Is there really a seasonal fruit nowadays?

In M&S today and bought Scottish strawberries that have been available for a couple of weeks now.  They are grown in the Dundee area in fields covered in poly-tunnels.

New season apples also on sale, didn't check where they were from.

bennydorano

Well, you can buy a punnet of Nectarines in January no bother but it'll cost you the guts of £3 for 4 or 5 pieces of fruit, whereas its £1.15 for 4 today, so there's that. I'm aware it's not a local seasonal fruit btw☺

macdanger2

There's some difference in taste between strawberries this time of year and the tasteless crap you can buy out of season

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on June 14, 2017, 08:39:19 PM
Well, you can buy a punnet of Nectarines in January no bother but it'll cost you the guts of £3 for 4 or 5 pieces of fruit, whereas its £1.15 for 4 today, so there's that. I'm aware it's not a local seasonal fruit btw☺
Yore just a man who likes a bargain. Send all your rotting fruit to Benny.

BennyCake

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 14, 2017, 09:33:13 PM
There's some difference in taste between strawberries this time of year and the tasteless crap you can buy out of season

IF people would stop buying the tasteless crap, maybe the shops would stop selling them. You can't beat a local strawberry.

BennyCake

Any tips on getting rid of greenfly? Don't want to use sprays if I can help it.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on June 23, 2017, 12:20:53 AM

I suppose a flamethrower is out of the question.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Lar Naparka

Quote from: BennyCake on June 23, 2017, 12:20:53 AM
Try sudsy water. A cup of washing up liquid or similar in a gallon of warm water will do the job far better than any commercial concoction. Best use a sprayer or a squirty bottle as you need to spray the underside of the leaves for best results.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

omaghjoe

Wud say breed some ladybirds :P, also you could try companion planting with natural aphids repellent plants such as fennel or chives which actually also attract the ladybirds. Tho dont think wither of these will be much use for you in the short term.