Ulster U21 Championship 2013

Started by cavanlad, October 11, 2012, 09:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanlad

Ulster U21 Draw 2013

Prelim Round: Fermanagh v Armagh.
Q'Finals: Tyrone v Donegal, Antrim v Derry, Cavan v Monaghan, Down v Prelim Rd winners

Dates, Times, Venues TBC
My ignore list - Richiej

rodney trotter

Good be home again in the U21 Championship. Hopefully make it 3 in a row of Ulster u21 titles.

Aaron Boone

Very good Tyrone team on paper for 2013 and heavy hitters added to the management ticket.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 11, 2012, 10:38:42 PM
Very good Tyrone team on paper for 2013 and heavy hitters added to the management ticket.

Ten of the team that started this years final are eligible next year for Cavan ( and most of the subs). Could be another Cavan - Tyrone final.

FermGael

According to the local papers the current Fermanagh management handed in there resignation at Monday's county board meeting. Strange timing. I wonder what happened there?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Westside

I wouldn't be getting over confident Cavan lads. We heard that 'x amount of last years winning side are available' argument before our Minor game v Donegal last year and Donegal dumped us out without much fuss. It means very little at this level.

That said we will have a lot of lads lining out that have 2 Ulster medals in their back pockets and so they would be expected to have the quality get past Monaghan in Breffni. Tyrone with a shake up in Management and the usual impressive set of forwards will be the favourites I would imagine.

Can anyone tell me what the Cavan management is this year? I'm presuming Terry isn't going to be managing both sides.

rodney trotter

There is a bit of a difference in comparing that to the minors, 10 Started in a Ulster u21 Final and won, so that means a lot IMO.

Peter Reilly is the Manager, Joe McCarthy and Ronan Carolan are the selectors.

Westside

It won't do any harm rodney you're right but I would always be cautious. The U21s have succeeded in the past few years through massive effort and hunger, they can't rest on their laurels.
Moynagh, Clarke, Dillon, Jack, Flanagan should all provide a decent spine to the team. I hear McLoughlin is away on erasmus for the year and won't be available. Once again though we'll struggle to put up any big scores, no real top quality forwards other than Jack. Then you're looking at Nevin O'Donnell, Andrew Graham, Conor Finnegan, Conor Madden..

Hopefully Peter can continue on in Terry's footsteps. He's been along with him for a few years now. 

rodney trotter

Enda Reilly will be availlable, playing very well with Mullahoran,  , Dara McVeety (Crosserlough) both very good forwards.

Would Dara McGovern from kildallon be county standard? he was close to the minor panel a few years ago. Enda Hessin from Cootehill should make the u21 squad next year for sure and be close to the team. McCabe dropped him form the minor panel last year, very talented forward. McCabe made alot of mistakes regarding selection ect which didn't help this year, and they could have went further last year.

rodney trotter

Turloch Mooney will also be back next year, missed out this year with cruciate ligament injury. Paul McEvoy will also be on that team, Its a fairly strong side.

AFS

Fourth year in a row Armagh are away in the first round. Load of balls.

Westside

Darragh McGovern is overage for U21 I'm fairly certain. He's a bit small but has pace and racks up some big scores for Kildallon. Doubt that he'll ever get a county shirt.

The Minor game last year against Donegal was a strange one. Lots of people seemed to think that there was a much stronger Cavan team than the one who started and McCabe was taking a win for granted. Not sure how much truth was in that.

Turloch Mooney will be another good addition. I would also expect Conor Smith to be there or there abouts. Looks like he could be a decent corner back, young though. Hopefully we will have leaders in the squad again, lads like Gearoid, O'Mara, Barry Reilly. Lads who were willing to make sacrifices and that the rest of the squad wanted to follow in doing so.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on October 12, 2012, 12:26:33 AM
Darragh McGovern is overage for U21 I'm fairly certain. He's a bit small but has pace and racks up some big scores for Kildallon. Doubt that he'll ever get a county shirt.

The Minor game last year against Donegal was a strange one. Lots of people seemed to think that there was a much stronger Cavan team than the one who started and McCabe was taking a win for granted. Not sure how much truth was in that.

Turloch Mooney will be another good addition. I would also expect Conor Smith to be there or there abouts. Looks like he could be a decent corner back, young though. Hopefully we will have leaders in the squad again, lads like Gearoid, O'Mara, Barry Reilly. Lads who were willing to make sacrifices and that the rest of the squad wanted to follow in doing so.

Same Conor Smith who wouldn't play for his own club this year? I wouldn't be relying on him I'm afraid which is a shame as he has potential to be very good player.

rodney trotter

Yeah McGovern is over age, this was his last year u21.

Connor Smith was poor against Donegal, and I thought it was Clarke and Shankey who made Smith look beter than he was last year with the Minors in the full back line. He is playing with Killeshandra Juniors now.

Gerard Smith from Lavey should make it onto the team, classy player, probaly one of the better Minors against Donegal and was very good in the Minor Club final last week

mackers

Quote from: AFS on October 11, 2012, 11:55:11 PM
Fourth year in a row Armagh are away in the first round. Load of balls.
I presume that if they were to beat Fermanagh that the Down match would have to be at home. We should have a decent chance of getting as far as a semi date with Cavan as next year's u21s got to a AIQF at minor level. It would be good to get a run as we haven't gone well at this level in a few years. Hope the senior management take a better attitude to it next year than they did this year.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.