Started by Dinny Breen, May 25, 2018, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: gallsman on June 18, 2019, 09:19:39 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 18, 2019, 09:15:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2019, 08:47:31 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 18, 2019, 08:13:51 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 18, 2019, 05:25:45 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/ana-kriegel-murder-trial-the-complete-story-1.3929570

This is not easy reading.

So how did Boy B get found guilty of murder as it just seems he was present at the murder? Or am I missing something
Obviously the Jury decided based on the evidence.
He did bring her to the house, and he provided tape to tie her up or whatever.
So they felt he knew she was going to get assaulted/raped/killed.
I expect he'll be appealing.

Yeah I know that it's just the actual act of murdering her I suppose, it seemed all Boy A

You don't have to have struck any sort of physical wound to commit murder. The jury decided they were in on it together and it was premeditated.

"Common Purpose"

Ah I swear I'm not usually like this, I can brush most stuff off reading that article yesterday just has me questioning humanity.

RIP Ana.

Dinny Breen

Just so heart breaking. Maybe it's because I have an 11 year old daughter but it just bring tears to my eyes when I read about the case.
#newbridgeornowhere

brokencrossbar1

Tragic case.  As they are minors they cannot be sentenced to life.  They will do their time in the juvenile detention program till they turn 18 and depending on how that goes they will likely be released to a semi open prison and will serve I reckon 5 more years for Boy B and 7 for boy A.  Boy B has a few semi strong appeal points from stuff I have heard and I can see that being appealed.  Boy A is a different story altogether.  There are no winners here and these boys will eventually be 'outed'.  All 3 families are destroyed by this

Tubberman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 19, 2019, 10:36:00 AM
Tragic case.  As they are minors they cannot be sentenced to life.  They will do their time in the juvenile detention program till they turn 18 and depending on how that goes they will likely be released to a semi open prison and will serve I reckon 5 more years for Boy B and 7 for boy A.  Boy B has a few semi strong appeal points from stuff I have heard and I can see that being appealed.  Boy A is a different story altogether.  There are no winners here and these boys will eventually be 'outed'.  All 3 families are destroyed by this

It's not definite that they won't be given life according tonwhat I've read. Life is mandatory for an adult convicted of murder but not specified for a minor - seems to be at judge's discretion although they tend not to give life.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tubberman on June 19, 2019, 10:48:10 AM

It's not definite that they won't be given life according tonwhat I've read. Life is mandatory for an adult convicted of murder but not specified for a minor - seems to be at judge's discretion although they tend not to give life.

True but it really would be unusual.  This is an unusual case though and the judge may impose a life sentence.  Should that happen you will be guaranteed an appeal.  I still think 10 years for boy B and 12-14 years for Boy A are strong possibilities

GetOverTheBar

Apparently their pics are circulating this morning in the usual spots.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 19, 2019, 11:12:04 AM

No surprises there...sourced no doubt from a leak from AGS....

general_lee

Such a tragic story. My heart goes out to the poor girls family. I have much less sympathy for the other two families. The way they dragged Ana's family through a trial when they should have confessed and pleaded guilty is reprehensible. Even one of the parents still thinks their wee rat is innocent  ::)

Rudi

Poor girl had no friends, cause she was physically bigger than most kids her age and her hearing was poor. She just could not fit in. So the bullies do as they do, they go after the most vunerable or weakest in society. All of us are probably guility of bullying someone weaker than us, be it in school or in the work place. Its something socially wrong society and is unfortunate and difficult to address.
Boy A describes himself as someone who thinks differently, nothing wrong with that in my opinion, it should be encourged and harnessed in the right direction. He also like horror movies about ghosts and does martial arts, all these signs were picked up by the Indo as if to portray the boy as a weirdo, hate this about sensationlist journos.
Horrible waste of a life and boy A in particular deserves every bit of badness coming his way.
Excellent post by Easytiger earlier on.

laoislad

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on June 19, 2019, 11:12:04 AM

There was pictures up on boards.ie on the thread on this case.
I'm sure everyone in Leixlip know who they are anyway, it's not a huge place.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

Although the story is heart-rending and appalling, the well scripted IT article is a must read.

The investigation work was exhaustive despite it being a virtual slam dunk case. I assume the Gardai have to prepare a rock solid case that will endure inevitable objections to the inclusions of evidence and any exclusions of parts.
Interesting intervention by the father in the court after the decision was read out, a bully who begat a bully.

Tony Baloney

After reading that I'd be more adamant that parents should know everything their kids are looking at online. We have installed a programme on my boys phones to look a the apps they are using and can put parental control on.

That poor girl has suffered her whole life at the hands of bullies. What sort of society are we living in?!

I have to say the guards can get a hard time in the press (and rightfully so when required) but they seem to have put together a really good case here and well covered by the IT article.

screenexile

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 19, 2019, 01:55:59 PM
After reading that I'd be more adamant that parents should know everything their kids are looking at online. We have installed a programme on my boys phones to look a the apps they are using and can put parental control on.

That poor girl has suffered her whole life at the hands of bullies. What sort of society are we living in?!

I have to say the guards can get a hard time in the press (and rightfully so when required) but they seem to have put together a really good case here and well covered by the IT article.

You really have to the amount of stuff they can access is ridiculous and they'd be running rings round most parents who don't pay attention I'd imagine... still can't get over the horror of it all.

Hound

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 19, 2019, 01:55:59 PM

The Gardai did an amazing job in stitching up the case on Boy B.

Boy B may have been a stooge of Boy A, who was bigger, stronger, into martial arts, etc. Or he may have been the mastermind behind the plan (or at least very willing voyueur to it). The pure text of his interviews and the fact he actually called to her house and saw her father would give some doubt that he knew what was going to happen. But apparently his demeanour, tone, body language during all the interviews where he consistently lied, led the jurors to conclude that he was fully aware of what would happen to poor Ana.

If he'd taken Boy A's approach to dealing with the Gardai (say nowt) then he probably wouldn't even have been charged, never mind convicted.