Super 8 or Stupid 8

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 23, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you for or against the Super 8 proposal?

Super 8 (For)
7 (16.7%)
Stupid 8 (Against)
35 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: March 02, 2017, 03:56:05 PM

Croí na hÉireann

Do you want to see 8 extra games brought in that will delay the club championships in 4 counties or are you happy to commit to a new structure for three years, which will sideline the CPA and whatever proposals they bring to the table?

Note that the motion to bring the date of the All Ireland finals back to August is a completely separate motion and is in no way linked to this Super 8 motion.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

sid waddell

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2017, 03:56:05 PM
Do you want to see 8 extra games brought in that will delay the club championships in 4 counties or are you happy to commit to a new structure for three years, which will sideline the CPA and whatever proposals they bring to the table?

Note that the motion to bring the date of the All Ireland finals back to August is a completely separate motion and is in no way linked to this Super 8 motion.
Did you write the questions for Donald Trump's media survey?

Esmarelda

Hilarious.

What four counties will the championship be delayed in? I want to make a very informed vote.

ardtole

From a personal point of view I would really enjoy watching the extra high profile games. But the need to clean up the club/county fixture dilema is more important and the timing of these proposals is premature until the more serious issue is attended too first.

Hound

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 23, 2017, 04:31:57 PM
Hilarious.

What four counties will the championship be delayed in? I want to make a very informed vote.
Croi must be very sure Westmeath is going to be one of those 4. Rather than one of the 28 where the players will be back to the clubs earlier (or at worst at the same time).

Esmarelda

Quote from: Hound on February 23, 2017, 04:37:30 PM
Hilarious.

Croi must be very sure Westmeath is going to be one of those 4. Rather than one of the 28 where the players will be back to the clubs earlier (or at worst at the same time).
I think the answer to my question is that the new proposal won't delay any championships but I'm open to being corrected.

Rossfan

Maybe we could have a poll on whether we want Westmeath eliminated from the Championship? ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 23, 2017, 04:38:44 PM
Hilarious.

I think the answer to my question is that the new proposal won't delay any championships but I'm open to being corrected.

Of course it will delay championships. Instead of taking 4 games to play the 4 quarter finals you will have to play 12 games to reduce the number of teams in the championship from 8 to 4. The super 8s will add a couple of weeks onto the length of the championship. So the inter county championships will have to start a couple of weeks earlier and time will again be stolen from the clubs where they traditionally try to get a couple of rounds of club championship in before the summer break. To be fair there is a shocking amount of spin and propaganda being put out by HQ over this that is muddying the waters.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Esmarelda

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2017, 04:49:22 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on February 23, 2017, 04:38:44 PM
Hilarious.

Of course it will delay championships. Instead of taking 4 games to play the 4 quarter finals you will have to play 12 games to reduce the number of teams in the championship from 8 to 4. The super 8s will add a couple of weeks onto the length of the championship. So the inter county championships will have to start a couple of weeks earlier and time will again be stolen from the clubs where they traditionally try to get a couple of rounds of club championship in before the summer break. To be fair there is a shocking amount of spin and propaganda being put out by HQ over this that is muddying the waters.
Yes, but you're not looking at the calendar. Every county would have exited the championship at an earlier date under the new proposal in 2016 compared to the old proposal, with the exception of two who would have left the same weekend.

The "spin and propaganda" is all in the proposal, nicely detailing these dates. Have a read of it. Perhaps I'm wrong.

AZOffaly

But Esmerelda, are the proposals for shortening the year not independent? i.e. if we kept the Quarter Finals as is, could we not finish the Championship in even shorter time?

This appears to be piggybacking on that proposal as if the Super 8 itself were shortening the season. It's not, the proposals to shorten the championship are creating a window for the Super 8s to be run off, and that in itself is 'lengthening' the new potentially shorter season. If you get me.

AZOffaly

Here you go. Motions 5 and 6 are the ones that deal with shortening the season

Motion 5: On a three-year experimental basis, this motion seeks to have the All-Ireland Senior Football and Hurling Finals played in Croke Park on or before the last Sunday in August on dates determined by Central Council. This would free up more time in the GAA calendar for the playing of club matches.

Motion 6: On a three-year experimental basis, this motion seeks to do away with replays in all inter-county championship matches apart from Senior All-Ireland Finals and Provincial Finals. Instead, extra-time would be obligatory. If passed, this motion would ease fixture congestion which can cause serious problems for the scheduling of club as well as inter-county fixtures.

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 23, 2017, 04:58:23 PM
But Esmerelda, are the proposals for shortening the year not independent? i.e. if we kept the Quarter Finals as is, could we not finish the Championship in even shorter time?

This appears to be piggybacking on that proposal as if the Super 8 itself were shortening the season. It's not, the proposals to shorten the championship are creating a window for the Super 8s to be run off, and that in itself is 'lengthening' the new potentially shorter season. If you get me.
Sorry, I'm working off the proposal paper that was issued. I'm working on the assumption that all three will be passed/rejected. I haven't considered them in isolation. I find it odd that they would put them forward as three separate proposals.

The point I was making is that the new proposals as a whole don't delay any counties' club games.

But, yes, it would appear that the proposals could be put through without the Super 8 which I'd have no problem with at all.

didlyi

The whole notion of there been 8 'super' teams is what turns me off. There was never 8 super teams competing in the same year.

BennyCake

No to Super 8. And No to the current format, full stop.