Cryptocurrency

Started by gallsman, September 01, 2017, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on February 09, 2021, 11:15:09 AM
Has anyone bought BTC through Revolut or what's the best way to buy??

Yeah that's how I bought it. Dunno if it's the best way but found it handy.

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on February 09, 2021, 11:16:45 AM

Didnt even know you could buy through Revolut.

It is £33k now.

Do people really think it will continue to rise?

thejuice

I use Coinbase, Coinbase pro and Binance. From what I understand with Revolut you are investing in their BTC fund on their platform and you don't actually own it and withdraw it. I could be wrong now but that's how it was anyway at first.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

trailer

Quote from: thejuice on February 09, 2021, 11:32:26 AM
I use Coinbase, Coinbase pro and Binance. From what I understand with Revolut you are investing in their BTC fund on their platform and you don't actually own it and withdraw it. I could be wrong now but that's how it was anyway at first.

I think you're right. What is the difference in Coinbase, Coinbase pro and Binance? And what's the advantages for the part time messer like myself over Revolut?

trailer

Quote from: Taylor on February 09, 2021, 11:22:55 AM

It is £33k now.

I think it'll go well over 100k. It's becoming more and more mainstream. But the key for me anyway is not to get in any deeper than you're prepared to lose.

thejuice

Quote from: trailer on February 09, 2021, 11:40:11 AM

I think you're right. What is the difference in Coinbase, Coinbase pro and Binance? And what's the advantages for the part time messer like myself over Revolut?

Coinbase is very user friendly and good for beginners. But fees are ridiculous for buying but you can swap between coins for almost nothing.
Coinbase pro is more advanced but fees are relatively low.
Coinbase have a limited range of coins and trading pairs.
It also has a reputation of crashing when bitcoin makes a big move which isn't helpful if you're looking to make a quick sale.

Binance is the biggest trading platform and has a huge range of coins and trading pairs. Fees are reasonable.

If you're a beginner be aware of what you are buying as bitcoin and etherium have fees associated with moving them off the exchanges to a wallet. These fees can be very expensive especially with etherium or any coin that is based on it (called erc20 coins). This probably isn't a problem on revolut but if you're using Binance or Coinbase it's advised not to leave your coins on them for too long but you need to factor in the cost of moving your crypto.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

RedHand88

Elon Musks Tesla have bought $1.5 BILLION worth and plan to use it as an accepted method of payment in the future.

To think there's people who still wont use a debit card.

imtommygunn

Quote from: trailer on February 09, 2021, 11:42:14 AM
Quote from: Taylor on February 09, 2021, 11:22:55 AM

It is £33k now.

I think it'll go well over 100k. It's becoming more and more mainstream. But the key for me anyway is not to get in any deeper than you're prepared to lose.

Yeah those are my exact views too. Throw in a few k and if something comes of it well and good. It's a bit better than gambling but not all that much lol.

thejuice

Although anything is possible you have to consider that there is only a finite supply of BTC and only so much is being released on the market. The likes of PayPal, Tesla, Revolut, Greyscale and a few others are already buying up more than the new supply can deliver so demand is only going to increase as other big players come on board like JP Morgan.

Now in theory the price shock keep going up for a good while but supply shocks can create volatility too. However these big players are likely hedging against inflation and are in for the longer term so unlikely to sell anytime soon but you never know for sure.

It's a high risk  investment for sure but more stable now than 2017 and 2018.

clarshack

Bitcoin is too slow and expensive for payments and it's actually more of a store of value.
The likes of XLM (Stellar) is fast and cheap for sending payments while XRP (also fast and cheap) has a use case for cross border payments.
Expect XRP to go through the roof when the SEC case is settled.

thejuice

Yeah. I have a decent stash of XRP but I don't plan on selling it till at least 2025. Ripple won't be the only ones in the SEC crosshairs though.

gallsman

This is correct. You can't move it off the platform or trade it.

Testing 50k, will go through it soon enough I expect. ETH also soaring. The first time I bought ETH (which I long since got rid of) it was at 45usd. Will go through 2k for sure.

thejuice

Polkadot (DOT) is being heralded as what will replace ETH. I've done well with it so far, that and Kusama (KSM) are using the same network and are worth holding together. The gas prices with ETH or any ERC20 token is extortionate. I try and avoid holding any if I can but I do have some but can't afford to move it right now.

thejuice

By the way if you own bitcoin and it's sitting in a wallet or on an exchange I recommend you open an account with Celsius. You'll get 4-5% APY on any BTC you store there and you get paid interest in BTC or their CEL token which will also appreciate in value with the rest of the crypto market. You'll get paid interest on accumulating CEL tokens as well so it has a big compounding effect the longer you hold. And you can withdraw your funds at any time.

If you want a referral link send me a pm and you might be able to claim some free bitcoin with your first deposit.

lfdown2

Quote from: thejuice on February 09, 2021, 12:04:09 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 09, 2021, 11:40:11 AM

Coinbase is very user friendly and good for beginners. But fees are ridiculous for buying but you can swap between coins for almost nothing.
Coinbase pro is more advanced but fees are relatively low.
Coinbase have a limited range of coins and trading pairs.
It also has a reputation of crashing when bitcoin makes a big move which isn't helpful if you're looking to make a quick sale.

Binance is the biggest trading platform and has a huge range of coins and trading pairs. Fees are reasonable.

If you're a beginner be aware of what you are buying as bitcoin and etherium have fees associated with moving them off the exchanges to a wallet. These fees can be very expensive especially with etherium or any coin that is based on it (called erc20 coins). This probably isn't a problem on revolut but if you're using Binance or Coinbase it's advised not to leave your coins on them for too long but you need to factor in the cost of moving your crypto.

So I have a few £ in Ethereum which I purchased on Coinbase back in Jan 18, so it's only really improved recently. My question is, is it costing me to have it sitting here - I had no real intention on shifting it and was holding it more long term (possibly amateurish...)