Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

As sure as the James McClean/Poppy row rears its ugly head every year so does the Steven Cluxton/All Star row.

Rory Beggan deserves the all star. Some Dubs think the whole world is against them.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mup on November 01, 2018, 08:25:21 AM
As sure as the James McClean/Poppy row rears its ugly head every year so does the Steven Cluxton/All Star row.

Rory Beggan deserves the all star. Some Dubs think the whole world is against them.

Yea. The hullabaloo over Mayo getting any last year must've gone on till Christmas.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Schkite

Delighted to see Beggan get a deserved award. After all the Cluxton talk following the final, I feared he'd have got the nod, but the right call was made for me.

It's just a pity that all the headlines are about Cluxton, overshadowing a great achievement for Beggan. Cluxton has been overlooked in the past but that doesn't mean he should have taken this year over Beggan, that would have been the real travesty. And then you have eejits like Brady taking to Twitter to express their utter outrage at this decision, him in particular going over the top saying Cluxton was "head, shoulders, hands and feet above anything else".

dublin7

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 01, 2018, 08:01:29 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 07:55:11 AM
Cluxton was screwed. Ryan McHugh and Ian Burke lucky as well. Thought Dean Rock and maybe Shane Walsh would get in

Cluxton had a few ropey moments. Beggan, barring his brain fart at the end of the semi final had a flawless year.

He was fault for the Fermanagh goal that knocked them out. His kick outs at the end of the Kerry game collapsed and Kerry got 4 scores to get the draw

dublin7

The whole world is not against Dublin. Just it sure what standards Cluxton has to reach to win an All Star. It's ridiculous to think that for all the domination the dubs have had and his role in that he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years.

Maroon Manc

The biggest talking point for me is Ian Burke & Ryan McHugh getting one ahead of Shane Walsh mainly Ian Burke as they were always only going to give Galway one.

I'm listening to OFB this morning and some of the talk about Cluxton is just pathetic. It was probably a 50:50 decision with Beggan making more mistakes but he also was involved in the more spectacular play, that kickout in the first half against Kerry was something else and he was kicking frees from distances that only a few could make.

I'm a huge fan of Ian Burke and he had a great championship but what won't be mentioned is how he benefits from playing alongside Comer who is double marked nearly everytime the ball comes into the full forward line. Shane Walsh really stood up this year and hopefully is becoming the player many of us thought he'd become, he has every right to be very disappointed.

dublin7

Quote from: hardstation on November 01, 2018, 08:54:58 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1028312802405040128?lang=en

Terrible, terrible goalkeeping.

Didn't cost his team the game like Beggan did TWICE. Once v Fermanagh and his rush of blood/kamikaze effort v Tyrone

Manning18

This is the least egregious of the Cluxton 'snubs'. Beggan was always favorite after that insane performance vs Kerry. McHugh is the bizarre one, superb player but two more deserving teammates alone this year never mind players elsewhere

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on November 01, 2018, 08:55:25 AM

The whole world is not against Dublin. Just it sure what standards Cluxton has to reach to win an All Star. It's ridiculous to think that for all the domination the dubs have had and his role in that he hasn't won an All Star in 5 years.

Are ye ever happy though? After winning 4 in a row and still giving out.

Farrandeelin

See KK about their goalie never getting one for a while when they dominated. Sure you compare them to your own domination so much...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Schkite

Quote from: mup on November 01, 2018, 09:02:32 AM

As a comment I seen somewhere else said, "If Dublin got the 15 spots they'd be giving out about their subs not getting all stars!"

God help any other keeper who wins an award until Cluxton retires, there's always those giving out that Cluxton was snubbed. I might be biased but Beggan had a fantastic year and I really didn't think there would be this apparent level of controversy. Sure he had a couple of off moments, but so did Cluxton this year, his season certainly wasn't blemish-free.

dublin7

Quote from: mup on November 01, 2018, 09:02:32 AM

It's not just dubs giving out about Cluxton not getting the award. I also pointed out that McHugh and Burke were lucky but the majority of posters ignored that and just commented on Cluxton or commented the dubs always complaining.

I would have had Dean Rock ahead of Ian Burke and Shane Walsh ahead of Ryan McHugh.

square_ball

I wouldn't disagree with those changes. Burke and Walsh was probably a 50/50 call. Beggan for my money had a better season. But again it was probably a marginal call. I don't think it warrants the outrage on social media to the point where it's devaluing Beggan getting the award.

galwayman

From a Galway point of view I was pretty certain we'd get a single All Star.
Ian Burke had a good year to be fair but having been at every Galway game league and championship in 2018 I have to say I think Shane should have got the award. For the first time in his career he was consistently good throughout the season.

yellowcard

Cluxton is a victim of his own success. He has set such ridiculously high standards of consistency that it has become harder for him to shine in the eyes of the selectors. I would have gone for Cluxton but I can see how Beggan got the award since he was excellent in the main throughout the year although he had little wobbles in some of Monaghans biggest moments of the year.

McHugh is another excellent player but I thought his choice was a bit left field as well whilst I think Shane Walsh is Galways best forward and can feel very hard done by.

As ever with these awards though, they are all subjective.