Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

Itchy

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 18, 2024, 09:49:33 AMAny of you see Declan Bogues iinterview on OTB?

McGuinness still holds a grudge with him and wouldn't speak to journalists at the Ulster launch unless he left.

12 years ago and still holding a grudge he doesnt sway from his principles McGuinness.

That's ridiculous. All he did was interview a guy and write a book. McGuinness would want to wise up, its bad enough he will be remembered as the guy who destroyed football for a decade but does he want to be remembered as a bitter dick too?

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: Itchy on April 18, 2024, 09:58:54 AM
Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on April 18, 2024, 09:49:33 AMAny of you see Declan Bogues iinterview on OTB?

McGuinness still holds a grudge with him and wouldn't speak to journalists at the Ulster launch unless he left.

12 years ago and still holding a grudge he doesnt sway from his principles McGuinness.

That's ridiculous. All he did was interview a guy and write a book. McGuinness would want to wise up, its bad enough he will be remembered as the guy who destroyed football for a decade but does he want to be remembered as a bitter dick too?

No sure you can blame him for ruining football despite what the media would make out.

That Donegal side played some great football they shouldn't be defined by that Dublin game.

Its the copycat coaches who have no innovation that have 'ruined the game'.

I agree though it is a bit ridiculous from McGuinness; I think his issues are that he believes there were inaccuracies in the book. But hasnt specified what they were as far as I know.

imtommygunn

It doesn't paint him in a good light at all. Not fair on your man Bogue who seems like a decent enough sort tbf to him.

I'd agree with what you say on the ruining of football southofthebann. People keep referring back to the dublin semi final but that was one game and if you look at 2012 donegal played some fantastic football. You could see he was all for defending in numbers and then break en masse at pace but they didn't have the fitness yet in 2011 to do the break at pace. The fitness you need to play that game is just not going to be achieved by most teams so you'll just see the defend in numbers and the last bit won't happen. That's not his fault.

screenexile

Also likes a siege mentality!

tbrick18

Quote from: Tones on April 17, 2024, 09:36:09 PMReally in a match we didn't lose we shouldn't worry about a soccer penalty shoot out because of the GAA imposing it to free up Croke park for handy money, strange logic.

Yeah yous did.
Worse than that, it's a match you should have won and had every chance of winning, but bottled it.
Derry in the week leading up to the final had an unprecedented level of upheaval and that was evident in their performance. Yet Armagh couldn't win.
We had Brendan Rogers on a black card at the end of normal time and the and most of the first part of extra time. Yet Armagh couldn't win.
Yous were a point up towards the end of extra time and Rian O'Neill gave away a stupid needless free giving Derry the opportunity to draw level - and they took it. All Armagh had to do was keep their discipline and they probably win. But they didn't.
Armagh were given yet another chance to win in penalties - but bottled it again.

How many chances to yous need to be given to win a game before you stop moaning about not losing?
It was a losing performance from Armagh all day when they should absolutely have won. And you're complaining about penalties? If it went to a replay we'd have won again too. 

Maybe that's strange logic too! ;D  ;D  ;D

So, silliness aside, I'm looking forward to the game against Donegal with equal measures of excitement and fear - proper championship game. I really hope we get an opportunity to contest another Ulster final - we haven't played Down in a final for along time  ;)  :P

quit yo jibbajabba

Ah jaysus, another Derry man losing the head 😋 - that must be several dozen on here now

Mario

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 18, 2024, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: Tones on April 17, 2024, 09:36:09 PMReally in a match we didn't lose we shouldn't worry about a soccer penalty shoot out because of the GAA imposing it to free up Croke park for handy money, strange logic.

Yeah yous did.
Worse than that, it's a match you should have won and had every chance of winning, but bottled it.
Derry in the week leading up to the final had an unprecedented level of upheaval and that was evident in their performance. Yet Armagh couldn't win.
We had Brendan Rogers on a black card at the end of normal time and the and most of the first part of extra time. Yet Armagh couldn't win.
Yous were a point up towards the end of extra time and Rian O'Neill gave away a stupid needless free giving Derry the opportunity to draw level - and they took it. All Armagh had to do was keep their discipline and they probably win. But they didn't.
Armagh were given yet another chance to win in penalties - but bottled it again.

How many chances to yous need to be given to win a game before you stop moaning about not losing?
It was a losing performance from Armagh all day when they should absolutely have won. And you're complaining about penalties? If it went to a replay we'd have won again too. 

So, silliness aside, I'm looking forward to the game against Donegal with equal measures of excitement and fear - proper championship game. I really hope we get an opportunity to contest another Ulster final - we haven't played Down in a final for along time  ;)  :P

I don't agree with the narrative that Armagh should have won. We led that game the whole way through normal time, we were 2 points up on more than one occasion in the last 10 minutes of normal time. I remember Brendan Rogers fisted an easy one wide that would have put us 3 up in normal time with not long left and it would have been game over. Armagh were chasing us the whole game, had their chances to win it too in the end but from the position we were in we should have closed that game out in normal time.

Armagh18

Yeah yous did.

Was that free the one where McGuigan took a bite out of him or was that a different incident?

tonto1888

Quote from: Mario on April 18, 2024, 11:28:03 AM

Yeah yous did.

I don't agree with the narrative that Armagh should have won. We led that game the whole way through normal time, we were 2 points up on more than one occasion in the last 10 minutes of normal time. I remember Brendan Rogers fisted an easy one wide that would have put us 3 up in normal time with not long left and it would have been game over. Armagh were chasing us the whole game, had their chances to win it too in the end but from the position we were in we should have closed that game out in normal time.

I never felt at any stage in that game we would win. Even in extra time when we were leading I never felt we would win

greatpoint

Most people (who don't exclusively breath through their mouth) would probably explain to you that McGuinness didn't actually force the rest of the counties to play in any particular way, that was completely up to them.

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 18, 2024, 11:49:00 AM

Yeah yous did.

I never felt at any stage in that game we would win. Even in extra time when we were leading I never felt we would win
We definitely should have won, but I'm sure we're both supporting Armagh long enough to very rarely feel as though we will win during a close game! 

tbrick18

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 18, 2024, 11:45:52 AM

Yeah yous did.

Was that free the one where McGuigan took a bite out of him or was that a different incident?

What bite? I didn't see any bite. Neither did the officials. So no idea what you're talking about.

tbrick18

Yeah yous did.

Did you not see all my wee smilies? lol.

Itchy

Quote from: greatpoint on April 18, 2024, 11:53:23 AM

Most people (who don't exclusively breath through their mouth) would probably explain to you that McGuinness didn't actually force the rest of the counties to play in any particular way, that was completely up to them.

I'd say you exclusively breath through your mouth.

marty34

Mc Guinness didn't ruin football - simple as.

Sport is always evolving.

I remember the interview with MÓD on TG4 at half-time.  He was chatting to Cassidy live and Mc Guinness came over to be interviewed (i can't remember if it was before or after the game) but they were yards apart with MÓD in the middle. 

It was just the timing of it and how they came together.

It wasn't long after the book I think.