Paddy Heaney of the irish news!

Started by culchy1, December 07, 2006, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

He described it on his gym page as a 'health and fitness column', whereas the Irish News announced on Tuesday that it would be 'a page laced with his own inimitable take on sporting happenings, a splash of personal fitness and a dash now and again of his views on wider current affairs.'

So I'd tend to expect something more in line with Paddy's own description, and not necessarily in depth analysis of the games that took place the previous weekend. I think it will be a good read, it will be something different and will be better than the crap that Danny Hughes and Kenny Archer serve up. I also enjoyed yesterday's article, it was a nice introduction to where Paddy is at with his life at the minute and sets the column up well going forward

Dire Ear

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 30, 2020, 10:44:15 AM
He described it on his gym page as a 'health and fitness column', whereas the Irish News announced on Tuesday that it would be 'a page laced with his own inimitable take on sporting happenings, a splash of personal fitness and a dash now and again of his views on wider current affairs.'

So I'd tend to expect something more in line with Paddy's own description, and not necessarily in depth analysis of the games that took place the previous weekend. I think it will be a good read, it will be something different and will be better than the crap that Danny Hughes and Kenny Archer serve up. I also enjoyed yesterday's article, it was a nice introduction to where Paddy is at with his life at the minute and sets the column up well going forward
Paddy,  is that you!  ;)

johnnycool

Got as far as this and stopped;

"All the men I worked with on the sports desk were proper sports fanatics... one even loved hurling."

If he's still involved with Bellaghy he should take a run down to their facilities and see some fantastic camogs in action.

Always thought he was a barbellend

GetOverTheBar

So the column is out today.....

It's alright, not exactly special tbh.

In 1978, the San Francisco 49ers finished the season with a record of 2 and 14. They were considered the worst team in the American Football League.

Then Bill Walsh was hired as the new manager.

Starting in 1979, Walsh got to work implementing what he called his 'Standard of Performance'.

Walsh was obsessive about details. He focused exclusively on how things were done, not the result. (See Walsh's biography: The Score Takes Care of Itself).

Ryan Holiday detailed the new culture which Walsh installed at the 49ers in his excellent book, Ego is the Enemy.

ADVERTISING

Ads by Teads
"Quarterbacks were told where and how to hold the ball. Linemen were drilled on 30 separate critical drills. Passing routes were monitored and graded down to the inch. Practices were scheduled to the minute."

And what effect did these radical changes have at the 49ers? Ostensibly, none! In Walsh's first season, the 49ers also went 2 and 14.

But those within the set-up could see that the results were not telling the full story. Standards were improving. Performances were improving. The team was more competitive.

Oh, and did I mention Walsh drafted quarter-back Joe Montana?

The following season, everything clicked. Montana took over as quarter-back and the 49ers won the Super Bowl.

I don't think Derry's new manager, Rory Gallagher is going to win the All-Ireland title in two years' time. But I can see parallels with Bill Walsh.

I was delighted when Gallagher got the Derry job. In my 15 years with The Irish News, I spoke to most of the top football brains in the country and Gallagher is up there with the best of them.

I also gather from reports coming out of Owenbeg that the players are buying into Gallagher's philosophy.

Standards are improving. The results just aren't showing it yet.

Eventually they will.

We just need a Joe Montana.

Practice makes perfect: Fitness trainers Ellie Gormley, Paddy Heaney and Oran McGuckin show how it's done
Slow and steady wins the race if you mean business
A BUTCHER in our town was once advised by his father to "keep the apron on".

The man kept the apron on and grew an extremely successful chain of butcher shops.

I was very lucky when the Train Station Fitness Academy opened that a lot of my first Group PT customers were self-employed business people.

It was a Godsend.

I knew nothing about running a business. They knew nothing about getting fit and strong.

It's what you'd call a mutually beneficial relationship.

When picking their brains for guidance, two trends emerged.

The first thing I noticed is that business people are very good at distilling their advice into a few simple words.

It might be the creeds they live by, but they won't use five words if they can use four. That's just inefficient. And a good business person abhors inefficiency.

Take 'Mark' (not his real name). 'Mark' joined Group PT soon after the gym opened. 'Mark' told me to strive for 'slow, sustainable growth.' Three words. Slow. Sustainable. Growth.

The next individual you'll hear from is mega-successful and mega private. Again, I've changed his name. 'Joe' started out as a very cagey customer. Before he signed up, he actually interviewed me. Joe maintains to this day that it was a 'chat,' but he spent an hour-and-a-half sussing me out in the Garden Centre café!

When 'Joe' started, he came twice a week. Then he got into it, and came three times a week. First he was a client, then he became a mentor, and now, he is very much a friend.

Joe gave me the best marketing advice I've heard. He got it down to two words. 'Joe' said marketing should be a "steady dripfeed".

Another PT client, a company owner, who runs two factories with an annual turnover of more than £100m tells his sales force to be "consistently consistent".

Hopefully, you'll have noticed the second trend.

Keep the apron on.

Slow, sustainable growth.

Steady dripfeed

Consistently consistent.

Now, here's the thing, and this is what I tell my businessmen clients.

Developing a strong, efficient, durable business is exactly the same as developing a strong, efficient, durable body.

The same principles apply. Consistency is everything.

When I talk to businessmen and women in these terms they get it.

When a business starts, there can be periods of rapid growth which are followed by periods of apparent stagnation.

This can be followed by slight bursts of growth which are followed by more plateaus.

What did they do when things appeared to have stalled? Did they quit? Did they stop turning up for work? No. They kept the apron on.

But therein lies the problem with most people when they try to get fit or strong.

Once they hit a pothole or stop seeing progress, they give up. No good.

It's all about slow, sustainable growth.

In the same way as you can't go from being a sole-trader to Fortune 500 inside a month, you can't go from couch potato to abs of steel in six weeks.

It all takes time.

You have to be consistently consistent. Through thick and thin. There must be a steady dripfeed of training.

To get slightly scientific, training is all about stress. There is an optimum level of stress that you want to put the body under.

Too much stress and you get injured, ill or burn out. Too little stress and the body isn't receiving a signal to force an adaptation, so you're wasting your time.

It's like cooking the turkey at Christmas. Turning the heat too high only means you'll overdo it and the bird will be destroyed. Too little heat and the turkey will still be in the oven on St Stephen's Day.

Cooked at the the optimum temperature (intensity), for the correct duration (frequency and volume), and you'll get results.

And whether it's business, fitness or cooking, it's all about results.

JohnDenver

Quote from: johnnycool on January 30, 2020, 02:39:02 PM

"All the men I worked with on the sports desk were proper sports fanatics... one even loved hurling."

If he's still involved with Bellaghy he should take a run down to their facilities and see some fantastic camogs in action.

He's a Watty Grahams Glen Maghera man. Nothing to do with Bellaghy.

johnnycool

Quote from: JohnDenver on February 05, 2020, 02:16:31 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 30, 2020, 02:39:02 PM

He's a Watty Grahams Glen Maghera man. Nothing to do with Bellaghy.

They play camogie there too..

He's still a bellend.

Wonder how many times he promotes his gym in the coming weeks!

GetOverTheBar

Main Street

I hope Paddy's optimism about Derry's slow steady improvement happens before they slide down the irreversible path to Div 4.

quit yo jibbajabba

Derry was in Div4 last year mate. And got out  8)

bannside

Paddys back in the groove. Keep er lit big yin. Was wondering where ED got so trim, now I know...lol lol.

ck

I rarely read the Irish News but happened to read a copy today. Heaney is a good writer but his article today is a glorified advert for his gym business in Maghera. His sucking up to Rory Gallagher was pathetic and OTT and again clear that its another business move as his gym will be used by Derry players.

Call me cynical but Heaney would appear to be back writing to enhance his own business!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: ck on February 05, 2020, 10:40:37 PM
I rarely read the Irish News but happened to read a copy today. Heaney is a good writer but his article today is a glorified advert for his gym business in Maghera. His sucking up to Rory Gallagher was pathetic and OTT and again clear that its another business move as his gym will be used by Derry players.

Call me cynical but Heaney would appear to be back writing to enhance his own business!

I don't think it makes you cynical, just means you have a working grasp of English I think.

yellowcard

Those were also my initial thoughts. One week is fair enough on his return to journalism but a second consecutive underwhelming column mostly about his gym just looks as though it is a self promotion column. Heaney was a very good writer but hopefully he will return to writing about what he does best which is gaelic football.   

naka

Definitely disappointing to date.
Call me a cynic but So Many issues in sport to deal with yet two articles about his business!

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on February 06, 2020, 10:01:18 AM

Those were also my initial thoughts. One week is fair enough on his return to journalism but a second consecutive underwhelming column mostly about his gym just looks as though it is a self promotion column. Heaney was a very good writer but hopefully he will return to writing about what he does best which is gaelic football.   
Try writing an article about football in early February.
In his mythical past in the Irish News did he write much of note in winter ? 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU